Cabin. Do you cruise inside, balcony, suite???

Thrak

I've had everything but an inside. The way I bargain hunt I can find an oceanview for the price of an inside. Luck and persistence have also helped with obtaining upgrades. I've been on 12 cruises of which I've had two balcony cabins, three mini suites (all upgrades) and seven plain old oceanviews. No obstructed views that I can recall. My first cruise was in 1989 for the 10th anniversary of me and my then husband. Subsequent cruising was with our daughters beginning when each was about one year old. My two cruises in 2014 were as a single woman; in January I took my 18 year old daughter and her friend on the Carnival Splendor where our ocanview cabin was more than adequate for the three of us. We three split the cost of two because the sale was 3rd and 4th person free. In September 2014 two friends and I splurged on a balcony cabin because we hooked up with a sale of "children free" and we were upgraded to a mid ship mini suite on the Norwegian Breakaway where the cabin was much smaller than what I had in January on a Carnival ship. I love cruising but I won't take an inside because I love to see daylight, sky and water. I also prefer an upper deck.

I have to admit that I have never even stayed in a suite. Would like to maybe someday if i can afford it. But right now, I am very happy to be able to travel and see as many places as I can. We went on a transatlantic cruise with an inside cabin. Loved it. Have gone to Alaska with inside - I do think a balcony would have been nice, but finances dictated otherwise. Still had a wonderfull time. Have gone to the Caribbean many times, both with inside & balcony. Loved all of them.

My philosophy is - it is what you make it.

Besides how many vacations let you pay for it over time before you take it. Kind of like layaway, but with better benefits.

Just my two cents.

We started our cruising with P & O Australia cruising the South Pacificand NZ using inside cabins, did a couple with Super Star & HAL outside and balcony also QM2 with a balcony which was a waste as it was too cold to appreciate it the last 12 cruises have been with Princess using inside, no problems with inside as we find we only use ourcabin for sleeping but if the ever want to upgrade us I will gladly accept

Alot depends on the itinerary. I'm going on Princess' summer solstice cruise to Norway next summer, and the pros of a balcony cabin is getting to see the beauty of the Norwegian scenery at any time. The cons are that it will be light 24-hours a day, which some have said is disorienting and makes it difficult to sleep. While sleep masks may help, they still can let light in. I went with the balcony, however, because the scenery won out. If the cruise is more historical than scenery oriented, however, an inside cabin or a outside ocean view cabin would be fine.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I've had everything from inside to mini-suite. My next two cruises are in the cheapest oceanview I could find. With the "new" furniture on the balconies so uncomfortable, rendering the balcony unusable for me other than a check on the outside temps or maybe a look-see, I'm not willing to pay for a balcony. I had a balcony on the Royal last month but that was only because there are no oceanview cabins on the Royal and I was able to upgrade myself from an inside for relatively little money. I would really prefer not to do an inside again.

We too have sailed in every category except full suites and every cruise has been good. We too are very unhappy about the new balcony furniture, so much so that we are considering Celebrity. We will give Princess balconies one more try: I have some ideas about how to roll towels for the chair and plan to bring an inflatable footstool. As it stands now, I don't view Princess balcony and mini suites as being the same value that they were with the old furniture, so we need to see a lower price on them. We would pay a bit more for a Celebrity balcony. If we can't get the Princess furniture to work for us and we still want to sail Princess, we will book an inside or oceanview.

I've been on 10 cruises all inside except for my last cruise 2 months ago on the Allure. I decided to splurge so I booked a neighborhood balcony but then 2 weeks before the cruise I decided to spend the extra 200 and get a ocean balcony instead, and im glad I did... it was amazing being on the biggest ship waking up every morning and watching the sunrise! I enjoyed being in the cabin more and didnt feel feel like I needed to rush put of cabin like I feel with a inside. I wish I could book a balcony every cruise but most likely do insides to save money for other stuff. But it was worth the extra cost for that sailing, it made it special and I will never forget that ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I will take whatever I can afford at the time, whether that be an inside or a suite. I don't really like being in inside cabins as part of the experience to me is being able to look out your window. A picture window is fine to me if it doesn't make financial sense to book a balcony. I think my thinking is that if there is an itinerary that is really expensive but goes to great ports and is on a really nice ship, I would take an inside cabin to be able to afford to go.

My wife and I have cruised 3 times. 1 RCl. 1 Princess and one NCL.

We have had 2 insides and 1 Ocean view.

I do not mind the inside and I think it saves money for doing other stuff or on board expenses.

My next cruise is a balcony, the main reason we booked it was we thought our 2 young ones would have trouble with no natural light and knowing the time of day.

I do not know if it will change my opinion so we will see.

As for suites I just do not think its going to happen unless I get a huge upgrade or find it for the same price as a balcony.

We have been cruising since 1976 and take 1-4 vacations a year.

We can afford any cabin we want and over the years have booked or had a mega upgrade to ocean view, balcony and suites. Our preference is an inside. They are usually in a quiet location and are usually in our preferred ship location, lower deck and amidships.

So as someone who could afford the penthouse but prefers an inside cabin, I can say that that are people who just prefer an inside.

I am retired with a reasonable income and could afford, like others anything.

However, I also value/ value for the dollar. Spending for a castle in a average neighborhood is folly to me. Whereas, getting a bargain room in the most expensive and luxurious place around seems like a better deal in terms of value.

Now how to decide as to which cabin it totally depends of the ship, the region and focus.

Alaska and the Fjords ....clearly the inside is an advantage as it forced you out of the cabin to experience grandeur one can only experience on deck... with 360 degrees not 90 from a balcony. Given that 95% of the time your ship will cruise so far off shore that there is no view. Getting a balcony for a trans-Atlantic of 7-8 days of sea view is a waste .

Also time of year...In the So Pacific are you going to use that balcony with the daily rain torrents and high humidity.... Or cruises that are port-port-port-port and few sea days.

Lets not forget the cabin is really a place to sleep, shower and shave...any more is frosting....that probably most passengers will spend very little time in then except for doing the aforementioned

On mass market ships, NCL Holland, Princess, Celebrity I only book insides because none of the perks of suites balconies are able to be realized once outside the cabin you are in a nice but average ship and the guy in the cheapest cabin has pretty much the exact same benefit's as the person in the owners suite... Thus on these lines I only book the cheapest I can get.

Yes there are some little perks but none offset the value the cheapest cabin has to dollars spent. Recently I was up graded from an inside to a balcony cabin that was 25% smaller ( Holland) and had to fight to get my original back.

As a general rule, every cabin class you go up from the bottom, the less value you derive and the more the ship profit$. Going up benefits the ship more than you in reality and they know it and try to sell you all sorts of ideas.

It is a real fact that it is far better to change ship lines than cabins. As an example a basic cabin on a luxury ship will end up delivering far more perks and value than a suite on a mass market ship.......

Smooth sailing, and remember don't work harder...work smarter for your dollars value.... spending like a sailor is not wise

I am getting ready for my 20th cruise this December. I have cruised once in a Suite (nice, but overrated) & a couple were Balcony's, but the rest have been Ocean Views...I have have been in an inside, but I am not opposed. I prefer the lowest floor, center ship...not because its less expensive but because its less movement! My preference is a Balcony, but like others, my pocketbook doesn't always allow it! After 19 cruises, I DO hang out in my room more and I love to watch the ocean. I was raised poor also and going on a cruise is the best bang for my buck...once the cruise is paid for (and gratuities), any additional spending is choice. I have gone on a 4 day cruise for under $200 and not spend a dime more....I 💗 cruising!!

We normally cruise 3 to a cabin. Our first cruise was an aft minisuite on Caribbean Princess. Very nice, but we spent little time on the balcony as we preferred to be out and about on the ship. It was nice to have the tub though, although we only used the shower part of it.

Second cruise we tried an OV, midship on Emerald. It was just as nice to us, but you truly cannot see outside after dark through the window. We really didnt mind the size difference from the mini.

Last cruise we had an inside on Dolphin deck on the Ruby. I actually liked it very much. It was cozy, but I didnt find it to be as dark as some say it is. I probably would never pay for a mini again, to me it would be a waste of money. We dont hang out in our cabin, and just use it for getting ready to go to dinner, or sleeping. I would much rather be outside in the sea air. However, we found it to be fine size wise for the three of us.

Our first cruise on Princess was a Caribe midship balcony. Larger balcony and good location on ship for motion. We really enjoyed it. Next cruise we were upgraded to a mini-suite. I loved the couch and extra sitting room. My Wife loved the larger batheroom and bathtub. We then moved around ship but always a balcony. Tried aft balcony but was not as thrilled by it as I thought I would be, long way from everything. Last couple of cruises booked balcony on Lido deck. Loved that location, close to all the things I like, fitness center, spa pool, steam room, MUTS, food, etc. I've always felt, got to have balcony, but my brother raved about OV cabins forward on Lido and I got to look at one last cruise. Upcoming cruise we booked L104 OV onbstructed on Lido and can't wait to try it. Floor plan seems more spacious as closets are against wall and bathroom opens into main cabin area. The obstruction is not much, you are looking out at the observation area above the ships bridge.If the observation area is open, it's the most amazing view on the ship. Otherwise, you can just walk back on Lido deck to the open deck areas. It will be a new experience and much cheaper than balcony. ;)

For those who say an inside is fine because they spend no time in the cabin, I say that the better the cabin the more time you spend in it. When you can order room service off the MDR menu, you have more room service. When you have a larger cabin with a larger sitting area, you spend more time there. And when you have a nice big balcony you spend more time out there.

For myself, I must respectfully disagree. I dont cruise to sit in a cabin, be it an inside, or one of the most spacious suites available. We spent no more time in our minisuite than in our inside cabin, and I would rather spend my day on the Lido deck, than on a private balcony.

We do have room service in our inside, usually a sandwich before bed, and morning coffee with a roll.

I love to cruise and have been lucky to be able to book only balcony cabins. We wait until the price is reduced to a point where we can afford it. I love the peace and solitude that comes from sitting on the balcony and just watching the ocean drift by. I guess I feel that if I'm going to spend whatever money I do spend to cruise, I want to be able to look out a window or sit on the balcony. I'm not sure how I would do inside cabin, and we really would not be interested in a suite. We tend to book on the 14th or 15th deck and usually on the port side towards the front of the ship. Our next cruise is in early January out of the Port of Houston to the Western Caribbean.

We have been on NCL, Royal, Disney, and Carnival with cabins ranging from inside on deck 2 to a two bedroom suite and almost everything in between. I love the luxury of having a balcony or being able to look out the window but there is nothing compares to the sleep I can get in a pitch black inside cabin. For us it really depends on what we can afford, what fits our large family of 6, how many cabins we have to get for all of us and what is left when I book the cruise. I'm happy with whatever I can get as long as it has a bed and floats. I get to add a new category since I booked a PR on Liberty of the Seas for Feb :).

Guest USC Traveler

first of all, i don't consider myself "rich". but i save for what i desire. my first cruise was in a mini-suite because i booked a month from the sailing date and i guess they were filling up very fast.

however, since that first cruise, i have always booked a mini-suite and i love them, no matter the cruise line. it's just my style. and i cruise solo, so i'm really paying for two people! that's ok with me.

now, i'm jumping ship to try a celebrity cruise in 2016. i've booked myself into their aqua class mini-suite cabin and i'm really looking forward to it.

I am a cruiser who will book anywhere on the ship and any type of cabin of the alternative is staying home. I've done port hole, regular window and balcony. I had never done an inside because of the whole I need to see life thing but I just booked my first inside on a ship with a virtual window. As for the suite I doubt I could ever afford one but I wouldn't turn one down for the right price.

We always book a balcony, but our last cruise was 31 days, and we felt we needed the extra room of a mini suite. It was well worth it.

The mini suite has a sitting area and a bathtub, plus more clothes storage.

There were many sea days, and it was great sitting on our balcony with our readers, and playing music (softly) on our mini speakers.

We cruised OV our first time. Neither of us wanted to be in an interior. I like natural light and to see what's outside. Our other cruises have been balconies. We were offered a suite on our last cruise when the rates went down, but we kept our extended balcony room. I think the only time I'd consider a suite would be if we were traveling with a lot of family or a big group of friends and wanted to entertain in our suite. But we are definitely not ones who are hardly ever in the cabin. I like to rest a bit in the afternoon. We like to have privacy on our own balcony. We do get out and enjoy the Lido deck and we love the Serenity deck, but we also like to have some time away from crowds.