I missed the ship last week! Allure, at first port... what to expect...

klfhngr

yes, still friends. he felt terrible, all week long. I did tell him straight up: When I first saw you, I wanted to run up to you like I was going to give you a hug, but then punch you in face! lol.... it crossed my mind, but I'm not that type of person. I try to forgive.

When I spoke my family, he came on the phone and kept saying sorry over and over. He said there was money in his backpack and to take whatever I wanted. I felt bad though knowing that he wanted his daughter to have fun too, so I didn't take to much. In hindsight, I should've, my expenses we HIGH, as i'll explain later.

The good thing, he's a dentist, so we have lots and lots of 'free' dental work coming out way, lol!

I have to step away for a while, I can't just sit here and type all day. i'll do as someone suggested and put the rest on Word then paste here.

I have been chewing my fingernails, waiting for the part where you saw your

'friend' again and tossed him over the rails.......I would have hit the roof!

:D So disappointed!

I'll only add this comment: The first thing I would have done is call the phone number that is listed on the back of the RCI seapass card and had RCI contact the ship to let my family know my status and tell them I will do what I have to do to meet them at the next port of call.

"IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY WHILE IN ANY WORLDWIDE PORT, CALL OUR EMERGENCY TRAVEL TEAM IN THE U.S. COLLECT AT +1-305-962-2700"

I didn't know that. I guess I have never really looked at the back of our cards. Great tip..

News to us, too. We'll have to remember this tip. Hope we never need it, though.

I want to thank the OP for his story. It was keeping DH and I entertained while we waited at the airport for daughter and SIL to return from their 5th anniversary/2nd honeymoon trip. :) Their plane was delayed over an hour because of a failed engine. We had a bit of anxiety about the remainder of their flight, so this thread was helping to divert that anxiety. Thankfully, they are now home safely.

We rather like the style and drama of the story, Keeps us on the edge of our seats and cannot wait for the next installment. Reminds me of Middle Age Drama Queens post. :D

Yes, we too sometimes had to question certain decisions made by the OP, but we cannot fault, as we weren't in his situation. We don't know if the OP had ever been to Nassau, but having been their several times ourselves, we would know where to go and what to do. Would we feel safe??? Safer than we would had we been in Jamaica. :eek: The downside would be that we rarely take our passports, credit card, or any more cash than we need for excursions, when visiting in ports. We would have my cell and a full charge for photo taking.;) I have only recently started carrying the port info sheets. We may need to rethink this.

BTW - Our most recent visit to Nassau was spent on the Oasis. Beautiful day and wonderful views of Atlantis while up on the sun deck. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

Thanks for posting this.It gives some insight in case this happens.You never know what could happen.

Case in point my family and I went on a cruise to carribean stopping in cayman islands.My son gets sick the morning we arrive in port.So my wife stays onboard and tells me to take my daughter and go.So we go and take a taxi to seven mile beach.We have a great time.I go to check the time and I remember my wife is our time keeper with the watch.Im not wearing one.Ok I remember I have our camera and the time is on the screen,great Ill use that.So we take some pics through the day and video on it.So we head back about an hour and a half early.Plenty of time right?lol,guess what the camera time was off by an hour.Thank god I left an hour and a half early cuz we ended up just making it.But the point is sometimes the best intended plans don't work out and you just never know.

I'll only add this comment: The first thing I would have done is call the phone number that is listed on the back of the RCI seapass card and had RCI contact the ship to let my family know my status and tell them I will do what I have to do to meet them at the next port of call.

"IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY WHILE IN ANY WORLDWIDE PORT, CALL OUR EMERGENCY TRAVEL TEAM IN THE U.S. COLLECT AT +1-305-982-2700"

I corrected the phone number in the above quote just in case anyone writes it down. I had a 6 instead of an 8. Sorry, darn bifocals!;)

Waiting for the OP to continue the story.

A reminder of the Community Guidelines:

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted.

While the OP's style may not please all members, attacks and unnecessary criticisms are not productive.

To klfhngr, please continue posting about your experience when you get the opportunity!

I got my backpack and flipped it over and dumped everything out to see what I had. I had suntan lotion, wallet, old pp, birth certificate, my cell phone, headphones and RCL stuff. Oh, my swimming trunks and an extra shirt, which I usually do NOT carry or have on me, but for some reason I did ;)

I frantically grab my phone to call my family, it rings then nothing. I tried several times, then finally, my phone DIES!! HOW CAN THIS BE!??? No phone! I have no charger either, now what!? I grab the other backpacks and dump everything out! My friends and his daughters clothes from them changing at Atlantis, my sons clothes, TWO CELL PHONES! A charger for an iPhone, which I do no have. Two wallets, CASH, glasses and a wrinkled up $20 bill!....

I go to use one of the phones, it needs a PASSWORD! OMG, I don't have my friends pw. I grab the other phone, which belongs to his daughters. Bingo, no pw needed!! I start to call my other friend, which happens to be the phone owners uncle. HE ANSWERS!!! My wife, my sons are all there! FINALLY, I hear their voices! First thing I hear, we love you, we miss you! And my son, saying 'dad, I 'm so sorry, I didn't know you told us to be back at 330, I would've been there'. I said, its ok, I know YOU would've, its ok. As long as you guys are on the boat together, that's all that matters. I was teary eyed, but obviously had to act like I was ok and that I was in control. They asked me what happened? Where did I go? Where am I? Am I scared? No, of course I'm not, lol! ;) They didn't need to know.....

It doesn't matter what any of us think. All that matters is that your son knows you love and care for him so much that you would watch the ship leave because he might need you. We can learn from your adventure and enjoy your writing. You can hug your son and that is what counts. No cruise or vacation is perfect and until we are in the same situation with the the same emotions we cannot know.

Thank you for sharing with us. We have an opportunity to learn form what happened to your family.

Thank you.

It doesn't matter what any of us think. All that matters is that your son knows you love and care for him so much that you would watch the ship leave because he might need you.

^^^^^^This, exactly!^^^^^^^

Klfhngr, I hope you don't quit telling the story and I don't mind the different installments. It's like those long reviews that I like - except the pictures are missing. Are there any pictures? ;)

Seriously though, I'm learning from your experience and I want to hear the rest including the reunion with your family!

Edited by lemonade-sails

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted.

While the OP's style may not please all members, attacks and unnecessary criticisms are not productive.

To klfhngr, please continue posting about your experience when you get the opportunity!

Thank you. :)

I corrected the phone number in the above quote just in case anyone writes it down. I had a 6 instead of an 8. Sorry, darn bifocals!;)

Waiting for the OP to continue the story.

Just got off the explorer earlier this month and this is no longer on the back of the sea pass card. I'm wondering if the number still works?

Just got off the explorer earlier this month and this is no longer on the back of the sea pass card. I'm wondering if the number still works?

I got off the Allure last Sunday (same cruise as Klfhngr) and just looked at my Seapass card. This message with phone number is definitely there! I'd never noticed it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Peacemkr59

We were just on the October 12th sailing of the Brilliance and the number is on the back of our sea passes.

Just off of Serenade in Rome Sept 14-29 sailing.. this # is on the back of my Seapass. I never noticed it.. Thank you :)

(Just checked the last 3 seapasses before also from Navigator, Vision, Rhapsody... number there also)

Edited by Hoopster95
Added sentence

I believe the story. Not that it matters what I believe. Will be following along. OP, when you wrap it all up a summary post with costs and basic timeline would be helpful. Enjoy your writing style but also the cold hard digits at the end would give me some perspective too.

Thank you Jacquelyn!!

I've been following this for two days & can't wait for the finish. I've been amazed at the negative posts, pleased that the OP is continuing in spite of them, & very happy a moderator stepped in.

There's a lot to be learned here & I know we'll be doing things differently from now on.....................

We were just on the October 12th sailing of the Brilliance and the number is on the back of our sea passes.

Just looked at my card from our August 2014 sailing on the FOS.

No phone numbers.

only

"For your security, you will be asked to show this card at the gangway, when re-boarding the ship and when making purchases throughout the ship.

Please keep this card with you throughout the cruise.

If lost, notify the Guest Relations desk immediately."

i have learned some new things and have been reminded of other things by various posters on this thread - not by the OP himself.

1. There is an emergency number on my seapass that I can call.

2. Take a fully charged cellphone with you - we always do since we use ours as an e-reader and for geocaching. we bring a portable charger with us as well.

3. We will program the number of the port agent at each port in our phones - just in case.

4. We will have a contingency plan in case we or part of our family cannot make it to the meeting point on time. Maybe everyone will turn on their phones at a specific time in case we need to communicate??

And there are probably other things to do in case of an emergency that I cannot think of at this time. Please add any thing you think will be helpful.

I also think the cruise lines are contributing to the problem of missing the ship a teeny bit by shortening times in port. Because of this, there are folks that will cut it closer than they normally would because they are running out of time to do their excursion, beach day, or whatever. Please understand I am not blaming the cruise lines as folks need to manage their port times, but a longer day in port would probably cut down on those missing the ship. That did not appear to be a factor in this case, however.

Aloha!

Wow, I'm really disappointed at how people just HAVE to comment something negative, or what they would have done.

Personally, I've learned alot. We've always just carried a credit card with us, no phone, no phone numbers.....nothing. Of course, we haven't come close to missing the ship, but there's always a first time.

I usually carry my phone as a back-up camera. I'll continue to do so, but before we leave the ship I'll take a picture of the port agent's information. For some reason I never thought to do that before.

Probably the first thing I'll do when I get my sea pass on the Oasis in a few weeks is flip it over to look for the emergency number on the back! :)

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i have learned some new things and have been reminded of other things by various posters on this thread - not by the OP himself.

1. There is an emergency number on my seapass that I can call.

2. Take a fully charged cellphone with you - we always do since we use ours as an e-reader and for geocaching. we bring a portable charger with us as well.

3. We will program the number of the port agent at each port in our phones - just in case.

4. We will have a contingency plan in case we or part of our family cannot make it to the meeting point on time. Maybe everyone will turn on their phones at a specific time in case we need to communicate??

And there are probably other things to do in case of an emergency that I cannot think of at this time. Please add any thing you think will be helpful.

I also think the cruise lines are contributing to the problem of missing the ship a teeny bit by shortening times in port. Because of this, there are folks that will cut it closer than they normally would because they are running out of time to do their excursion, beach day, or whatever. Please understand I am not blaming the cruise lines as folks need to manage their port times, but a longer day in port would probably cut down on those missing the ship. That did not appear to be a factor in this case, however.

Aloha!

I usually look at the precautions & print out the addy & phone number of the American Consulate office for the islands I'm visiting. Temporarily program it in my phone. Some think it's over prepared but one never knows what might happen. It could be as "minor" :eek: as getting left behind or as serious as a riot or revolution so I feel it's a small thing to do just as a precaution.