Any Recent Cutbacks?

knittinggirl

For the first time ever I bought a full size bar of soap to take with me on my next cruise. I'm not complaining about it, though.

Food? There's things that are missing that I used to like. For example, they would have asparagus nicoise salad in the buffet some days. Now, I never see it. They used to serve beef Wellington in the buffet on formal nights. Now, I rarely see it. Do I ever go hungry? No. It's all good. I'm still on a cruise.

They did have it on the Royal on the Formal night when it was served in the MDR, but speaking to the person carving it, he said it wasn't that popular compared to other options, so if there was a lot of waste, I could see some ships not offering it.

For the first time ever I bought a full size bar of soap to take with me on my next cruise. I'm not complaining about it, though.

Food? There's things that are missing that I used to like. For example, they would have asparagus nicoise salad in the buffet some days. Now, I never see it. They used to serve beef Wellington in the buffet on formal nights. Now, I rarely see it. Do I ever go hungry? No. It's all good. I'm still on a cruise.

I've also been bringing my own soap and conditioner. I don't mind, although I do miss the lovely eucalyptus-scented products Princess used to have. (I know some people hated the scent.)

I haven't noticed the dining room cutbacks as much as other people have. I have cut back myself on red meat and usually order the fish. Almost everything I had on my last cruise was delicious.

The only constant is change, as they say. The cruise ship industry is not immune to change and the good old days are always in the past. I am a former Pan Am flight attendant and had a front row seat to changes in the airline industry. Whether they were good or bad is quite subjective and we can never go back. Cruising is still a wonderful vacation deal and I'll give up sesame seeds on my breadsticks in exchange for good cruise fare pricing any day!
I started my cruising career relatively recently as well as my Cruise Critic addiction.

The constant has been cut-backs complaints . While there have been reductions ,the

improvements have been much more significant in this short period. The pricing is better, the ships

are better (with a higher % of balconies), the food options are greater (specifically anytime dining

which is mandatory for us) and finally the greater restrictions on smoking.

If this is the era of cut-backs, I hope it continues .;) I am looking forward to my

first Princess cutbacks. :D

Edited by richstowe

I started my cruising career relatively recently as well as my Cruise Critic addiction.

The constant has been cut-backs complaints . While there have been reductions ,the

improvements have been much more significant in this short period. The pricing is better, the ships

are better (with a higher % of balconies), the food options are greater (specifically anytime dining

If this is the era of cut-backs, I hope it continues .;) I am looking forward to my

Glass half-full. :)

Glass half-full. :)

Exactly.. throw in a Mars Bar at night and that glass would be nearly full!! :)

But I'm with Rich... Only been cruising for about 10 years and the cutbacks (if any) haven't really been noticeable to us. Try looking at the airline changes recently. Don't really think we should complain with the cruise market.

I must say that I am excited about the recent additions rather than sad about cutbacks. The Discovery Channel thing could be very good, can't wait for the first star gazing session. And the new chocolate thing too. The Royal and Regal Princess have some really nice things going on too, like Afredos and the new improved buffets. While there are certain things I will miss that are traditions (wrap around promenade especially) I think there is still a lot to offer.

On aussie ship they have soap and shampoo dispensers in shower they have remofed 1box ofvtissues per cabin and increased the amount of printed ads for art auctions / those idiotic jewelry salss teeth whitening it never ends

Why are we dwelling on things that have been cut back? What about the things that have been added over the past few years? For example, the International Cafe, the new Chocolate desserts, Alfredo's, Princess' new craft brew, etc.

I really liked Alfredo's on the Sapphire. I wish the Golden had one too.

I also like the IC a lot but it would be nice if they had more items without whipped cream/cream based products. Maybe they can throw in some chocolate cake to go with my cookies :D

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

On aussie ship they have soap and shampoo dispensers in shower they have remofed 1box ofvtissues per cabin and increased the amount of printed ads for art auctions / those idiotic jewelry salss teeth whitening it never ends and worse still they put the price of beer up grom 5.50 to 6.75

On aussie ship they have soap and shampoo dispensers in shower they have remofed 1box ofvtissues per cabin and increased the amount of printed ads for art auctions / those idiotic jewelry salss teeth whitening it never ends and worse still they put the price of beer up grom 5.50 to 6.75

Looks like I'll need to add Kleenex to our list.

They cut out hair conditioner! Aaaarrrrggghhh! Now you either have to use their useless 2-in-1 product or pack your own. One more liquid to try to get thru airline security.

Yes it's not very good at all and we were in a suite. It did not condition at all. Bring your own from home!

Ask for more if you start to run low.