Carnival or Celebrity for an Alaskan cruise?

NOSaints1

I've got a post on the Celebrity thread, we've had 3 cruises on Carnival and looking at 2016, I know the dates aren't out yet, Celebrity dates are out next month and having a good sale. I did a mock booking for June 2015 to see what the prices would be like Carnival for a balcony was around 3200 US and on the Soltice was about the same on an Aqua Class but inCDN which is better for us. Whatre your thoughts on the Legend or do you think it would be better to jump ship and try Celebrity which is known for 5 star cuisine, superb service?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did our first Solstice class cruise this past April and we were blown away. It was amazing.

We've spent a lot of time Spirit class ships (The Spirit) -- it is a great design, well laid out.

The food tends to be better on Celebrity, though not as big a difference as some think.

Some of the best waiters we've ever had were on Carnival. The worst waiter we ever had, happened to have been on Celebrity.

If pricing were anything close to the same, we'd take Celebrity. We prefer the low-key style, no announcements and small stuff like that.

We've never sprung for the added cost of Aqua Class. Enjoy your trip, whatever you choose. :)

How does the Miracle compare to the Legend?

They are both Spirit class ships. The only difference is the decor. Layout and size is identical.

Miracle is still my favorite ship, with Legend and Pride tied for #2.

Edited by stargate fan

We were soooo tempted to sail on the Solstice when we sailed to Alaska last year, but ultimately, we went with a ship that gave us the best itinerary possible (we selected the Westerdam from Holland America which visited Glacier Bay and Sitka, and sailed on a Saturday).

One thing that you will realize about Alaska is that this is one cruise where it's mostly about the itinerary and not as much about the ship. So look for itinerary first, then ship. The Solstice, while an absolutely beautiful ship, doesn't go to Glacier Bay, it goes to Tracy Arm. Chances are high that you will not make it all the way to the Sawyer Glacier since it's a very narrow fjord, and the Solstice is so big. Many times, this transit is skipped altogether if you're sailing when there's a lot of ice blocking the way.

I highly recommend that you look at both Princess and Holland America. Nobody does Alaska like these two cruise lines. They have the largest number of ships as well as the most varied list of itineraries and land tours. Carnival, with only one ship and a mediocre itinerary, would be at the bottom of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Isn't HAL more for older people, more expensive?

HAL was actually cheaper than all other cruise lines, including Carnival. Because HAL has so many ships in Alaska, they have a lot of inventory to sell. You're MUCH more likely to see promotions and specials. For example, we took advantage of a Kids Sail Free promotion, followed by several price drops, followed by a free upgrade to a balcony, and finally, an OBC!

About the clientele, I was a bit concerned since I had read many times that the average HAL cruiser has a foot in the grave. While we did see a handful of people that met that description, I'm glad to say that the stereotype was exactly that, a stereotype. Myth busted! Fellow cruisers ranged from young to old. From singles, to couples to families. From seasoned cruisers to first timers. In a nutshell, a very similar crowd to what we've encountered on Carnival.

Admittedly, this was a 7 night cruise, out of a US port, and during the summer. Demographics may have been substantially different had this been a long, exotic itinerary. But that rule would apply no matter what cruise line.

Edited by Tapi

We just booked our Alaskan cruise for next year on the Carnival Legend. After much research and posts on these boards we decided we wanted to go to Glacier Bay and that narrowed it down. Only Princess, Hal, and some Carnival cruises go there. So now it was down to 3 lines. We've done many cruises on Carnival and always loved it. Our cruises on RCL and Celebrity were also great but they do not go to Glacier Bay. So now it was comparing prices and Carnival won out. I had heard that Princess had a naturalist on board and with more questions here found out Carnival does that too. So as others have said.....I thing the itinerary is more important than the ship for Alaskan cruises. Good luck and enjoy your cruise whatever you choose.

We just booked our Alaskan cruise for next year on the Carnival Legend. After much research and posts on these boards we decided we wanted to go to Glacier Bay and that narrowed it down. Only Princess, Hal, and some Carnival cruises go there. So now it was down to 3 lines. We've done many cruises on Carnival and always loved it. Our cruises on RCL and Celebrity were also great but they do not go to Glacier Bay. So now it was comparing prices and Carnival won out. I had heard that Princess had a naturalist on board and with more questions here found out Carnival does that too. So as others have said.....I thing the itinerary is more important than the ship for Alaskan cruises. Good luck and enjoy your cruise whatever you choose.

I believe RCL was banned from Glacier Bay.

Did both Princess and Carnival in AK like both. Celebrity and I have had issues. I hate that they have a aqua class and it excludes you from some of the things we like if you didn't pay upfront for aqua class. So thing we didn't know when we booked stupid TA assured us there was no classes on Celebrity but there is. That being said there are no bad cruises to AK but I we always book the side of the ship that faces the coast.

Celebrity was a nice change for us. And if would have been an amazing vacation had it not been for a very large group from another country that were above the rules. I have never been treated so badly by a group of other cruisers. They were gross and physical and rude. Even the poor staff was beyond belief.

Alaska is beautiful and aqua was awesome. But I will stick with Carnival. I believe they would have put their foot down and reined in these people.

I would also recommend you open your options.

I loved Glacier Bay. I doubt I could do an Alaska cruise without it.

I am currently thinking of doing another cruise to Alaska next year and I have 3 cruise lines I am thinking about. Holland America, Princess, & Norwegian.

Since I have already cruised to Alaska on Holland America (Westerdam) I know what it is. I did it on the shoulder season and while I fully enjoyed the cruise. Next time it will be in July. Sunset at 10 PM sounds awesome for the sightseeing.

But those three do Glacier Bay and just sitting on my balcony in front of Marjorie Glacier and listening to the ice. Nothing is as peaceful.

I am currently looking at the Northbound Norwegian Sun that stops at Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. I am not sure if I could top that.

But Alaska is definitely a itinerary cruise. Look at where you will go. Granted since that is my only cruise my views might be off but my memories were our stops.

Carnival does go to Glacier but from what I remember it is only the first and last cruise of the season. Cheaper but more likely to have crappy weather.

Did both Princess and Carnival in AK like both. Celebrity and I have had issues. I hate that they have a aqua class and it excludes you from some of the things we like if you didn't pay upfront for aqua class. So thing we didn't know when we booked stupid TA assured us there was no classes on Celebrity but there is. That being said there are no bad cruises to AK but I we always book the side of the ship that faces the coast.

What, exactly, were you banned from since you weren't in Aqua? We sailed in Aqua and the only thing I can think of that we got and you didn't was a private dining room, Blu. You had the main dining room and ALL of the other eating options onboard.

I've got a post on the Celebrity thread, we've had 3 cruises on Carnival and looking at 2016, I know the dates aren't out yet, Celebrity dates are out next month and having a good sale. I did a mock booking for June 2015 to see what the prices would be like Carnival for a balcony was around 3200 US and on the Soltice was about the same on an Aqua Class but inCDN which is better for us. Whatre your thoughts on the Legend or do you think it would be better to jump ship and try Celebrity which is known for 5 star cuisine, superb service?

Hi. I have cruised Carnival man y times as well as Holland America. I did one Celebrity cruise....to Alaska. HORRIBLE. The so called service they tout themselves about so much was non existent. The "butler" service for the suites was SO over rated. And no compassion or follow up from customer service, either on board or the corporate office. I for one will NEVER sail Celebrity sgain. MAke your own choice, and if you decide on Celebrity, good luck.

NCL has one ship that goes weekly to Glacier Bay, believe it is the Pearl. NCL Sun also, and Jewel early in the season. EM

Princess is the best choice for Alaska IMO.

What makes Princess special for Alaska?

We just returned from our first Princess cruise, and although it was a short itinerary along the Pacific Coast, it was enough to rank this cruise line as one of our favorite. Our ship, the Golden Princess, was one of the most beautiful, elegant, and tastefully decorated ships that we have ever sailed on. The ship was "more adult" and sophisticated with places like The Sanctuary, The Piazza, and the alternative dining venues like Sabatini's and the Crown Grille. Entertainment is also of a higher caliber. We were surprised at the number and variety of entertainers onboard even though it was short sailing.

The attention to detail was a notch above. For example, something as simple as a cold towel upon boarding after a long day of sightseeing was a nice and welcome touch. Also, things that are now "for a fee" on Carnival, like stateroom decorations and anniversary cakes, are still complimentary on Princess. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary and it was very nice to have these things waiting for us without even asking for them. We were just asked if we were celebrating anything during the cruise when we pre-registered online.

About Alaska, Princess is one of the few cruise lines that has season-long permits to go to Glacier Bay, which is easily the highlight of an Alaskan cruise. A lot of people will argue that Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm offer spectacular views as well, but if you ask, Glacier Bay is most often mentioned as the place not to miss.

With several ships, Princess offers many itineraries to choose from, ranging from your basic 7 night roundtrip out of Seattle, to one way itineraries with a pre or post cruise land tour deeper into Alaska, to longer itineraries from San Francisco. Some will visit Glacier Bay, others will visit Tracy Arm, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, or a combination of these. Also, they own and operate the various lodges that they use for their land tours. You can choose an itinerary that is truly tailored to fulfill your wishes, instead of you having to adjust to the limited options offered by other cruise lines not as experienced in Alaska. Also, while most cruise lines will have a naturalist onboard, many times a Park Ranger, Princess is known for bringing truly interesting and exceptional speakers on their ships.

Princess, along with Holland America, have been doing Alaska the longest, so I would go with either one of these two cruise lines before I go with any other in Alaska.

Edited by Tapi

What makes Princess special for Alaska?

Nothing. Some people like to say it's because they've been cruising Alaska the longest, but I've yet to hear how that makes one bit of difference.

Glacier Bay itineraries, in my opnion, are the best, as are one-way cruises out of either Seward, Whittier or Vancouver.

As for the original question, the Celebrity Solstice is arguably the most beautiful ship sailing Alaska. The Legend can't touch the Solstice.

That said, I do not like round trip Seattle cruises and I don't recommend them. You miss the inside passage and the required foreign port Victoria stop is a waste of a day. It's the only thing I don't like about the Solstice cruise. I don't know what Legend is doing, so if it's the same itinerary, pick Solstice. If it's a one-way or out of Vancouver, I recommend Legend.

the required foreign port Victoria stop is a waste of a day.

I felt like that before we sailed, but our short stop in Victoria turned out to be a highlight of our cruise. Since debarkation was the next day, spending most of the day at sea was a blessing in disguise as it gave us time to relax , unhurriedly pack, and have our bags ready before arriving in Victoria. We arrived at 6pm, and our taxi quickly dropped us off near the Parliament. From there, we walked along the beautiful waterfront, over to the Fairmont, then up the streets for some shopping before enjoying a nice dinner at a local restaurant. Since sunset wasn't until past 10pm, we had sunlight until we were almost ready to head back to the ship around 11pm. Victoria is an absolutely beautiful city, and it's one of those places that made us wish that we could come back some day and spend more time. :)

Edited by Tapi