Has anyone had a family member that did not like cruising?

My mom is going on her first cruise in December. I have given her such rave reviews about cruising that I hope it lives up to all I've made it out to be. I was talking to some of my husband's family members yesterday about cruising and to my surprise, several of them did not like cruising :confused:, which is crazy talk to me ;). We are going on the Carnival Fascination, which I have been on several times. She will have a balcony room also so I really hope she enjoys it like I do!

Edited by AidenandCasensMommy

Yes we do know some of those people but they usually arent FUN people!! When we planned our first cruise my husbands sister put down ALL the plans. It was a trip given to us so i was excited and what was there to lose! Especially since i was coming out of chemo and breast cancer at the time. Anyway she booked one before our date and still complained. Of course she didnt even explore the ship. We went and had a blast with our friends and have done 4 more since that time ten years ago. Some people cant find fun cause they arent fun. I dont understand it but just seeing the water is exciting to us. The first time is so special and im sure your mom will love it! There is so much to do or not do. Spending time together and making memories and of course the ports and food! Have fun and dont worry!

We went on a cruise earlier this year with three other first time couples. One of the ladies really did not like cruising. She was used to the AIs and found it to crowded. Oh well, the other two couples loved it and we will be going with them next year on another cruise.

A couple of years ago my husband and I brought both of our respective parents. Everyone was very excited about going as it was a first cruise for all of them. They all had a great time except my mom. She didn't like the music up on the lido deck, or the wind, or the crowds at times. Other than joining us for dinner and a couple of the shows, she spent the rest of her time reading in her cabin. Witnessing the living conditions of some of the people in the various ports we visited also made her depressed. So now, unfortunately, she and my dad don't cruise with us, but my husbands parents do.

I know someone who doesn't like it. They are vegetarian, non drinkers, not "party people". Very nice people, a bit eccentric, but it's just not for them.

She isn't a drinker & she doesn't gamble but I think she will enjoy her balcony. That's our favorite part, just sitting out there & relaxing. Getting food whenever we want it, seeing shows & exploring the ports is what we like to do also. I see so many different people on cruises, young & old. There is something for everyone IMO.

A couple of years ago my husband and I brought both of our respective parents. Everyone was very excited about going as it was a first cruise for all of them. They all had a great time except my mom. She didn't like the music up on the lido deck, or the wind, or the crowds at times. Other than joining us for dinner and a couple of the shows, she spent the rest of her time reading in her cabin. Witnessing the living conditions of some of the people in the various ports we visited also made her depressed. So now, unfortunately, she and my dad don't cruise with us, but my husbands parents do.

I could see those being an issue with my mom if she goes to the lido pool area. We had friends say they didn't like cruising because there wasn't enough to do. That's what I love. I can actually unplug & relax. It's hard to do in everyday life but a cruise= peace for me.

She isn't a drinker & she doesn't gamble but I think she will enjoy her balcony. That's our favorite part, just sitting out there & relaxing. Getting food whenever we want it, seeing shows & exploring the ports is what we like to do also. I see so many different people on cruises, young & old. There is something for everyone IMO.

I don't drink and rarely gamble (I also can't dance) and I still love cruising if that helps, lol.

My SO was totally not interested in cruising when we went on our last cruise. It took A LOT of convincing. He had a good time and he was willing to accept that we are going on another cruise in November 2015 now. I think I might slowly be molding him into a cruise fanatic...at least I hope so! I hope to take over 100+ cruises eventually :D

My brother in law. We "dragged" him to Alaska for his first cruise and although he loved the destination, he didn't care much for the cruise. He had a balcony stateroom, and he participated in everything that we suggested, so he genuinely gave it a shot. But he just isn't a cruise person. He didnt care for the crowds or the lines, the entertainment, or the dining options outside of the sit down restaurants. When he travels with his family, they normally shy away from big resorts, crowds, or overly commercialized destinations. They look for quaint and off the beaten path restaurants and hotels. He does love the ocean, but his idea of being at sea is renting a sailboat with friends for a week, not being sardined with 2-3,000 strangers and standing in line at a buffet (his words).

Edited by Tapi

I used to be one of those people! My husband and I didn't really enjoy our first two cruises all that much. We just got bored on the sea days and felt like there wasn't enough to do. We are the type that would go to Disneyworld for a week and be at the parks from open to close, or go to Europe or a big city and spend lots of time at museums, theater, cultural stuff, etc. Or we'd go on outdoorsy vacations and do zip lining, hiking, etc. So we were used to "go, go, go" on vacation, and even after we'd done everything the ship had to offer, we kind of were bored. We did both 7 day Caribbean cruises, and we felt like there were too many sea days and not enough time to explore the cool stuff in the ports.

HOWEVER: we have totally changed our minds! My MIL convinced us to take a Mexican Riviera cruise when our DD was 3, and it was heavenly! We found that we WANTED to sit down and relax by the pool for a couple of hours, with no one climbing on us or needing a snack. We would have been bored out of our minds doing that before kids, but we loved having Camp Carnival and just having some down time to hang out for a couple hours a day. We also spent lots of time together as a family, and found that the cruise matches the slower pace of small kids really well! We also found that we liked West Coast Mexico much better than the Caribbean or the Mexican ports on the East Coast. We liked it so much, we scheduled it again for next year the week after our youngest DD turns 2! We want her to be able to experience CC with her sister, and I think the whole family is going to love it!

Anyway, long winded way of saying that I think it depends on what kind of vacation you are used to and what you enjoy. My parents are coming with us next year, and it will be their first cruise (other than a Nile river cruise they did last year). They are also very active, intense vacationers, so I'm hoping they'll enjoy it. Luckily they still live in the States and we don't get to see them very much, so I think the cruise will be a great chance to just spend time together!

My sister-in-law has been on one cruise, and it was on Carnival. She said she absolutely hated it and could never go on another cruise.

That was about 10 years ago and the other day my brother mentioned that they saw a commercial for the river cruise and she said I think I would like to do that! Maybe she didn't like being out in the deep ocean not seeing any land, and it looks like the River cruises are not that way.

Everybody else in my family loves cruises.

I am not a big fan of cruising, my husband is.

I find a cruise limits what I can do at a destination with such a short amount of time in port. Cruises limit the places in this world I can go, as there are so many destinations that aren't accessible from a cruise ship. I don't choose to make time to visit the same place over and over and over. New and exciting places interest me much more.

I would do a land trip that allows me to truly see the culture, perhaps climb a mountain, hike through the forest, ski down a glacier, raft down a river -- without the crowds -- over a cruise in a heartbeat.

My husband likes to cruise, so we make sure we cruise at times and at other times we go for the adventure. I have fun when I am on a cruise but it isn't my first choice.

The best part of both is spending time together and sharing what we each enjoy.

I think the more you "talk it up", the less the new cruiser will enjoy the experience...it's more fun to find out for yourself how much fun cruising (or any other activity) can be.

I enjoy cruising...my husband can take it or leave it....so yes....there are plenty of folks who DON'T enjoy the cruise experience!

So, stop telling your mom everything...and let her discover it on her own!!!

My husband and I went on our first cruise together almost twelve years ago. The trip was his idea and he was a good sport but from the time we got to the port he was uncomfortable with the crowds and the heat, he is not a people watchers and didn't much enjoy the lido deck since it's too loud for him.

I was instantly hooked! Totally addicted from the moment I seen that huge ship. I love the crowds and the heat, the lido and the music!

So now he goes on fishing trips with the guys and I go on cruises with the girls. It works out for us!

I have four brothers, and we try to do a "family reunion" cruise, once a year or so. Everyone has a FANTASTIC time, except for one of the brothers, who absolutely refuses, to even TRY to cruise. He's sure that he'll be bored, with nothing to do. (Odd thing is, that his favorite things to do, are things he'd find aboard cruises. ie; karaoke, drinking and having a good time in general.) It's a mystery to the rest of us, but I guess it's his loss, not ours.

"SKY"

My TWIN sister and her husband. They hate it. How can someone who is my twin hate cruising?? I don't get it?? Isn't she supposed to be like me?

But their biggest complaint was that they liked Grand Cayman and they wanted to stay. They also like beaches more than pools and wanted to be at the beach. Well no beach on a ship. They also spend time before dinner getting drinks and enjoy sitting at the bar and I think they spent a lot more on drinks then they really wanted to and I really don't think they found a whole lot to do that they enjoyed entertainment wise.

Strange right??

My brother-in-law went on only one cruise and did not like the idea of no land in sight.....made him nervous. He had a nice balcony cabin but still was not thrilled with the idea of being out on the water. First and last cruise for him.

My hairdresser went on only one cruise and was on the lowest passenger deck and felt as if she would be trapped there if the ship sank. First and last cruise for her too.

Edited by Marie51

My cousin says there's nothing for Christians to do on a cruise. And all this time I thought I was a Christian having a blast on cruises. Who knew? Lol

LOL! I am with you, jcsuzeta! Who knew? While it's true we don't gamble or stay up late enough to party (Just once can't they start a party at 9?) doesn't mean we don't enjoy ourselves each and every day.

My DH refused to go on a cruise for 30 years because he had been in the Merchant Marines. I argued that ore carriers and cruise ships had little in common. He went because everyone else in the family was going and now it is his favorite kind of travel.

I have family members who travel extensively and have no interest in taking a cruise. The number one reason is rough seas and sea sickness. There are others though. Many cruise ships are quit crowded with cabins being very close to another. Cabins are really small compared to land based hotels. I know that it is a ship and not a hotel, but even some of the largest suites on some ships are still small. Many ships have an overall Vegas feel which can feel quite cheesy at times. Line ups are turn offs for some. Little time in ports means you actually don't get to see much and more and more the ship is becoming the destination. Food can range from dead awful to really good, but it's going to take you some time to find exactly what you want. And lets not forget the snob factor - many do not consider it travel at all unless it is land based.

BTW: We love to cruise, I just understand why so many others do not.

I would love for my son to take a cruise with us, but he has severe social anxiety and just can't bring himself to try it. :(

We have cruised with my granddaughter who has social anxiety due to autism. The special needs dept helped us a great deal to alleviate many of the problems.