random Jewel questions: buckets of beer, bottle openers, and shampoo/conditioner

jazzydiver

Hi everyone, I searched the threads but thought I'd post to get up-to-date info. This pertains to the Jewel.

Are there any particular bars where it's better to get a bucket of beer? I mean, is there a likelihood of having more variety in what's offered if I go to one of the bars vs. getting it poolside? I'll probably just get one bucket and have it last me a few days - I'm not a huge drinker.

Also, do they give you a bottle opener along with the bucket, or should I bring one? (I believe not ALL the beers they have are twist-off...at least I hope not. ;-) )

I know there are dispensers for body wash and shampoo in the showers - is the shampoo a straight shampoo, or a shampoo/conditioner combo? Yes, there is a difference (although if you can't tell I'll assume I'll still need to bring conditioner). Just thought I'd save bringing one more bottle - I can deal with a shampoo/conditioner combo for one week. I'm in an interior cabin, not a suite, so I know I won't get any fancy toiletries.

Oh, I guess I have one more bucket of beer question - I think I read that you need to return the bucket to a bar after you're done, or you're charged a deposit; am I remembering that correctly?

Thank you for your help! :)

Jane

We were on the Jewel in July. DH got a bucket of beer a couple of times and he always got them from the pool bar because they had Alaskan beer. They did give him a bottle opener. When the bucket was empty the room steward took it away.

As near as I can remember, the shampoo is just shampoo. It didn't say anything about being shampoo/conditioner that I can recall. But I have dry hair so conditioner is a must for me.

Enjoy!

Melody

What's the price for theses buckets of beer ?

Price is based on what you buy - buy 5 get one free. They used to charge a deposit but haven't seen that the last couple trips. That may be because they seemed to get rid of the buckets like helmets with a handle to a regular bucket type.

Edited by dexddd

Last time I bought a bucket of beer they used football type helmets and you had to put up a deposit (a long time ago right). Since I no longer drink I can't say now.

As far as the shampoo, we just bring our own little travel sized bottles of the kind we like along with a bar of soap and just throw them away on the last morning, particularly when we're flying to port.

If you have a shampoo that you really like, just go to Walmart or Dollar tree and buy one of those small plastic bottles (3 oz) and put your own shampoo in them. Doesn't cost much and you have what you like.

I haven't paid a bucket deposit in several years. Yes, some of the bars might have different beers in stock. If there is one you like that you've seen, ask the bartender first. I've had several go off and get it from another bar for me (like the occasional Alaska beers).

Most beers are available in almost all the bars. They may need to go round the back to get them, but it's been quite rare that a bar hasn't had the beer we want (assuming it is stocked on the ship).

We end up leaving most of our buckets in our cabin and the room steward removed them for us. Just remember to put a towel or something under the bucket when it's in use, or it can make a mess.

You get a bottle opener with each bucket. We have a jar at home which we are in the process of filling with NCL bottle openers. :)