Wheelchair help for boarding at Port Everglades

the2ofus

Will be boarding Eurodam in December. My roommate is a friend who has difficulty walking really long distances or standing a long time. I'm a bit concerned about the boarding process. When and where can we access a wheelchair for use during boarding?

I am a 4-star mariner so we will be able to use priority boarding and I hope that line will be short. Anyone with experience with mobility problems who can give me some advice?

Edited by the2ofus

Will be boarding Eurodam in December. My roommate is a friend who has difficulty walking really long distances or standing a long time. I'm a bit concerned about the boarding process. When and where can we access a wheelchair for use during boarding?

I am a 4-star mariner so we will be able to use priority boarding and I hope that line will be short. Anyone with experience with mobility problems who can give me some advice?

My husband has the same problems. I called Hal directly to make arrangements for a wheelchair for embarkation. It is printed on our boarding pass. Try calling them, they were very helpful to me. Good Luck:)

Ft. Lauderdale, like other US ports, is more complicated for wheelchair boarding that other ports. Having it on your record that you need wheelchair assistance is necessary, but doesn't get the process started when you arrive.

When you arrive, settle your friend on one of the benches outside while you find a HAL person. Let that person know you need a wheelchair for her and find out what he/she wants you to do in the meantime. There may be one available right away, or you may have to wait a bit.

Someone from the port will eventually come and get your friend to take you both inside. Here's where it gets tricky. The port person can't wheel your friend on to the ship, and the ship's people can't come all the way out. At some point after getting inside---sometimes before check-in, and sometimes after---your friend will have to switch to a HAL wheelchair. There may be a time sitting in a chair in between.

At least that's how it went for me. It's a very frustrating process now. In the past, the HAL stewards picked you up outside and stayed with you all the way to your cabin. In the US it doesn't work that way anymore. The HAL stewards can't come past the check-in desk.

But be patient and you and your friend will get on the ship with assistance.

Edited by RuthC

Thanks to all for the help. I knew I could count on you! We just booked yesterday. (I just love spur-of-the-moments decisions like this. Truly!) I'll see her tomorrow and we'll work out how we want to arrange this. Airports are the most difficult for her and we've got that settled. I know that once on board she'll do well with just her cane. Really looking forward to a restful week.

My sister broke her foot but was determined to go on her cruise so she ordered a wheelchair for boarding and disembarking thru her TA. As they were unloading at the terminal (she had a big black boot cast), a rep ran up with her wheelchair, whisked them into the terminal, up to the counter and onto the ship. She was amazed at the service and speed. Hope it works as well for you.