Question

sagj5052

i just flew this past weekend (not for a cruise :( ) but.... we landed on time but we were unable to pull to the gate because another plane was still there, causing a 20 min delay. Then there was a problem with MassPort and Southwest agreeing what carousel to put our luggage on causing a 45 min delay. Anything can happen 4 hours is WAYYYYY to close for me.

You will need to check in one hour before cruise so you now have a 3 hour window. Pack essentials in a carryon, label your check luggage with cruise information in case it needs to be shipped to your 1st port of call.

I have flight same day as cruise from Dallas to FLL 4 hrs before cruise time at Miami is that sufficient time to go from point A TO B:confused:

We fly into FLL from ATL all the time, if your flight is on time I don't think you'll have a problem. FLL is a small airport and once you are allowed off the plane you should have your luggage in hand in 30 minutes or less. We use a car service for the trip to Miami and depending on traffic it could take up to an hour.

Taxis are readily available as well as the carnival shuttle.

I have flight same day as cruise from Dallas to FLL 4 hrs before cruise time at Miami is that sufficient time to go from point A TO B:confused:

Is that 4 hours before your ship sets sail or 4 hours before the cut off to board? That can make a difference as well. I've flown with a few hours to spare and it's nerve-wracking. Last time we flew into Miami, the second leg of our flight was delayed by an hour. Luckily, getting our luggage and a taxi to the terminal went smoothly. We arrived at the terminal with an hour to spare before the cutoff time but so much more could have gone wrong and delayed us to the point where we missed the ship. On another cruise, we were flying in the night before. On the way to the airport, we were held up for a very long time in traffic due to an accident and actually missed our flight. It was the last flight of the day to our destination, so we had to go on standby the following morning. Because of these experiences, we try to get to our port the night before but I realize that is not always possible.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only you know what you time frame is in your comfort zone. I wouldn't risk it for myself.

While the flight is only about 2 1/2-3 hours there are so many things that could cause delays. It is not just weather delays at your point of departure but planes that are delayed from their origins, crews that time out ,over booked flights and luggage that misses the plane with no time to catch up. The airport is close to the cruise port but you could still encounter traffic.

That said, everything could go just as planned and you would be having your first DOD by 2:00.

I guess the real question is are you willing to have the stress before you cruise or not. Since you are asking it is obviously a concern.

What is the arrival time at FLL, and approximately what time would you arrive at the Port of Miami? As others have said, you'll need to be at the port and board the ship by 3:00 p.m. Is there an earlier flight that you could switch to without paying any additional fees? When we fly in the day of the cruise, we always book the earliest flight possible (a direct flight), which is usually around 6:00 a.m., and typically get to the Miami airport between 9:00 - 9:30, and to the port by about 10:00 a.m.

If you have carry ons you will be fine. I would buy the carnival transfers.

why? that is the most expensive option available. If you are thinking that the transfers will get you to the ship if your flight is late-- you are sadly misinformed.. buses WILL stop running at a certain time-- no matter what.

look into SAS shared ride. MIA is also about 45-60 minute travel time depending on the weather from FLL

the OP Is giving themselves no leeway time in case of an emergency

Edited by serene56

I asked the same question on another board - although my flight was getting in an hour later. My TA thought we'd be fine, but we're flying in January, through Atlanta, from St. Louis. I think part of it depends on the time of year....

Long story short, it freaked me out enough to change my flight to the day prior, making me willing to pay the $400 flight change fee ($200 each) plus the cost of a hotel and any difference in flight costs. Fortunately, the Delta agent I spoke with was very understanding and waived the fee. The flight ended up being $40 more pp, but no big deal for the peace of mind. Good luck deciding!

Yep, just going throw one more vote out there in favor of getting an earlier flight, preferabbly a day before the cruise.

In August I had a NOLA > ATL > KEYW flight that should have taken ~5 hours inluding my small layover in ATL. Perfect weather all day long in all three locations, was not an issue. Still had a 20 minute late start in NOLA (for reasons unknown). Had to circle ATL a couple more times than usual before they cleared us to land because of just how busy ATL was that day. Boarded my plane in ATL and sat there for nearly an hour while they troubleshot the unresponsive backup GPS system. They gave up on that and ushered us off the plane back into the airport where everybody made a mad dash for the help desk to get put on the next flight... which was 2 hours later, and obviously was not 100% empty - other people had that flight booked, and so our entire plane was fighting for the remaining seats. Which by the way, it's really handy to have your airline's app on your smart phone so you can switch flights like that in seconds, which is how I did manage to get one of those last remaining seats. I imagine the rest of the folks had to wait several more hours to take redeye flights.

All in all, we had perfect weather and it STILL took me over 10 hours to complete my ~5 hour trip. Definitely recommend flying in a day earlier.

I just read the OP again. I though you were landing in Ft. Lauderdale and sailing from there as well. Somehow the FLL was processed in my mind as Florida. I realized you landing in Ft. Lauderdale are sailing from Miami. In good traffic conditions that is about an hour trip. Please think this same day flight through again. I understand it might not be possible to come I the day before or less expensive to take this flight but please explore all of your options.

We are from the Midwest and usually cruise in the winter and I always told my husband we will fly the day before just in case the weather is bad and if we go in the summer we can take an early flight the morning of the cruise. This past January we flew to FLL and got on the plane and went no where. The plane had mechanical problems. We were suppose to land at 10 am and ended up not getting to FLL until 7:30 pm that night. I think from now on we will give ourselves an extra day just in case. I would hate to miss the ship.

I changed my flight coming in the day before ! :D Worried excessively about missing the ship .

I changed my flight coming in the day before ! :D Worried excessively about missing the ship .

Good decision. I wouldn't consider that worrying excessively personally. The last thing you want is one little delay making you miss the ship. Plus, it's not worth the stress. I know a lot of people fly in same day, but it's a gamble for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk