To take the DSLR or not?

Hoosier2ram

I have a DSLR. I'd be interested to hear if people take their SLR with them or do you suffice with the phone camera and other cheaper, smaller, more portable cameras?

LOL, I darn near take my DSLR to the bathroom with me.

I plan on taking mine. look at it this way. if you don't want to carry it you can always lock it up in your cabin but if you want to take some pics and don't have it you'll be mad.

Edited by camptalcott

I used to carry my Nikon dSLR with the 18-205 zoom. However, it got to be a real pain carrying it around. I have switched to a Sony A6000. When I have the 16 - 50 lens on it. I hardly know that I am carrying it. For telephoto shots, I drop the 55-210 lens in my pocket. The camera has so as much flexibility as the dSLR I used to carry and some features that the dSLR did not have. True, the EVF is not as good as the optical dSLR viewfinder but it is pretty good and it shows a real time histogram in the viewfinder which is useful.

BTW - there are a number of other excellent mirrorless cameras out there.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I tried relying on my Iphone for photos on one trip and it wasn't a good experience. I won't be without my Iphone, but other than selfie type shots, it is not really good, and I also don't like the risk of carrying it when I don't need the other features, I leave it in the safe.

An SLR rig is the other extreme; fine for serious photographers, but too much trouble for me.

I use a fairly compact Panasonic Lumix which takes excellent photos and videos. That's the middle ground.

Edited by jamessemaj

Did it not provide closeups?

The main problem with the Iphone was use outside in full light. The viewfinder is impossible to see in sunlight, even with clouds. The other is that the photos are just not good quality. That is other than closeups. They are not a problem, especially indoors. But in any case, my Panasomic provides much higher quality photos.

Why do you have it, if not to use it? While I wouldn't take it to the beach, if there's no one to watch it while you're swimming, what's the point of having things if you don't use them?

For me, I don't even take photos...they always look like crap, and I spend so much time trying to find the "perfect shot", that I miss enjoying where I am!

I'm the same way. I am so appreciative of those that take fabulous pics & post reviews, but can't expect the same from me. My pics come out horrible & I miss out on the actual experience.

I recently purchased one of the new breed of mirror less interchangeable cameras as I was suffering from a sore neck and shoulder from carrying my heavy camera . I must say I love it . so much lighter and I love the added bonus of WiFi connection so I transfer photos to my phone or share on social media. The only time I miss bmy DSLR is for bird photography as I find an optical viewfinder vital for tracking . I will be leaving my DSLR at home when I take my first cruise to the Mediterranean next June.

For years I used a 35mm slr, then went for smaller digitalis and thought the photos were great. Then I went back to a DSLR! A fairly big Nikon 7100- I'd forgotten just how good the photos can be ( if you know what you're doing). Our mobile phones and iPads struggle in anything but perfect light, but the DSLR can shoot in most situations without a flash.

There are some great small alternatives to DSLRs now - look at Sony and Fuji - not cheap but great cameras.

I'd take the DSLR and invest in a decent back pack and ditch the manufacturers camera strap! I use a padded one that's also very slightly elasticated - cost about £20 and it really does distribute the weight much better than the thin ones supplied with the camera.

My wife is the photo-fanatic in our family. She started taking pictures a few years ago with a point and shot then graduated to a DSLR camera.

She takes both cameras with her when we travel but primarily uses the DSLR. She makes slide shows for her website with some of her pictures and also uses them in our cruise photo books.

To answer the OP's question, take whichever camera you have that takes the best quality pictures. You will be glad you did.

Happy cruising. It's a fantastic way to see the world!

On our last cruise we treated ourselves to a new camera....Nikkon Coolpix (DSLR) in mini form....we have the big Nikkon, which I love but it gets too heavy to carry around all day plus the lenses. This little guy is 42wide, zoom , 4.3-180mm It's amazing! 4"x5" and a couple of pounds. Easy to carry. Can't change lenses, but so far we really haven't needed to for vacation purposes. My husband has a small point and shoot - but I could never hold it steady enough to get a good pix. This camera compensates for my klutzy hands, also. Has GPS...Great color and focus!

I am confused!! Why would you have a nice DSLR and NOT take it with you? You have shelled out a good chunk of money for a good camera. Why have it and not use it? If you are serious enough about photography to purchase a DSLR, you should be serious enough to use it. I am taking my Canon T31, as well as a JVC digital camcorder and a digital point & shoot. My only worry is if I have enough memory cards!!

C8tfish . . .LOL....I know, crazy, right? I love my big camera and I do use it for nature shots, family gatherings etc. But as I get older, it's just hard to lug around. My daughter is a professional photographer and I am a self proclaimed, total armature but love a nice camera. I see what my daughter does and I am totally not in her league. Some ppl have an eye for catching,not just the scene in front of them, but the raw emotion as well. That's what she does. So for vacation.... believe me . . . my little red Nikkon does the trick. It awesome.

One thing, perhaps, to take account of is who you're travelling with. i find it easier to use my DSLR when out on my own. When I'm with SWMBO she is not happy if I spend ages framing a shot and then taking another 4 or 5 shots of the same thing at slightly different exposures.

Edited by DYKWIA

I am confused!! Why would you have a nice DSLR and NOT take it with you? You have shelled out a good chunk of money for a good camera. Why have it and not use it? If you are serious enough about photography to purchase a DSLR, you should be serious enough to use it. I am taking my Canon T31, as well as a JVC digital camcorder and a digital point & shoot. My only worry is if I have enough memory cards!!

Gee I wish canon would standardise their names, I had to go googling to find out what a T31 was.

Thank you to everyone for yoru comments and your preferred behaviors. I do feel compelled to respond directly to the quote above about being confused. Yes I did shell out a lot of money for my camera which is why I would think twice about wanting to get sand in it during the beach trip, or why I wouldn't want it to fall 150 feet below while zip lining from one tree to the next. And because it takes great pictures, I'd hate to get my sensor or mirror wet during the tubing excursion in Belize as it drags behind me submerged in the river. You can see where i'm going.

As others have commented, I'm well aware of the compromise between pics with my iphone vs my SLR but that was not the real question. I wanted to hear if people who also had large cameras, brought them along on their vacations and managed the anxiety of a broken/lose or otherwise compromised piece of expensive technology for a better picture. Many have said they take both or a smaller camera. I'm not heading to Best buy and spending a few hundred dollars for a P&S that will work. Yes I will bring my slr but I am def glad I asked the question and received the feedback.

Forgot to say, depending on which DSLR you have - it may have weather sealing and some sort of metal based frame. Mine has a Magnesium alloy frame which should take some knocks and has weather sealing sufficient to cope with poor weather and some moisture (although not being dropped in the sea!).

These features are introduced on the Nikon 7100 / Canon 70d and upwards. Cheaper models such as the Canon 700 / Rebel series I don't think have these features. If you have a Pentax k-5 these apparantly will take some real punishment

Edited by DYKWIA

Hoosier - I understand your worries completely. I think most people are concerned about damaging their camera in one way or another. My sole point is using the camera instead of keeping it under lock & key. I do not want my camera getting sand in it or dragging behind me underwater. I will take precautions to protect my DSLR and maybe not even take it to the beach. That sand can get in many an unwanted places. I love to take pictures and shooting an overabundance of them only makes me a better photographer. I apologize if I offended anyone. Thanks for all the comments.

Generally, if we're headed to the Caribbean where sand and water adventures are likely, we pack a point & shoot and an Underwater Housing. If we're headed to Europe, Asia, etc., it's always the DSLR and two lenses; one wide angle and one mid-range zoom. We did the 2 DSLR's and 5 lenses in a rolling camera case once and once only. From my perspective, the non-Caribbean trips are more one-of and I trust only my DSLR. If you're taking a lot of pics, I would recommend a large capacity iPad where you can download and store or backup your photos. Even if you have a camera with two card slots - it's better to be backed-up. I don't consider a cell phone with a camera as a viable option. Just my $.02.

my wife and i are avid photographers so half the fun of vacation is the photos. we purchased a nice camera backpack from pacsafe that is VERY theft resistant and not very large. It can still hold two slr cameras, a couple of lenses and a flash. i also carry a very cheap tripod, that is useable, but if lost or broken is no great loss. And a small, inexpensive remote trigger.

a macbook air slips in the pocket of the backpack in case i need to edit or review photos during the cruise. The whole package is easily manageable and i have a klot of fun on the cruise with my "toys".

The cameras are insured on a seperate rider on my homeowners policy.

Now, while i take them ALMOST everywhere, perhaps not on a beach swim or snorkeling excursion.

Yes on a whale watching excursion where we were on a catamaran.

Yes to maho beach to see the planes land.

We have a lot of fun on cruises, and want a lot of photos to remember them by.

The tripod and a remote trigger lets us take selfies anywhere, with a one minute setup.

I have taken two or three cameras. I always thought it I should be prepared. I did stop taking movies. It always seemed to much of a problem. One time as we rounded Cuba, I got some long distance shots with my SLR. It was still far away but saw enought to see some type of shipping operation. But now I just take pics for memories with my pentex digital.

I have taken two or three cameras. I always thought it I should be prepared. I did stop taking movies. It always seemed to much of a problem. One time as we rounded Cuba, I got some long distance shots with my SLR. It was still far away but saw enought to see some type of shipping operation. But now I just take pics for memories with my pentex digital.

When I was first switching from Film to digital I took 4 cameras [film and digital SLR and same in compact] and then bought 2 while I was away.:eek: Just because they were really good prices.

I used to be very careful with my DSLR but it's held up well despite all the abuse I've put it through. It's been to many wind-whipped beaches, coated in ocean spray, I've switched out lenses on the beach, dropped lenses, gotten the camera bag soaked by a rogue wave, etc.

That said, I do try to protect it as much as possible: I carry it around in a padded sling bag, bring a rain cover on cloudy days and I keep filters on my lenses at all times. Tubing I wouldn't risk without a decent dry bag. But it's too expensive a toy to just be sitting in my closet. ;)