Social media plan?

newlights

Back from a great cruise! The freedom is such a fantastic ship.

Signs for the new wifi plans were posted everywhere around the ship.

3 plans, social which is $5/day 25/cruise. value (16/day 60/cruise) which is pretty much social plus slow internet good for checking email and web pages, does not support Skype for streaming any type of media. And premium (25/day 99/cruise which boast to be 3 times faster. I am attaching the leaflet found in my stateroom.

My experience with the social plan was good. I was able to easily text using iMessage and Facebook was very responsive, even showed those small videos people post.. Now uploading is a different story. I was not able to upload/post any pics/videos on Facebook or iMessage. The send bar would fill up almost to the end and time out so I am guessing it's a carnival blocking issue and not the satellite. Unfortunately it's only available on the freedom right now.. Teenage passengers will love the social plan but I would definitely recommend getting the value over the social for the ability to check emails and simple web search.

Some people may not like seeing others on their devices on a vacation, but I for one loved the ability to keep connected to the outside world. To each their own. Carnival has kept in touch with what their customers wants, and this is one of their best ideas yet. Personally I think it's ahead of its time. Great job Carnival.

image.jpg.7eaf07142184d36ebc56598db6dbb411.jpg

I'm on Freedom in two weeks.

So, you're saying that you can post to Facebook (Android phone) but can't upload photos?

That's all I would really want to do. I don't need to go to FB every day and tell people where I am.

I really would like to be able to upload a photo or ten as I visit new islands.

So, you're saying that you can post to Facebook (Android phone) but can't upload photos?

Exactly. Not sure if it was a kink in the system since the service is only a week old. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.

I think it will be so sad to see everyone on their phones while at sea. Part of my vacation de-stress plan is to unplug. I am going to stick with that!

No reason to feel sad. I have an elderly grandmother and an unwell mother at home I want to keep tabs on, unplugging would be very stressful for me not to get an update from them. As my mom has iMessage I'm really hoping that they have this plan when I get on the Liberty in December so I can keep in touch for $25 vs the ridiculous amount I pay for text/phone calls.

Are they testing the $5 dollar social media plan on the Freedom? Anyone know who just got off the Freedom? Come on....haha

I know right, I figured this thread would be exploding by now. I guess not everyone is such a self absorbed selfie loving social media poster like me :o

Edited by just4steven

The "test" can last as long as they want it to last I suppose. I would think they'd be curious as to whether they'll make more money selling this to hundreds of people rather than the "regular" internet plans to fewer people.

Let's give them time to figure it out.

FTTF was a "test" for a while. My PVP originally thought the backlash from Plat/Dia folks would be so great that it would not continue. Instead, Carnival rolled it out fleetwide and sells many more FTTF passes than they ever said they would.

Obviously, if something appears that it will make money, they'll expand it.

As a SH, I'm fine with that! :D

That's all I would really want to do. I don't need to go to FB every day and tell people where I am.

I really would like to be able to upload a photo or ten as I visit new islands.

Just got off the Freedom on Sunday and WAS able to post pics and video to Facebook. Paid for the cheapest plan--$25/cruise.