really?

Freedom2014

Is it true the drinking age is 18 on NCL?

Only sort of- parents may give permission for their 18-20 year olds to purchase beer and wine as long as the parents are traveling with them. For European sailings the drinking age is 18.

Only sort of- parents may give permission for their 18-20 year olds to purchase beer and wine as long as the parents are traveling with them. For European sailings the drinking age is 18.

Not totally true. Parents not required to be present. We had a notarized letter from my nephew's parents when we took 18 year old son on a cruise.

He had 2-3 drinks total. Very mature young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not totally true. Parents not required to be present. We had a notarized letter from my nephew's parents when we took 18 year old son on a cruise.

And didn't you also agree to be responsible? I doubt that a 21 year old that presented a letter signed by his 20 year old girlfriend's parents giving her permission to drink would be as successful.

I hold my cursor over the subject title for a second and it displays the first few words of the post. If that doesn't clarify it enough for me I usually don't open the thread.

You must stop that immediately. You must open each and every thread, become upset, and add valuable information to the thread like "the question has been asked many times - use search" or "please post your complete question in the subject line." It makes reading the threads so much more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Anyway, the official policy is at http://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy under "Alcohol". The drinking age is 21, calculated as of the date of sailing, but if you turn 21 during the cruise you can ask for an exception from the Guest Services Manager and you may be allowed to drink on and after your birthday.

If you are under 21 but 18 or older, and sailing with your LEGAL guardian or parent, and the parent/guardian gives consent ON THE SHIP, you can drink beer or wine (but not liquor) when in international waters, except on Hawai'ian or Alaskan cruises. They do not allow a notarized consent form, etc.; the legal guardian or parent must appear with the 18+ year old in person. At least on their published policy; if you get away with doing it with a letter for someone else's adult child (?), more power to you. You just shouldn't rely on that since their policy is pretty clear on it.

If the sailing is in a country with laws that require NCL to grant drinking rights to 18 year olds, NCL follows the law (this prevents having to fly the skull and crossbones and exchanging cannon shots with the local coast guard).

Edited by fshagan

You must stop that immediately. You must open each and every thread, become upset, and add valuable information to the thread like "the question has been asked many times - use search" or "please post your complete question in the subject line." It makes reading the threads so much more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Anyway, the official policy is at http://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy under "Alcohol". The drinking age is 21, calculated as of the date of sailing, but if you turn 21 during the cruise you can ask for an exception from the Guest Services Manager and you may be allowed to drink on and after your birthday.

If you are under 21 but 18 or older, and sailing with your LEGAL guardian or parent, and the parent/guardian gives consent ON THE SHIP, you can drink beer or wine (but not liquor) when in international waters, except on Hawai'ian or Alaskan cruises. They do not allow a notarized consent form, etc.; the legal guardian or parent must appear with the 18+ year old in person. At least on their published policy; if you get away with doing it with a letter for someone else's adult child (?), more power to you. You just shouldn't rely on that since their policy is pretty clear on it.

If the sailing is in a country with laws that require NCL to grant drinking rights to 18 year olds, NCL follows the law (this prevents having to fly the skull and crossbones and exchanging cannon shots with the local coast guard).

So the info is available right there on NCL.com? Who woulda thunk it? ;)

There is no such thing as a country requiring anybody selling alcohol to anyone above certain age - establishments are free to set their own age limits, laws only state the minimums that can be allowed.

There is no such thing as a country requiring anybody selling alcohol to anyone above certain age - establishments are free to set their own age limits, laws only state the minimums that can be allowed.

Just so you'll know, the U.S. does not have any laws pertaining to a legal drinking age. The U.S. DOES have a rule about states getting their share of federal highway funds dependent upon their local laws pertaining to drinking ages.

Just so you'll know, the U.S. does not have any laws pertaining to a legal drinking age. The U.S. DOES have a rule about states getting their share of federal highway funds dependent upon their local laws pertaining to drinking ages.

Yep, I knew that. Anyway laws are laws, even if they were state laws instead of federal ones. :)

Even in EU we are getting really close to the legislation system in US - the European Commission makes directives that are comparable to US federal laws and then the member countries (states) have their own legislation that the directives might or might not limit. Only difference is that while the directives in EU are binding to all the member countries, those do need to be incorporated to each country's legislation separately in order for those to have legal power.

How would they know if you are the legal guardian or not? Say I brought one of my sons's 20 year of friends and said he was my son, how do u prove u are the guardian? Many kids don't have the same last name as their child. Do you have do bring their birth certificate? Just curious how this would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And didn't you also agree to be responsible? I doubt that a 21 year old that presented a letter signed by his 20 year old girlfriend's parents giving her permission to drink would be as successful.

I only presented that the parents do not need to travel with them. Since this was not our situation. You said they did. That's all.

How would they know if you are the legal guardian or not? Say I brought one of my sons's 20 year of friends and said he was my son, how do u prove u are the guardian? Many kids don't have the same last name as their child. Do you have do bring their birth certificate? Just curious how this would work.

I had to sign for my 19 year old on our May cruise and I wrote about it in my review. I'll copy and paste MY experience about it:

We headed down to customer service to get him signed up. The bar tender at the pool bar told me that all I needed to do was take our room cards and ourselves down to customer service to get him signed up. When we arrived, the lady looked at me like I was a bad parent for letting him sign up to drink at the age of 19. Sigh. I know my child, he's responsible with everything he does. He's worked at his union job for 2 1/2 years, never calls off and never gets into any trouble. He pays his bills on time and he's polite and considerate. I know what I'm doing. So after giving me the "judgement" look, she said I would need more than my room key to allow him to drink. I would need my ID as well. I told her I would have to go back to the room to get it. She ask if our names were the same. Nope, they are not, I'm remarried. She ask if the address on our ID's were there same. Nope, we just moved last week and I have the new address on my ID (only because when I renewed my license I knew that I was moving and knew the address) and he doesn't renew his license until November and has the old address on it. She was really trying. I told her "I'll be back with everything you need as proof" and walked away.

We arrived at my room where I proceeded to take out a folder with 1) My ID in it 2) My divorce papers proving that my name use to be the same last name as Kolin when I was married to his dad and 3) My marriage certificate from 8 years ago to my current husband showing that is why I have a different last name. I figured if that didn't do the job, they better take some time into looking up my information in their system showing what my previous address use to be from a week ago (which was the same as Kolins ID) and what my address is listed as for this cruise (which is what my ID said).

When we arrived back, we were helped by another representative who did not give us that judgement look and had me fill out the form and printed him off a new card with the PC listed on it.

I had to sign for my 19 year old on our May cruise and I wrote about it in my review. I'll copy and paste MY experience about it:

We headed down to customer service to get him signed up. The bar tender at the pool bar told me that all I needed to do was take our room cards and ourselves down to customer service to get him signed up. When we arrived, the lady looked at me like I was a bad parent for letting him sign up to drink at the age of 19. Sigh. I know my child, he's responsible with everything he does. He's worked at his union job for 2 1/2 years, never calls off and never gets into any trouble. He pays his bills on time and he's polite and considerate. I know what I'm doing. So after giving me the "judgement" look, she said I would need more than my room key to allow him to drink. I would need my ID as well. I told her I would have to go back to the room to get it. She ask if our names were the same. Nope, they are not, I'm remarried. She ask if the address on our ID's were there same. Nope, we just moved last week and I have the new address on my ID (only because when I renewed my license I knew that I was moving and knew the address) and he doesn't renew his license until November and has the old address on it. She was really trying. I told her "I'll be back with everything you need as proof" and walked away.

We arrived at my room where I proceeded to take out a folder with 1) My ID in it 2) My divorce papers proving that my name use to be the same last name as Kolin when I was married to his dad and 3) My marriage certificate from 8 years ago to my current husband showing that is why I have a different last name. I figured if that didn't do the job, they better take some time into looking up my information in their system showing what my previous address use to be from a week ago (which was the same as Kolins ID) and what my address is listed as for this cruise (which is what my ID said).

When we arrived back, we were helped by another representative who did not give us that judgement look and had me fill out the form and printed him off a new card with the PC listed on it.

That's an awesome story. And I'm glad I read it. I'm taking my daughter on a cruise in February and we never even thought about the drinking age. She'll be 20.5 years old at the time.

She goes to school in Ottawa, been legally allowed to buy/drink alcohol in Quebec for 2.5 years, 1.5 years in Ontario, then she gets on the ship and she's still not old enough? That's a :rolleyes: if I ever heard one.

They made a very big deal a few years ago when my friend brought her 19 yo daughter from her first marriage with her and wanted to give ok

Of course that was 9 years ago and political correctness these days probably says you can't question if a child has a different last name from the parent

I had zero trouble signing the consent form at Guest Services (6:00pm) for my 19 year old son in July on Breakaway. We do have the same last name.

He then got a new key card that had PC on it and was able to buy beer or wine. The gentleman behind the desk didn't blink an eye when I asked for the form.

Just our experience.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

That's an awesome story. And I'm glad I read it. I'm taking my daughter on a cruise in February and we never even thought about the drinking age. She'll be 20.5 years old at the time.

She goes to school in Ottawa, been legally allowed to buy/drink alcohol in Quebec for 2.5 years, 1.5 years in Ontario, then she gets on the ship and she's still not old enough? That's a :rolleyes: if I ever heard one.

Yea, I'll be going through this same situation again in 2 weeks. My son will once again be on a cruise with us (and today he turns 20), so will need that parental consent done again. (Well maybe, I'm not sure if he'll want it or not since he hasn't said anything yet and I think he only had maybe 1 or 2 beers on the ship last time). We'll see how the next ship handles it. :D

They made a very big deal a few years ago when my friend brought her 19 yo daughter from her first marriage with her and wanted to give ok

Of course that was 9 years ago and political correctness these days probably says you can't question if a child has a different last name from the parent

Nope, 9 years ago or this year...doesn't matter. It's still an issue...at least it was for us (see my above post from earlier and our experience). :p

I haven't looked at the laws of every country, but I can imagine some might have anti-discrimination laws that don't match ours. It may be that a country has a law that requires equal treatment of all adults 18 and over, and NCL covers themselves with this statement:

On cruises embarking in a country where the legal drinking age is lower than 21 and where a young adult (age 18, 19 or 20) is not traveling with a parent or legal guardian, they will generally not be permitted to consume alcohol. There may be exceptions made to this restriction in areas of the world where local laws require and Norwegian Cruise Line concurs.

I haven't looked at the laws of every country, but I can imagine some might have anti-discrimination laws that don't match ours. It may be that a country has a law that requires equal treatment of all adults 18 and over, and NCL covers themselves with this statement:

They are at sea and in international waters. NCL can set their rules.

In fear of even getting an argument going... it is hard for me to even fathom an 18 year old can go to war, have a child, vote, etc etc etc... but can not have a beer.

Unless the ships make the rules as they go. We cruised to Bermuda, son was 20. He is pretty responsible, so we signed the waver for him. The cruise line WOULD NOT accept any note, even notorized, for his girlfriend. Only if her parents were with her on the cruise they said. It was really no big deal.

We sailed on NCL Dawn out of Boston.

Edited by NH Cruisers

Unless the ships make the rules as they go. We cruised to Bermuda, son was 20. He is pretty responsible, so we signed the waver for him. The cruise line WOULD NOT accept any note, even notorized, for his girlfriend. Only if her parents were her on the cruise they said. It was really no big deal.

We sailed on NCL Dawn out of Boston.

Agree...

Now 7 years later it is time for my niece's 18th and HS grad cruise. We will be on the Jewel in April 2015.

Unlike her brother, she is not interested in drinking or gambling. Easy for me. :)

My daughter and I don't have the same last name. I brought copies of our birth certificates, also copies of my marriage license showing how my name went from hers to my current one.

I know what I'm doing. So after giving me the "judgement" look, she said I would need more than my room key to allow him to drink.

The desk girl was just ding her job. They have to enforce the policy. "Judgement" look? Unless she is from the USA, 19 is probably older than the drinking age were she comes from. Maybe that is just her look.