Cancel cruise last minute

nikel

Due to a medical emergency we have to cancel our cruise last minute. I'm sure I read somewhere way back something about using that booking number to rebook so that you can keep your perks ?. I really have no time to research where to go right now so how do I go about it without losing everything. Thanks

If you have actually called or used the website and "cancelled" it you have already lost anything on the reservation, as the reservation number is no longer valid.

If you haven't done anything yet, then change to a different cruise, don't even care what cruise, just pick any future itinerary, and then change again later when you can actually find one you will use. I did this to get perks on a canceled cruise by celebrity, but I had no time to really finds one that suites me, so now I have a reservation "parked" in March on reflection till I can get organized and find one I will actually go on.

If you are after final payments, nothing can be done, it's over and your money is gone unless you have insurance to cover it. You could do name changes and sell to to a friend or someone....

If after final payments, if possible you could arrive at the pier, and fill out the medical questionnaire that you have been sick in the last few days, then they will let you keep the full value of your cruise to apply to a future cruise if you don't actually sail.

Edited by cle-guy

Hi NIKEL,

Sorry to hear about your troubles

As for the cruise...

You can certainly transfer a booking... If you are BEFORE Final Payment.

After Final Payment, your options are limited. Celebrity lists on their website / your Cruise Contract what your penalties will be. If you have Cruise Insuravpnce you will get your money back, but not the Booking Perks

Hope this helps, get better soon

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Due to a medical emergency we have to cancel our cruise last minute. I'm sure I read somewhere way back something about using that booking number to rebook so that you can keep your perks ?. I really have no time to research where to go right now so how do I go about it without losing everything. Thanks

Hi Nikel,

I agree with Sloop-JohnB. As we do not know your particulars, it's tough to offer detailed advice. Generally, Final payment is due 75 days prior to sailing. I believe it's 60 days for sailings under 7 days in length. Once you are inside those dates, your options are extremely limited, without avoiding large or full fare penalties. Do you have insurance ? If so, my first step would be to contact the insurance company. If not, by all means, call your Travel agent, (or Celebrity if you've booked direct) and see if you have any options.

Whatever you do, please dont waste your time travelling to the port, as another member suggested. IMO, that's an ill-advised idea. While there's a *chance* that you might obtain some sort of future cruise credit, it's not a given. It also appears that you may need to travel a great distance to the port... and it's not worth the time, effort, or risking further health issues for yourself, or for others.

If you can provide addtional details, it would be helpful. If not, I wish you or your loved one a very speedy recovery. Please let us know the outcome, and good luck with Celebrity.

Edited by Host Andy

We had to cancel our Baltic cruise last May for medical reasons with in a week of our departure date. Because it was booked with a local TA I contacted him and got "Gee I am sorry, I will cancel you out". I then contacted my trip insurance company and started the claims process. Since we had insurance I did not go to Celebrity about re-booking, I was pretty busy getting myself fixed in the hospital. I never heard from Celebrity, I guess they were happy to keep my money. I also had to deal with airline reservations so don't forget them if you are flying to your departure port. Since my local TA was so helpful during my little emergency I used one of the big online TAs once I got my insurance claim settled and booked for this coming May. Good luck with it all. Getting well should be the first thing on your list.

If after final payments, if possible you could arrive at the pier, and fill out the medical questionnaire that you have been sick in the last few days, then they will let you keep the full value of your cruise to apply to a future cruise if you don't actually sail.

That's wonderful.

You just suggested that anyone who changes their minds or can't go (for whatever reason) just lie about being sick.

No wonder prices are going up - people are learning how to defraud cruiselines now.

Edited by DinaS

Hi Nikel,

I agree with Sloop-JohnB. As we do not know your particulars, it's tough to offer detailed advice. Generally, Final payment is due 75 days prior to sailing. I believe it's 60 days for sailings under 7 days in length. Once you are inside those dates, your options are extremely limited, without avoiding large or full fare penalties. Do you have insurance ? If so, my first step would be to contact the insurance company. If not, by all means, call your Travel agent, (or Celebrity if you've booked direct) and see if you have any options.

Whatever you do, please dont waste your time travelling to the port, as another member suggested. IMO, that's an ill-advised idea. While there's a *chance* that you might obtain some sort of future cruise credit, it's not a given. It also appears that you may need to travel a great distance to the port... and it's not worth the time, effort, or risking further health issues for yourself, or for others.

If you can provide addtional details, it would be helpful. If not, I wish you or your loved one a very speedy recovery. Please let us know the outcome, and good luck with Celebrity.

Andy, I try and help as the op was on the November 9, 2014 - Eclipse 14-day Transatlantic. If you read her post that I quoted it should give most of the information you are looking for.

Thank you all for your good wishes, It is very touching.:)

It's funny how you plan and plan for 18 months and it disappears in a second.

I have canceled everything but Celebrity as I have to figure out in the next couple of days how to transfer my booking so I don't lose all the OBC perks we have. I know there is a way. Right now we are booked for the Silhouette TA next Oct, so can't use it for that. Anyone else on it?

My cabin # is 1247 , a C2 on the hump with the triple balcony, so anyone interested in a C2 can be waitlisted for it till I cancel, probably by Sunday.

That's wonderful.

You just suggested that anyone who changes their minds or can't go (for whatever reason) just lie about being sick.

No wonder prices are going up - people are learning how to defraud cruiselines now.

OP said they had medical issues, so my advice still stands if getting to the pier is an option for them. They came looking for options, and it seems they have few if any as they are way past final payments. So this is in fact one of those options. As is doing name changes. Otherwise they are out all their perks and cash for this cruise, under very unfortunate circumstances.

We know calls to X will be sort, use insurance, which I gather the OP does not have.

And from a factual standpoint, cruise fares overall are actually down from 2-3 years ago, but for the premium cabins.

Edited by cle-guy

OP said they had medical issues, so my advice still stands if getting to the pier is an option for them. They came looking for options, and it seems they have few if any as they are way past final payments. So this is in fact one of those options. As is doing name changes. Otherwise they are out all their perks and cash for this cruise, under very unfortunate circumstances.

We know calls to X will be sort, use insurance, which I gather the OP does not have.

And from a factual standpoint, cruise fares overall are actually down from 2-3 years ago, but for the premium cabins.

I am convinced that you have given dishonest and bad advice. Going to the pier to check in and lie on the health form with the hope that your dishonesty will give you a credit for another cruise is not likely to work anyway.

Obviously this is an approach that you would consider taking, but it is still very bad advice IMO and I suspect most other people's opinion. I am fairly confident that the OP will not even consider it.

Edited by jagoffee

Andy, I try and help as the op was on the November 9, 2014 - Eclipse 14-day Transatlantic. If you read her post that I quoted it should give most of the information you are looking for.

Thank you Flacruiser. What that tells us, is that the OP is definitely inside the final payment window. What I'd love to know, is if they have insurance - though from the OP's question, I suspect not. If they do, it becomes a matter of filing a claim, and they should see a significant recovery of funds or a future onboard credit, depending on the insurance carrier.

As mentioned earlier, if they do not have insurance, about the only other recourse is to plea their case to their TA, or Celebrity if they've booked direct, and hope for the best. IMO, what matters the most, is that they have a speedy recovery.

Wish I could offer more assistance, but I hope this helps the OP in some way.

Originally Posted by cle-guy View Post

Cle-guy, am I correct in understanding you are a small business owner????

So sorry to here you will not be going on this cruise, we are going on it (hopefully) Just wanted to say hope you get sorted and take care XXX

Denise

Sorry you wont be able to go on your cruise!

It looks like you are within a couple of weeks before your scheduled cruise, so your options are really limited... You will need to file a claim with your Trip Insurance to get a refund on any monies paid for Cruise & Air fare. Since you are past the Final Payment date, Celebrity is not going to allow you to move your cruise to a later date or give you a refund, so being made whole through your trip insurance is really your only option.

I know that everyone has posted advice with the best of intentions but the OP wanted advice on how they may keep their perks. I do not know if they trip insurance but I know from their Roll Call post that the perks are their particular concern. They have already cancelled the other elements of their trip.

Originally Posted by cle-guy View Post

Cle-guy, am I correct in understanding you are a small business owner????

Indeed I am, and I roll over backwards to take care of my customers when they need assistance. Like Nieman Marcus return anything you want for fill credit no questions asked with out regard for if it as purchased from us. Goes a long way to customer satisfaction.

I know that everyone has posted advice with the best of intentions but the OP wanted advice on how they may keep their perks. I do not know if they trip insurance but I know from their Roll Call post that the perks are their particular concern. They have already cancelled the other elements of their trip.

I don't think there is a way to just keep the Perks from this cruise and move them to another cruise not yet booked. The only way was to actually move this booked cruise to another one, but that is not possible so close to the sail date.

Edited by rbuenger

I had to cancel a cruise in January 2013 due to a medical emergency, 60 days before the cruise. My DS contacted my TA immediately. I did have insurance. I had to provide written proof to the cruise line, air line and insurance company along with forms signed by the emergency room doctor, neurosurgeon, neurologist etc. I did get a refund although it did take some time. I actually cancelled as I did not know if or when I would be able to cruise again.

My understanding (according to TA) was that if I had transferred the cancelled cruise to another cruise, I would have been able to retain the perks. However, with cancelling, I did not get the perks on my most recent cruise.

Also, as I had paid with a MasterCard, the insurance company also contacted MC to make sure that the monies were not covered by them.

As you live in Canada, in my opinion, it would not be feasible to go to the pier the day of the cruise (as one poster suggested).

Also, when cancelling for medical reasons - cruise lines, insurance companies etc. require many forms to be filled out and signed by doctors, so it would not be easy to try and 'scam' them and have doctors sign the forms when you were not actually cancelling for medical reasons.

I wish you a speedy recovery and that all goes well with your medical issues. I hope that you will be able to cruise in the future.

I was fortunate and just completed a cruise and have two more booked:)

I am convinced that you have given dishonest and bad advice. Going to the pier to check in and lie on the health form with the hope that your dishonesty will give you a credit for another cruise is not likely to work anyway.

Obviously this is an approach that you would consider taking, but it is still very bad advice IMO and I suspect most other people's opinion. I am fairly confident that the OP will not even consider it.

Could not agree more. Dishonesty is dishonesty no matter how you try and justify it. Every one has the option to purchases travel insurance to protect in case such as this. If one decides not to avail themselves of that protection then they stand the risk if loss.

If the OP did not purchase trip insurance then the best, and only, way for them to look at the situation is just to acknowledge the fact that on the date that the cruise would have been over the money would have been gone anyway. All you are really missing out is the way that you spent a week or a few of your life. Sure you have missed the cruise but in the bigger picture there is always another time and place to take a vacation. The money and perks are gone, but after the end of a cruise they are anyway. Just get over it and don't sweat the small things. There is much more to life than this.

If the OP did not purchase trip insurance then the best, and only, way for them to look at the situation is just to acknowledge the fact that on the date that the cruise would have been over the money would have been gone anyway. All you are really missing out is the way that you spent a week or a few of your life. Sure you have missed the cruise but in the bigger picture there is always another time and place to take a vacation. The money and perks are gone, but after the end of a cruise they are anyway. Just get over it and don't sweat the small things. There is much more to life than this.

That's a really good attitude to have.

(Not sure I could be that positive but it certainly is something to aim for!)

Thanks for all your comments

1. I do have private insurance, so I am waiting for them to send me the forms

2. Going to the port is totally ludicrous,..... I live in Montreal, port is Southampton. ( I would not even lie like that anyway)

3 I will try appealing to Celebrity and hopefully they will let me switch to something else in the future and then switch it as I know the new sailings for 2016 for CC come out November 18. I already have my 2015 booked

4. Everything but cruise & air have been already cancelled .

Thanks for all your comments

1. I do have private insurance, so I am waiting for them to send me the forms

2. Going to the port is totally ludicrous,..... I live in Montreal, port is Southampton. ( I would not even lie like that anyway)

3 I will try appealing to Celebrity and hopefully they will let me switch to something else in the future and then switch it as I know the new sailings for 2016 for CC come out November 18. I already have my 2015 booked

4. Everything but cruise & air have been already cancelled .

I'd say let the insurance reimburse and don't waste your valuable time except dealing with you. Good luck, Randy.

Well, you never know how these things will work out. A friend had to cancel his cruise due to a medical issue. He had made final payment for him and his wife and neither had insurance. But RCCL allowed him to move his cruise, a TA, to another TA six months later on the same ship. Really nice of them

Call the Captains Club, not reservations. They will be able to tell you if you can use the same reservation number. Again, have something in mind to switch the cruise to. Because it's past final payment, they may not let you keep any incentives. At least you will know and can start getting better, set your refund in motion thru the insurance company, and start planning another cruise. Get better! :)

If you have actually called or used the website and "cancelled" it you have already lost anything on the reservation, as the reservation number is no longer valid.

If you haven't done anything yet, then change to a different cruise, don't even care what cruise, just pick any future itinerary, and then change again later when you can actually find one you will use. I did this to get perks on a canceled cruise by celebrity, but I had no time to really finds one that suites me, so now I have a reservation "parked" in March on reflection till I can get organized and find one I will actually go on.

If you are after final payments, nothing can be done, it's over and your money is gone unless you have insurance to cover it. You could do name changes and sell to to a friend or someone....

You can only change one name of the two on the original booking, at least one name on the original booking must remain. I don`t recall ever hearing of a case where Celebrity allowed both names to be changed on a booking.

Edited by elena7seas