Summer 2016

From travel mole:

Thomson revealed yesterday that its new cruise ship, Royal Caribbean's former Splendour of the Seas, will be renamed Thomson Discovery.

The 915-cabin ship will be based in Palma, Majorca, for summer 2016.

Billed as a "family friendly" ship, it will boast an outdoor movie screen, rock climbing wall, nine hole mini golf course, three a la carte restaurants and eight bars and lounges.

It will offer four itineraries around the Mediterranean next summer and Saturday sailings with flights from 19 regional airports across UK and Ireland.

Thomson Spirit will home-port in Malaga for summer 2016, Thomson Celebration will remain in Dubrovnik and offer adults-only cruising for summer 2016.

Thomson Majesty will be based in Palma alongside Discovery, offering cruises around the Western Mediterranean. New for next summer are no sea days evening stays in Ibiza and Barcelona to allow guests to make the most of the nightlife offered in both destinations.

A new weekly flight from Liverpool to Palma will make it easier for those living in the northwest of England to join the ship.

Thomson Dream will be based in Corfu for summer 2016 from where it will offer four itineraries, including Syros for the first time. Customers on the Dream will also be able to combine a cruise with a trip to Istanbul for the first time.

For winter 2017, Thomson Cruises is inviting its Facebook fans to suggest an itinerary for one of its ships to be based in Barbados. Once the votes are in, the cruise, to start on January 15, 2017, will go on sale in November.

From travel mole:

Thomson revealed yesterday that its new cruise ship, Royal Caribbean's former Splendour of the Seas, will be renamed Thomson Discovery.

Billed as a "family friendly" ship, it will boast an outdoor movie screen, rock climbing wall, nine hole mini golf course, three a la carte restaurants and eight bars and lounges.

It will offer four itineraries around the Mediterranean next summer and Saturday sailings with flights from 19 regional airports across UK and Ireland.

Thomson Spirit will home-port in Malaga for summer 2016, Thomson Celebration will remain in Dubrovnik and offer adults-only cruising for summer 2016.

Thomson Majesty will be based in Palma alongside Discovery, offering cruises around the Western Mediterranean. New for next summer are no sea days evening stays in Ibiza and Barcelona to allow guests to make the most of the nightlife offered in both destinations.

A new weekly flight from Liverpool to Palma will make it easier for those living in the northwest of England to join the ship.

Thomson Dream will be based in Corfu for summer 2016 from where it will offer four itineraries, including Syros for the first time. Customers on the Dream will also be able to combine a cruise with a trip to Istanbul for the first time.

For winter 2017, Thomson Cruises is inviting its Facebook fans to suggest an itinerary for one of its ships to be based in Barbados. Once the votes are in, the cruise, to start on January 15, 2017, will go on sale in November.

Thanks for that sailaway. :)

Some interesting features: I especially like the no sea days, the over-nighters and how inspired to ask for customers to put together an itinerary! Will be interesting to see what the concensus proves to be.

(I'm surprised more cruise itineraries don't offer over night stops - such a good opportunity to explore a bit more without time constraints and experience the atmosphere at night/have a meal out etc. Obviously berthing fees will be more but perhaps off-set by fuel savings. We've had overnights in Istanbul, Havana and Barbados and they've been brilliant - loved it.)

Edited by kruzseeka

From Seatrade Insider;

Commenting on the arrival of Thomson Discovery Caron called it, 'the first move of a transitional programme for Thomson Cruises. 'I can't see Splendour of the Seas being the one and only ship to join our fleet', she told Seatrade Insider with a wry smile.

Asked if the line is considering expansion via the newbuilds route, Caron replied, 'there are no plans to build a new ship'.

Can't post a link as CC won't allow it, but over on cruisedot they are advertising the 2016 cruises, saying that every ship is AI. Cheapest cabin on Discovery is £1019 based on an October sailing from Palma. Ouch!

This was my first thoughts on seeing the advert on Thomson Discovery FB site.

"I'll be waiting to see reviews first before I book. It's expensive for the itinerary and time of year. And it's 'from' so balcony cabins are going to be a lot more.

Not sure whether the AI attracts me....will you have to pay extra for premium drinks? I'm paying approx £1,100 each for Adriatic in May/June in Deluxe Cabin, including DP from Newcastle Airport to Dubrovnik, a flight which is much more expensive than say Gatwick and Palma."

Perhaps all cruises will be more expensive next year with the AI included or is it "AI on all ships" for early bookings only. We will find out soon.

They won't quote for a single booking, surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

An inside for single occupancy for 7 nights in June on Oceana is from £1487 including flights, transfers plus OBC. Thomson will have to beat that!

From travel mole:

For winter 2017,

Thomson Cruises is inviting its Facebook fans to suggest an itinerary for one of its ships to be based in Barbados. Once the votes are in,
the cruise, to start on January 15, 2017, will go on sale in November.

Is the itinerary for 7 nights, and can you choose any island or from a list?

They won't quote for a single booking, surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

An inside for single occupancy for 7 nights in June on Oceana is from £1487 including flights, transfers plus OBC. Thomson will have to beat that!

Looks like you are right Davecttr Iglu have sent me an email saying that they could not contact me:confused:

Looks like you are right Davecttr Iglu have sent me an email saying that they could not contact me:confused:

HeHe :D:D:D

totally different contact problem - a friend of mine was walking past their doctors surgery and popped in to book an appointment. 'no' said the receptionist, 'you have to phone' :confused:.......... OK he said, whats the number?. Took his mobile out of his pocket and dialed....:D

Something that has occurred to me, is that with 5 ships they could have had one of them ex-UK. No excuses about emissions etc with a newer ship :rolleyes: So I guess my theory about filling Thomson planes looks more likely;)

Or am I being cynical? :p

Not cynical, Linda. Fill their planes AND their hotels for the Stay and Cruises.