Take a purse on cruise

Daydaes

I always take a standard backpack for the flight, and often on excursions. Then I found a "SafePac" fanny pack that I use for excursions. It is pretty theft proof. Each pocket zipper hooks closed, the strap has metal wires in so it can't be cut , and the fabric is cut-proof as well. They now make them with a shield to prevent electronic theft of credit card information. I just bought one as a gift for my sister, and she uses it for craft fairs, etc., where there will be crowds of people. Hers is cross-body, though, and I think I'm going to buy one for myself as we'll. They're from REI.

I use my usual purse that holds everything I need when going to the ship. I then put that away for the duration of the cruise.

While on board during the day I only need my cabin key, so I tuck that away where I can reach it easily. ;)

If I'm going ashore yes, I carry a fanny pack. Usually it will hold everything I will need, and it frees up a much-needed hand. If I am going to need more than that, I use one of the old sturdy HAL totes. It's harder to carry, but it's the best I can come up with.

In the evening I always carry a purse, but that's more to complete the outfit than out of a real need. It holds only my cabin key, drink card, and a lipstick I always forget to refresh. :rolleyes:

I really like the Coach wristlets. They are just the right size for me and come in various colors/patterns/solids/materials. :)

The first ones I bought came from the Coach store in San Juan. :)

Well with the exception of my first one coming from San Juan. LOL

Every color, a bunch of different sizes- most come with a "hook" on their "handles" that can be strung through my belt loop and hangs from my pants/shorts leaving my hands free.

Love these for travel.

Ah purses are like shoes you can never have too many ......

I don't bother to bring my everyday bag but I have a plastic waterproof swim case that hangs around my neck I use to carry my room key and a few dollars for a round the ship. A pool bag that holds my sunscreen, magazines and the like for the pool, HMC and any beach excursions. For port use I have a small cross body bag and for evening I carry a small bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My bag of choice is made by Bagallini. It has two front pockets. One is perfect for my phone and the other for my camera. Both are essential for port days. It has a removable small wallet that is perfect to carry on board if needed. It is a cross body type bag that I find to be the perfect size. It's not large. I would classify it on the small side. When I'm on board I tend to use a lanyard and have the front desk hole punch my room card to go on it. [ATTACH]329138[/ATTACH]

LOVE Baggallini! I have three of them...two are similar to yours. It's one of those things...you can never have enough!

My first cruise I lugged around my usual purse. Second cruise I realized how silly it was. I used it to and from the ship, but while on board I put the valuables like credit cards in the safe and just put my room card in a pocket. It felt like such freedom!

It is freedom. I forget how heavy my normal purse is until I start using it again.

I use my usual purse that holds everything I need when going to the ship. I then put that away for the duration of the cruise.

While on board during the day I only need my cabin key, so I tuck that away where I can reach it easily. ;)

If I'm going ashore yes, I carry a fanny pack. Usually it will hold everything I will need, and it frees up a much-needed hand. If I am going to need more than that, I use one of the old sturdy HAL totes. It's harder to carry, but it's the best I can come up with.

In the evening I always carry a purse, but that's more to complete the outfit than out of a real need. It holds only my cabin key, drink card, and a lipstick I always forget to refresh. :rolleyes:

Always the voice of wisdoms and knowledge. Ruth C some day I hope to meet you. I follow you and find your advice to be priceless. I am a great fan of yours

In the past I have used, pockets, langlers, amd fanny packs, and totes or back packs on beach days and excursions. Last trip I did pack an evening bag.

This trip I am trying new a travel vest with multiple pockets and I plan to utilize

My husband as a pack mule if the vest does not work out, he has lots of pockets.

I am leaving the purses and evening bags at home, on the ship all you need is your room key, you can hang that around your neck On a langalar

At pool side you can use a tote for lotions and potions and reading material.

Don't need a purse.

What ever you deside I hope you have fun and that Ruth C is on your ship cause she is fun to be around:p

I carry a small crossbody bag on board. It holds my camera (never leave my cabin without it), an iPad mini/e-reader, tissues and a pen besides my key card. It is very lightweight and hands-free - perfect for me.

I was surprised by the number of women carrying large (and seemingly heavy) handbags everyday on my last cruise.

I never use a purse on board ship - once I settle in, my regular purse goes into a closet. My key card is all I need and that is on a lanyard. In the evenings I use small evening purse - just enough room for my key card and lippy. During the day, if I am going to be out and about the ship for a few hours, I use my HAL tote for my book and my netbook.

I have a backpack on planes and to take ashore. On the ship, I use either a wristlet bag or a small cosmetic-sized pouch to carry stuff to stuff I need during the day -- room key, chapstick, iPod, camera, etc. And I have been known to use my room key as a bookmark when I don't have pockets.

I just bought this yesterday, called "Hip Sister". It is a stretchy band that fits snugly around the hips and has 2 zippered pockets and an open pouch for a small phone. It can be worn under a long top, possibly under pants. It comes in multiple colors and some even have bling so it could be used as a belt, although then it isn't concealed. Mine was only $29 Cdn. Haven't tried it yet, but it has great reviews, including Oprah's friend Gail.

If I don't "have" to carry a purse I sure won't. So I use a purse for the plane as I have all the documents for the 4 of us. Once onboard most of my stuff goes into the safe.

I use a lanyard that I made myself during the day to carry my room card and drink cards and a raw silk one in evenings or I carry a wristlet that I made myself for my cabin card if it is formal night.

I don't wear make-up during the day on vacation so no worries there. I have to wear my glasses all the time so no worry there either. After dinner I never bother to reapply lipstick. Just lazy I guess.

I make my own totes too....what a geek! But I do own PacSafe purse and fanny pack (and camera strap) and wouldn't travel without them. On excursions I use the fanny pack and that keeps my hands free to steady myself as I get dizzy quite often. I will be bringing a cane on the next cruise so I will see how that goes.

Never use a purse of any sort while on the ship as all pants have a pocket for my tiny case for the key card, drink card and a Kleenex as can always run back to the cabin if I need anything else and have no problem carrying my Kindle, use a carry bag like the HAL bag for pool lounging and a small cross body (from ebags) when off the ship. For dinner have found the silk drawstring bags they sell in the ship's stores for $1 are perfect for the key card, a comb, lipstick and a Kleenex. They come in a myriad of colors and designs so can mix and match with the dinner outfits - and take almost no room in the luggage.

Edited by take us away

Oh, I can be SO old school. I love my fanny pack and take it on every cruise. I never use it any other time, but it's definitely one of my cruise essentials. It looks like a small canvass purse, and the waist strap is easily converted into a shoulder strap, so it can serve me 3 ways. Fanny pack - Shoulder Bag - Cross Body Bag. For me, it's the perfect, functional, way to carry my necessities.

I like to have a light tote. For years its been the canvas HAL bookbag, but I got a lighter nylon tote from Princess this last trip.

I like to drag mini binoculars, kindle, kleenex, lipstick & sunglasses with me. Coffee card too. Room key is on a lanyard but I stuff it in the tote. Dh often puts his camera & his kindle in there too.

We get wonderful photos by being ready and we see a lot of whales & other sea life from the promenade or the lido. We like to read out on the promenade deck. The book tote adds a lot of pleasure to our cruising but I leave it behind for our dinners in the mdr.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I made a soft 2 compartment fabric bag with a small pocket for my key card. It has a narrow cord and fits across my body. On the front I stitched in a Mola of a fish I bought in Portobello, Panama years ago. It is big enough that my ipad mini fits in. I love it and it is my official "cruise purse" and I have had compliments about it on every cruise. One man even suggested I make them and sell them on ebay!

Karen

I carry my purse when traveling to/from the ship. Once onboard, I put it in the closet until I leave. All my daily (casual) clothes have pockets (for carrying room card, chapstick, Kleenex, etc (don't need cash onboard), and my little point & shoot camera is always on my wrist for those unexpected shots.

I do much the same. Once aboard, having put my wallet, passport, cell phone and any other valuables in the safe, I use my lightweight (now pretty much empty) purse as a daybag on excursions.

One of my greatest joys of cruising is NOT having to carry a purse :D:D