Double serving of apps?

Gunnerbabe_2003

That's good to know! I do that frequently on Princess, and I'm glad I can do the same when I try HAL next summer. Any particularly good pastas to look out for? Love the fettuccine alfredo on Princess!

We were on the Zuiderdam recently for 18 days, and I remember doing an appetizer size of pasta a couple of times, but I can't specifically recall the specific dishes. Neither were particularly memorable. IMO, Princess does a better job on pastas, and of course, pizza! :)

This thread reminded me of a WWII poster I saw once. It took a while but I think I found it. My Dad was in the Navy and he likes to tell stories about how the KP officer wouldn't allow anything to be put in the trashcan.

339f9caabf317ed5f57fd6a2e92cfdd2.jpg

Tip: If you feel like appetizers before dinner, you can request them in the Lounges. They differ each night and usually feature a selection of 3 small choices.

Also, most nights the Daily Program will advertise "A Little Something" -- although there is a charge for the beverage offered, the appetizer (usually the Pinnacle Grill's featured appetizer of that night) itself is complimentary and can be requested by itself. I usually just stop by and ask for the appetizer to go.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by syesmar

This thread reminded me of a WWII poster I saw once. It took a while but I think I found it. My Dad was in the Navy and he likes to tell stories about how the KP officer wouldn't allow anything to be put in the trashcan.

Euby, point well taken; I was thinking the same thing. My mom could make a soup to last a week out of carrot stems and potato peels! Not because we couldn't afford to throw them out, but because she was born during the Great Depression and actually remembers ''the dole'' in Atlantic Canada, where rations of flour and veg were handed out.

I remember no such thing, but I do try to honour her respect for food, and remember having to finish my plate growing up. It's a habit I've not lost, which is why I'd rather order two of something I know I'll eat than 1 that I might end up binning!

In this age of sustainability, I'm sure the cruise lines are also quite pleased if there's less waste at the end of the meal. Better to feed us 5 crab we'll eat than 1 burger we won't! :D

Not the same poster when I was in Army Basic Training in 1967 but only "clean" trays were returned to the tray-washing folks.

While growing up as a youngster in the 50's and early 60' my folks (both WW2 Navy veterans) often reminded us 'kids' to "Take all you want but eat all you take".

Apparently this was a poster posted in many naval war ships at that time.

Thanks for the 'old' reminder.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob

You can order as much of anything on the menu as you wish.

Enjoy :)

On our recent cruise, it became known that my travelling companion would order two entrees.

On the night Surf and Turf was on offer, he only ordered one. When the steward removed his plate... he replaced it with another, full one. :)