Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

Six years old or not, it is still a video of a riot on a Carnival ship over an itinerary change. Would it be any different if a high school janitor was running the show?

LOL, what are you talking about? Riot? really? It is not related at all. Surprised we don't have links to Leo and Kate on the Titanic. Let's keep it real. Some guests showed extremely poor judgement and hopefully don't exhibit what most cruisers or posters here would do. They were totally wrong and we can move on.

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

And for those who have forgotten, there was no Ebola on the Magic.

Excellent point

It is refreshing to see a poster here who clearly understands both sides of the circumstances

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent point

It is refreshing to see a poster here who clearly understands both sides of the circumstances

I would agree there are two sides. Carnival's (which is the right one) and some cry babies which are totally wrong (BTW, no matter what the reason is they either do or do not give or not give a refund). Whether you, or Traveler27, or me anyone else thinks it is right or wrong, they decided to give the people on the Magic on board credit and a future cruse discount. What was done on the Breeze was following their policy. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Maybe the passengers on the Magic got compensated not because they missed a port but because they were put in harms way. It could have been that one passanger tested positive then all those passengers would have been at risk. Thank god she tested negative. I'm sure Carnival didn't compensate them for missing a port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Missing a port is common, but usually due to weather related things with unsafe seas. The case of Magic has no comparison. Yes, before the ship returned to port, the blood test turned out okay, but while at sea, there was no way people knew this. Despite appearances of passengers having a good time, there is no way to convince me the ebola scare was not on their minds!

People now are forgetting the true nature of the extra compensation and now think missing a port is tragic enough to get the same. There is no comparison .

Missing a port is common, but usually due to weather related things with unsafe seas. The case of Magic has no comparison. Yes, before the ship returned to port, the blood test turned out okay, but while at sea, there was no way people knew this. Despite appearances of passengers having a good time, there is no way to convince me the ebola scare was not on their minds!

People now are forgetting the true nature of the extra compensation and now think missing a port is tragic enough to get the same. There is no comparison .

I just retread post #1. Apparantly there were 2 medical emergencies that caused the changes

We absolutely do not know what kind of medical emergencies they were. However, the point is the magic had a medical emergency as did this ship

Do they now have a sliding scale for medical emergencies?

Please no comments regarding Ebola as that is not what I am saying

I am saying since we do not know the extent if this current medical emergency we cannot comment as to its seriousness

For those who have forgotten, the compensation was decided and announced prior to any definitive tests, when there was still mass hysteria.

Compensation is on a case by case and cruise by cruise basis. Those who can't see the differences, don't want to.

I understand that they are angry they cannot get off the boat, but referring to the post below that said many cannot get off due to tendering issues; I wondered if anybody had issues getting back ON the boat due to bad weather and tendering issues?? now that would be cause for some upset, no??

For those who have forgotten, the compensation was decided and announced prior to any definitive tests, when there was still mass hysteria.

Compensation is on a case by case and cruise by cruise basis. Those who can't see the differences, don't want to.

Exactly. It's easy to be an armchair judge here, but not one would have liked being on board knowing or thinking Ebola was on board with them. Each did not know if they had come in contact with that passenger in any way because at that time the person was anonymous.

I'm not saying other emergencies are not important, but other emergencies do not have the potential to affect 3,000 other people.

JH Comment and pretty much the end:

"It was a difficult week for some of the ships due to bad weather which closed ports like Grand Cayman and I am sure as always most guests were understanding that safety must always come first and they enjoyed a brilliant fun day at sea with the usual excellent service and entertainment from the staff and crew."

JH Comment and pretty much the end:

"It was a difficult week for some of the ships due to bad weather which closed ports like Grand Cayman and I am sure as always most guests were understanding that safety must always come first and they enjoyed a brilliant fun day at sea with the usual excellent service and entertainment from the staff and crew."

Look at the difference, we have posts indicating passengers on at least one of the ships were yelling and chanting at guest services. However JH says most guests had a brilliant fun day at sea.. Sorry, but JH works for Carnival and always says everything is brilliant, where the people on the actual ship tell a different story. You have to take what JH says for what it is, a cheerleader for carnival. Obviously people enjoy his comments and get some helpful info from him, but you are not always getting the real facts and people need to be aware, just like watching the news on tv. Different stations report the same stories differently as they all have their own agendas as JH does

Look at the difference, we have posts indicating passengers on at least one of the ships were yelling and chanting at guest services. However JH says most guests had a brilliant fun day at sea.. Sorry, but JH works for Carnival and always says everything is brilliant, where the people on the actual ship tell a different story. You have to take what JH says for what it is, a cheerleader for carnival. Obviously people enjoy his comments and get some helpful info from him, but you are not always getting the real facts and people need to be aware, just like watching the news on tv. Different stations report the same stories differently as they all have their own agendas as JH does

Why would JH say otherwise? We had a post (second hand information to the poster) . No one has posted any further information, so we must assume it was a few upset people, not a riot.

Everyone expects to be, and should be treated the same . If they were dumb enough to give one group $200 and a credit, it is a pretty simple leap for others to expect the same.

Had they said that they were doing it because of an Ebola scare-- different can of worms.

Had they said for EBOLA bluntly and directly, that would have been one hell of a can of worms. Mass hysteria may have been an understatement. I think I'd rather miss a port due to weather and get a free drink, than an Ebola scare with the 200 and cruise 1/2 price.

I am one that disagrees that you can compare the two situations mentioned below. The missed port in Cozumel could have turned into a PR nightmare, since this was the first cruise where "Ebola" got mentioned. They had to do something drastic to take care of this. The second is just a missed port and these things happen from time to time, especially GC since you must tender. No wonder this country is in such dire trouble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travler27 View Post

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

Excellent point

Did they docked at a different pier in Cozumel than was planned?

Did they divert to Cozumel because of the first medical evacuation instead of going to GC?

Could they have gotten off in GC the day they were supposed to arrive? If it was diverted.

Arriving at 1 am for the second evacuation to GC then not being able to get off for anticipated weather, I could see how they would be frustrated.

If this was the case, then it wasn`t a typical missed the port for weather issue.

Hopefully this guy was...

[YOUTUBE]nZGdNxHDxKo[/YOUTUBE]

People, this video was from 2008, not from the recent cruise that the OP is speaking about.

And Carnival is doing the right thing by just refunding the port charge. It just gets me how selfish people are because a port was missed for a medical emergency. Damn, I know Carnival is the budget fun cruise, but maybe their philosophy of everyone should be able to afford to cruise needs to be looked at, price wise.

Remember when flying was a joy, now your crammed on those metal tubes with people that have no home training or concern about anyone else but themselves in a public environment because of low ticket prices; in this is United and American where prices tend to be just a little higher then the cattle car of the sky, Southwest.

I'm not the most expert in cruising, but have a few under my belt and I see the "It's all about me" mentality showing it's ugly head on every subsequent cruise. But because I love to see arrogant behavior, Carnival is my Petri dish to observe arrogant behavior.

See you all on the next cruise!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forums mobile app

Excellent point

It is refreshing to see a poster here who clearly understands both sides of the circumstances.

Where are the " both sides of the circumstances". You're joking right .

Perfect ! Edited by richstowe

Sitting in the airport waiting for our flight home from our Breeze cruise. The weather (after Key West) was horrible, rainy and windy making outdoor actvities pretty unenjoyable and probably not enhancing passengers moods. The change in itinerary was due to medical emergencies. Not tendering in GC was due to weather conditions--we were told it was not even a close call, just too unsafe. None of this was Carnival's fault.

We witnessed the crowd at guest services. Probably 50ish people just loud and obnoxious. After Thursday morning though everyone seemed to be enjoying the sea day activities. It was maybe not the best cruise we have been on but we certainly had a good time and loved the Breeze!

That video is six years old and is because of the complete change of itinerary. The guy yelling is (or was) a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Take care,

Mike

I am not as experienced a cruiser as many of you, but some things here make no sense to me.

There are quite a few (8-10) posts in this thread talking about peoples experiences on other cruises in similar circumstances. The post I responded to was asking how many people make up a mob? The video was originally offered, and I referred the other person to it, because it showed how bad these things can get. I'm not sue why that is less relevant than any of the other posts recounting their similar experiences?

Are you saying none of the other experiences are relevant, because they are not on the Breeze? Or do you feel this specific incident is not relevant?

I actually watched a few of the suggested videos that came up at the end of the one listed, and was surprised that there was more than one of these incidents.

When I read the original post, my thoughts were yeah it's probably 5-10 people. Watching that video, and the others that came up after it, put the situation in a different light for me. So it was relevant to me.

Just off the Breeze as well. We were originally to be in Grand Cayman on Tuesday, but diverted to Cozumel Monday afternoon, supposed to be there on Thursday. I felt so bad for the guest services desk! Also the shore excursion desk took a lot of heat as well. I went up and bought a bag of candy from a cherry on top for guest services, they deserved some sweetness in a sea of sour!! It was insane. We still had a good time on the ship, but definitely not the trip we anticipated!

I think the OP said the family member was on their Honeymoon? If that's the case I'm guessing they found a way to make the best of things. A not to be forgotten trip and story to be told for years to come. A little crazy to be sure but then again married life throws curves at us all so I'm betting this experience will serve them well in the lesson of snuggling up in togetherness and making the best of things together. :)

Congratulation and have a great life.

LOL, what are you talking about? Riot? really? It is not related at all. Surprised we don't have links to Leo and Kate on the Titanic. Let's keep it real. Some guests showed extremely poor judgement and hopefully don't exhibit what most cruisers or posters here would do. They were totally wrong and we can move on.

Oh. I thought they were disturbing the peace by profligate behavior, unrestrained revelry, noise and public disorder. Sounds like a riot to Webster and I. Riots don't need violence to be considered a riot. Would mutiny have been a better description for you? The point of the video was a response to andy.capitan's post about ringleaders being disembarked. I said I hope that guy was disembarked as the ringleader and provided a video of an experience that could have been similar to the one in the original post over similar missed port of calls. Another poster above, Domino, found the video to be very useful.

Edited by Disconnections

We witnessed the crowd at guest services. Probably 50ish people just loud and obnoxious. After Thursday morning though everyone seemed to be enjoying the sea day activities. It was maybe not the best cruise we have been on but we certainly had a good time and loved the Breeze!

Just off the Breeze as well. We were originally to be in Grand Cayman on Tuesday, but diverted to Cozumel Monday afternoon, supposed to be there on Thursday. I felt so bad for the guest services desk! Also the shore excursion desk took a lot of heat as well. I went up and bought a bag of candy from a cherry on top for guest services, they deserved some sweetness in a sea of sour!! It was insane. We still had a good time on the ship, but definitely not the trip we anticipated!

I think this is probably my biggest concern in cruising (no it won't stop me from booking), running into weather like that.

Glad you all were able to roll with it, and still enjoy your vacation.

I seem to recall Carnival disembarking and banning ring leaders of such disruptions.

On the Swine Flu cruise on the Splendor the Captain disembarked over 600 people who wanted to create problems. It is his right and people need to remember this. He can also have people "Black Listed" from Carnival and they have done it.