Chaos of the Seas--Wesbound TA

Diamond concierge could book shows and had a list withem all on including the headliner names.

sometimes the iTV system worked we got bookings for the extra cats afternoon show that way and people changed their times .

one issue was that the list sheet and iTV had one show at the wrong time later in the cruise and no one noticed till the daily was printed with a different time.

I have to think that so many days at sea with the people in your face all the time has to take a toll on the crew. In the Caribbean, people get off the ship frequently and things seem to slow down a bit during particular times of the day. Everyone gets a break..passengers, crew etc.

I know its their job and you spent good $ on a vacation, but human nature can only take so much no matter what service business you might be in.

Not an excuse, but just a thought.

I'd say not an accurate thought in my opinion. So many other RCI ships do transatlantic's with many sea days and give a much better service and product than on this Oasis westbound.

I think it's lax staff on the Oasis, many of who don't know what hard word is.

With regards to this boarding process being dangerous, three people fainted while waiting to board. That could be very dangerous!

As far as people using this board to complain, don't you think people have a right and duty to warn people of a fiasco. Yes there were thousands on the ship, but only a small percentage are on Cruise critic. Of those on Cruise Critic, most people are telling the truth about RCI's failure. Many of the people are very loyal to RCI. Some will be honest about this experience, but some find no wrong with RCI no matter what. Saying that someone is stupid going to WJ at a crowded time is uncalled for. Many times you have either a tour, or a lecture to attend and MUST eat at a certain time. The lectures were mostly at 10:30am, just after breakfast. We had no problem finding seats at the WJ , or in Silk.

RCI needs to take responsibility for their short comings.

Well said !!

I'd say not an accurate thought in my opinion. So many other RCI ships do transatlantic's with many sea days and give a much better service and product than on this Oasis westbound.

To say that MANY staff on the Oasis don't know what hard work is has to be one of the ridiculous comments I've read.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The statement, "many of whom don't know what hard word is" (I realize you meant 'work') is quite astonishing to me. From what I have heard from many (people who have been part of a crew on board and then became land based employees), most people who have similar land based jobs would fail miserably at the workload of a crew/staff member on board a ship. I would not be so quick to accuse the staff of 'not knowing what hard work is'.

I have to believe there were some extra and maybe unexpected challenges that were thrown at the crew and staff on this TA. Some perhaps should/could have been anticipated and others perhaps not.

From friends who have cruised TA's and in Europe, there seems to be a different expectation of services from Caribbean cruises and perhaps were some personnel challenges as well....but to make an accusation that the crew doesn't know what hard work is, seems unfair.

With regards to this boarding process being dangerous, three people fainted while waiting to board. That could be very dangerous!

As far as people using this board to complain, don't you think people have a right and duty to warn people of a fiasco. Yes there were thousands on the ship, but only a small percentage are on Cruise critic. Of those on Cruise Critic, most people are telling the truth about RCI's failure. Many of the people are very loyal to RCI. Some will be honest about this experience, but some find no wrong with RCI no matter what. Saying that someone is stupid going to WJ at a crowded time is uncalled for. Many times you have either a tour, or a lecture to attend and MUST eat at a certain time. The lectures were mostly at 10:30am, just after breakfast. We had no problem finding seats at the WJ , or in Silk.

RCI needs to take responsibility for their short comings.

Your experience is your experience but you have to realize others have reported they witnessed no such problems. My take away is that the crew was not as experienced as others in Atlantic crossings and the weather added another detractor. I agree some will report that RCI farts potpourri but on the flip side, the sky is always falling for others. There's no sense in beating your head against the wall trying to convince others that have already made up their minds.

I was on the cruise as well and I think most responses miss the important part.

Of course it would have been a better cruise experience when the weather had been more sunny and warmer. Sure it would have helped if the people did spread out more to the different events. And yes some of those facts the demographic and the weather could have been well known to those of us who booked that transatlantic.

But that is where I expect more from senior management on board and the CD staff. Where was their plan for a likely not so great weather cruise? Where were their ideas how to compensate the high dense usage of the theatre with the rehearsals?

My complaint is not that many people tried to do the same things I tried to do and I could not find a spot to even stand. My complaint is that the staff did nothing about it but let it continue for days.

Same with dinner in the windjammer the last day of the cruise. They only opened half of the buffet and roped the seating off at the aft. Now I was sitting near the end of the area and every few seconds people with plates of food arrived at the roped off area saw the many unused but unavailable tables and went back with annoyed faces. The waitstaff was around offering drinks and saw it but for the 10 or 15 minutes I was eating there no one of the staff member did anything. No supervisor or staff member went there to explain to the guest what the reason for that is. I have no idea if there was a good reason for that but if there are they have to communicate it. I have no idea why the staff member and the supervisors running around might have thought it could be a good idea to just let the people continue to walk towards the rope and then turn around with no one there.

Such things happened so often at that cruise. If they felt that the vibe was not as good as it should be. That more than just the one or two people are unhappy, when they read on here and probably elsewhere as well during that cruise that there are valid complaints the senior management and staff need to get more visible, communicate more and the staff has to work much harder to turn it around. Not just let continue with it and pretend nothing had happened.

That is what the real issue had been, not the weather or the indoor/outdoor spaces.

Don't you just love the responses from those people who weren't there, but are just so sure that we are just a bunch of complainers and it just wasn't RCCL's fault, but our own? :rolleyes: There were so many problems, but the worst by far was the uncaring attitude of senior management/officers. And it certainly wasn't just the weather! Actually, we didn't find the weather to be a big problem at all. In fact, DH and his brother spent time several days playing mini-golf, which left me with some quality time to spend on our balcony with a good book. :)

Edited by CruiseMore1
To correct spelling

The Westbound TA was our first and most likely last RCCL cruise.

I understand that this was not a "normal" cruise for the Oasis OTS and that could partially explain the IT problems with booking shows before boarding and the utter chaos during embarkation. I might also partially explain the non-working interactive stateroom televisions, the intermittent water shutdowns, and the construction while underway. And yes, the cooler weather drove many passengers inside making it feel a bit crowded.

However, just because this was not a "normal" cruise for the Oasis of the Seas, is NOT an excuse for extremely poor customer service. It seemed the officers/supervisors were hiding throughout the cruise. Even after specifically asking for a supervisor to contact us regarding an issue, we did not get any results. It is also not an excuse for extremely poor communication between the ships staff and the passengers.

While we did enjoy the ship and experienced some excellent customer service from our waiters and cabin stewart, we did not get WOWed.

I'm sure you were not the only first-time RCCL cruisers who feel this way. Fortunately, we have quite a few past RCCL cruises, including a few TA's, so we know this was NOT the usual RCCL experience. Still, this experience created a lot of disappointment for a lot of loyal past cruisers as well. We'll be back, but with the expectation that next one should be a LOT better!

In case you missed it, we were on the Westbound TA, Oasis of the Seas. Thought I made that clear in my post. With the cool/grey weather we had, not surprised in the slightest the indoor venues were more crowded than usual. However, everyday we found very comfortable places to play cards with four people and meet new folks, from On Air to Schooners, Starbucks, Champagne bar, etc. The shows we went to had seating....dining room was excellent (traditional late dining) Made no advance Reservations, and had zero problems getting.g days and times we wanted foe 150, Chops, Solarium.... Perhaps you were on another shop, or had unrealistic expectations. Given that the Hip was not remotely sailing full, and the newly added cabins were not occupied, I doubt t you can blame what in the future will be maybe an extra 100 people as any type of problem. The o ly real public space removed was Viking Crown, which may have made a difference on this sailing Givenchy crappy weather and northern route, but on a typical 7 day Caribbean sailing ( and we have done four at all times of the year), I have never seen more than people in there. The Diamond lounge is larger, concierge lounge better located and know there's a suite lounge also...so morebplaces for the higher levels and suite passengers without affecting "normal" passenger flow.

Each person's experience is there own.....and we had a great time on the crossing and we're very happy we decided to do it. Loads of fun for us. And great service across the board. Go figure.

The Concierge Lounge was CLOSED on this WB TA!

Your experience is your experience but you have to realize others have reported they witnessed no such problems. My take away is that the crew was not as experienced as others in Atlantic crossings and the weather added another detractor. I agree some will report that RCI farts potpourri but on the flip side, the sky is always falling for others. There's no sense in beating your head against the wall trying to convince others that have already made up their minds.

I am stating my facts and experience ONLY and would NEVER attempt to convince anyone to change their minds. That is stupid. because everyone has a right to their opinion. Instead of accusing someone unjustly, if your don't like the truth that is being said, maybe you should just go to another thread.

Edited by chloe kitty

I am stating my facts and experience ONLY and would NEVER attempt to convince anyone to change their minds. That is stupid. because everyone has a right to their opinion. Instead of accusing someone unjustly, if your don't like the truth that is being said, maybe you should just go to another thread.

Sorry but I wasn't accusing you of anything.

We treated our family to a cruise on the Oasis out of Florida. We had 4 D8 balconies. Since we've cruised with RCI so many times, we usually have a nice table in the Main Dining room. This time we were crammed in like cattle. The men are all over 6' tall - we had to walk sideways saying "excuse us, excuse us" to get to our table. The first night waiters didn't bother to introduce themselves and then by the 2nd night we had a different pair that weren't friendly either. We ended up buying the specialty dining package. However, the shows are fabulous and well organized. Hair Spray was every bit as good as it was on Broadway.

We treated our family to a cruise on the Oasis out of Florida. We had 4 D8 balconies. Since we've cruised with RCI so many times, we usually have a nice table in the Main Dining room. This time we were crammed in like cattle. The men are all over 6' tall - we had to walk sideways saying "excuse us, excuse us" to get to our table. The first night waiters didn't bother to introduce themselves and then by the 2nd night we had a different pair that weren't friendly either. We ended up buying the specialty dining package. However, the shows are fabulous and well organized. Hair Spray was every bit as good as it was on Broadway.

RCI is somehow responsible for that?

You were not even onboard this cruise.

Looks like quantum is not ready either.

25% cruise credits and $300 obc for those pax.

Two messed up ships....

Should they have cancelled the cruise and delayed the crossing

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If you write to Mr Goldstein would you be expecting a reply, or just hope he reads your mail. Thanks Diane

I am expecting a reply - not from AG personally, of course - and have been promised a call from one his staff on his behalf. This was in a reply to my email from said staff member.

From the Quantum TA page:

Captain was at our M&M along with Lisa the EVP of Operations, Nick Weir the VP of Entertainment, and executives for food & bev and hotel management. And the beleaguered IT team was also there. I know lots of people are complaining about the technology not working, but as someone who works in IT, these folks have my complete empathy and I just want to give them a hug when I see them. They sure look like they could use it. I have no doubt they are working their behinds off to get all of this fixed.

Think anyone from the IT department would have had the courage to attend?

Did the Captain at any time meet with any of the Pinnacle, Diamond plus, or Diamonds and say anything to the effect of, "sorry, we are working on things"?

If you write to Mr Goldstein would you be expecting a reply, or just hope he reads your mail. Thanks Diane

I would just be happy to know that someone read all the letters and emails from loyal guests and were aware that on this occasion they dropped the ball and let us down, and that they went away and made sure it never happened again.

Too much to ask?? Probably!

Could I ask, has anyone who has e mailed RCCL about their experiences of the Westbound TA on Oasis, received a reply other than the auto "we have received your mail and will reply within 28 days" ?

Thank you

Martyn