Queen Victoria, Singapore to Cape Town, April 2016

longton

We are ready to book two balcony staterooms for this cruise. I have never cruised before and I've been given the task of booking it. The information about types of balcony options (EB, EC, EF, FB, FC etc) and deck numbers is overwhelming.

Would I be right in thinking the higher the deck, and the more expensive the balcony suite, the better it will be. We don't mind paying extra to have a nice position on the ship.

Thanks for your advice.

The staterooms themselves will be pretty much identical (except for handicapped). A few have different balconies. For example, 7034 and 7035 have a bit more space in the cabin and a little larger balcony. (pictures of one like this on QE here https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/72157630296676128/page3/ - once again thanks to pepperrn and his fantastic photos!).

The fore and aft balcony staterooms are a little less expensive than the midship ones. The partially obstructed view ones are the cheapest.

Edited by Scrapnana

We are ready to book two balcony staterooms for this cruise. I have never cruised before and I've been given the task of booking it. The information about types of balcony options (EB, EC, EF, FB, FC etc) and deck numbers is overwhelming.

Would I be right in thinking the higher the deck, and the more expensive the balcony suite, the better it will be. We don't mind paying extra to have a nice position on the ship.

Thanks for your advice.

Great choice for a first cruise, I did this on the QM2 last year was a fantastic trip so much so that Im doing it again from Singapore through to the UK with you.. You'll enjoy the QV she's a great ship.

If you are a first time cruiser, you are probably better going for midships, the lower you are and the more midship you are , the less movement you will have. Though the seas we had last year were flat all the way through. The size of the balcony staterooms are pretty much the same layout, though there are a few small differences as Scrapnana pointed out.

I prefer the bow where there is more movement, the more the better...

The balconies on deck 4 are larger than on the other decks. Gives you more space and on a lower deck.

Don

Most of the forward balconies on deck 4 are metal fronted rather than glass (#4001-4042). Also to keep in mind, people can look down on you from the above balconies because they are larger. The balconies on the "corners" and the cut in area (don't know if there is a technical term for this) are also not totally private.

I would give deck 8 a miss, if you are booking a fare where you can choose your room. There can be some noise from above where the buffet and lido areas are situated.

On a fairly long warm weather cruise, a well chosen room on deck 4, (avoid the forward steel balcony rooms) could be very appreciated with the extra balcony room. We have chosen this deck many times for both balcony and Grills staterooms, and have never been disappointed.

We also like deck 7, as this is very quiet due to the reduced number of rooms.

Have a wonderful trip whatever you choose; QV has a special charm!