Faster WiFi Is On The Way

Hal&Rob

We just boarded the Zuiderdam today in Port Everglades and purchased the Internet package for the duration of the cruise (10 days). It was $149.95.

I spoke with the librarian and she said there are a few trouble spots on this itinerary and she also said that land based towers are not yet in service.

She also politely requested to log out when not in use.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Based on my last few trips, nowhere to go but up! I am guardedly optimistic.

On weeks that I am not at a client, I can work from anywhere and frequently do (Caribbean, Hawaii, etc) but have never been able to take advantage of a cruise because of the slowness/uncertainty of the internet. I am keeping my fingers crossed! :D

Edited by Micmac

This is great news as Carnival brands seemed to be behind on the issue compared to RCL.

If you can get reasonably fast internet at 35,000 feet on Southwest Airlines for a reasonable price, you should be able to get it at sea.

Ditto

We just boarded the Zuiderdam today in Port Everglades and purchased the Internet package for the duration of the cruise (10 days). It was $149.95.

I spoke with the librarian and she said there are a few trouble spots on this itinerary and she also said that land based towers are not yet in service.

She also politely requested to log out when not in use.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the mid-October Zuiderdam Sunfarer cruise and also signed up for the "all you can eat" internet package. It was not any faster than other cruises I've been on. We did love not having to track our minutes of use. Since we were using several computers/tablets, we did sign out when we got done with a session so that we could sign on with a different piece of equipment at any time. It would be great if the unlimited package also would be faster in the future.

Just of the Zuiderdam (Oct 27 sailing / 11-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer) –

We purchased the WiFi@Sea, unlimited WiFi for $149.99. It was a huge improvement over the old internet packages offered before. We were using our own computers and tablets, so log on was fast. I did notice that if I was using my tablet on my verandah, it was slower than if I was in my room.

Just of the Zuiderdam (Oct 27 sailing / 11-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer) –

We purchased the WiFi@Sea, unlimited WiFi for $149.99. It was a huge improvement over the old internet packages offered before. We were using our own computers and tablets, so log on was fast. I did notice that if I was using my tablet on my verandah, it was slower than if I was in my room.

On the same cruise. The service was fair at best (IMO) when we were near South America and Panama, and I had problems getting signed in. The last day, as we neared Florida, it was great - almost as fast as home. After reading this topic, I now understand why. I just hope they hurry and fix the out lying regions service.

Carnival Corp. launching faster Wi-Fi

Carnival Corp. on Monday announced it has developed a new wireless network that will deliver faster Wi-Fi to passengers and crew.

The world’s largest cruise company said its entire 101-ship fleet, spread across nine global brands, will eventually use the technology. Doral-based Carnival expects its total investment to be about $10 million for the hybrid network that combines satellite and land-based technologies.

Ramon Millan, global chief information officer for Carnival Corp., said in an interview that the hybrid model allows the company to add new technologies as they become available.

“When we realized that the demand for more bandwidth was just going up and up and up, we started saying, ‘What is our plan for the next coming years?’” he said. “We need to have a model, a strategy to allow us to evolve as needed.”

Wi-Fi from port connections and land-based antennas along voyage routes. An algorithm will evaluate the quality of bandwidth available, capacity and strength of signal and automatically connect passengers’ devices to the best option. The company is using more than one satellite vendor, but would not disclose who those partners are.

Carnival said it expects the new model to result in Wi-Fi that is about 10 times faster than the current speed on most of its ships.

A pilot program started about a year and a half ago. Now, about 10 ships are using the model. The company said it is launching the technology in the Caribbean this year and then rolling it out to Alaska in the summer, followed by the Mediterranean, Baltic, Western Europe and Asia in 2015 and 2016.

Carnival’s brands include Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn, Costa Cruises and AIDA Cruises.

Pricing has not been set, but the company said the cost will be determined by brand and is expected to be comparable to current prices.

Carnival isn’t the only company working to improve its Internet service at sea. In recent years, competitor Royal Caribbean International has invested in increasing bandwidth on some ships with plans to eventually roll out the faster service fleet wide.

In a press release, Carnival said the new network is expected to drum up more interest in cruise vacations, “especially among the tech-savvy millennial generation.” But Millan said he believes the prospect of faster Internet service will appeal to a wide range of potential cruise goers.

“We need to understand the different generations’ expectations and make sure we have the service and products on board to be aligned with that they’re expecting,” he said. “I don’t believe that access to the Internet is limited to that generation.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article3526774.html#storylink=cpy

I don't believe everything that I read; however, anything has to be an improvement over the current WiFi offered on cruises.

:p

This is nice to know. I remember I time when there was no wifi on the ships and we had to wait to go to internet stations at each port to go on line. Now you can't find too many internet stations.

Faster internet at sea is a big win. I think we need to communicate to HAL that wifi should be included at some point in their mariner benefits. They only give a 50% discount to five star mariners. Princess gives 150 minutes after only 6 cruises. I would rather have internet included or at a discount rather that a picture of your ship. I am three stars and only use the discount on specialty restaurants and wine packages. No other benefits are on interest to me.

It's good to see that HAL has heard our comments and is at least searching for a method to improve the internet service.

It sure beats our complaining and HAL doing nothing.

Scott & Karen

I agree.

Faster internet at sea is a big win. I think we need to communicate to HAL that wifi should be included at some point in their mariner benefits. They only give a 50% discount to five star mariners. Princess gives 150 minutes after only 6 cruises. I would rather have internet included or at a discount rather that a picture of your ship. I am three stars and only use the discount on specialty restaurants and wine packages. No other benefits are on interest to me.

Fair enough, and I do agree with you. One thing I like about hal is the discounts at the specialty restaurants. Princess has no such benefit. I would like princess to include that. That said, I don't feel the need to go to specialty restaurants as much on princess because the service is so much better than hal in the MDR.