Navigator vs Quantum…Opinions?

Several days ago I posted asking for some opinions on my cruise options. Well, after Royal's sale ended the other day, some prices skyrocketed, including some of my original options… So, as of right now, I have two more options (I know prices may change again in the next few days, but just curious to get some others opinions):

Quantum of the Seas - 8 Night Bahamas

Cape Liberty, Port Canaveral, Nassau, CocoCay

Navigator of the Seas - 7 Night Western Caribbean

Galveston, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel

Not sure how I will like Dynamic Dining, worried about a lower level of service since you won't have the same waitstaff. That's one of the things we love about our cruises, but do you think the new ship would be worth giving that up? Entertainment and the ship look really amazing. We didn't really like our Norwegian Cruise, party because of freestyle, but there were many other factors besides that. To me, Dynamic Dining looks a little better than NCL's freestyle. The Quantum's ports are pretty bad, but that trip would be for the ship, besides no flying needed.

But since Navigator was recently updated, she also looks like a very good option. We like how she has Traditional Dining and the ports are pretty good. This cruise would be like the usual Royal cruise that we love. We would need to fly to Galveston, so that makes the trips pretty comparable price wise.

So, with all that said, what would you recommend?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Navigator is nice, with better ports but 8 days is better than 7 and I would give the newer ship a try , I am sure entertainment is better on Quantum , I enjoyed Navigator on my cruise 6 months ago but entertainment was just ok. I am also a fan of the Traditional Dining , but why fly if it is not needed.

Quantum of the Seas - 8 Night Bahamas

Cape Liberty, Port Canaveral, Nassau, CocoCay

Navigator of the Seas - 7 Night Western Caribbean

Galveston, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel

So, with all that said, what would you recommend?

Quantum = premium pricing, this 8 day itinerary has to be one of the worst in the fleet, 1st and last day cold(er) weather depending on time of year from Bayonne

Navigator = excellent refurb + Sabor + excellent itinerary with sunshine all 7 days plus likely less than half the price (see Navigator review w/tons of ship pics in my signature)

No brainer for me personally .... Navigator

p.s. I'm only doing Q for it's 11-day Southern route with excellent ports. There's no way I'd personally spend the kind of money they are asking for PC & Nassau.

disclaimer... I guess it also really depends on how strongly you feel you about sailing on Q before she disappears for a very very long time likely in China. This was a really strong motivator for me personally to get on her.

Edited by Hoopster95

I would think that Navigator would be significantly less expensive than Quantum.

With the added cost of flying to Houston, Quantum ends up being only about $200-300 more.

Quantum = premium pricing, this 8 day itinerary has to be one of the worst in the fleet, 1st and last day cold(er) weather depending on time of year from Bayonne

Navigator = excellent refurb + Sabor + excellent itinerary with sunshine all 7 days plus likely less than half the price (see Navigator review w/tons of ship pics in my signature)

No brainer for me personally .... Navigator

p.s. I'm only doing Q for it's 11-day Southern route with excellent ports. There's no way I'd personally spend the kind of money they are asking for PC & Nassau.

I guess its just the idea of a new ship that has me attracted to the Quantum cruise.

However, if I don't do Quantum this year and Anthem is staying in Bayonne year round, I can look into her for summer 2016 on maybe a longer caribbean itinerary.

Sailed that itinerary on NAV in late August. Ship was really beautiful, with all the refurb updates being well thought out. Great new restaurant venues, lovely D Club. Good itinerary -- we had a blast. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. Caveat: I live in Louisiana so we could drive. If you had to fly, then that advantage goes away. Quantum looks really interesting, but as you say Anthem will be close to you. Does the itinerary of either sway you one way or the other?

One other thing: Galveston is kinda fun. There's a fabulous restaurant (Rudy and Paco's) that is to die for; very intimate and not inexpensive but some of the freshest and best fish (red snapper) you will ever eat, and the Boardwalk area is fun to walk around. We didn't experience any issues with debarkation, as some have reported.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Can you wait until May to cruise...Liberty of the Seas sails out of Bayonne, 9 and 10 nighters

We would prefer to cruise in Mar/Apr, but we are aware of Liberty's itineraries. Thanks!

Sailed that itinerary on NAV in late August. Ship was really beautiful, with all the refurb updates being well thought out. Great new restaurant venues, lovely D Club. Good itinerary -- we had a blast. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. Caveat: I live in Louisiana so we could drive. If you had to fly, then that advantage goes away. Quantum looks really interesting, but as you say Anthem will be close to you. Does the itinerary of either sway you one way or the other?

One other thing: Galveston is kinda fun. There's a fabulous restaurant (Rudy and Paco's) that is to die for; very intimate and not inexpensive but some of the freshest and best fish (red snapper) you will ever eat, and the Boardwalk area is fun to walk around. We didn't experience any issues with debarkation, as some have reported.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

I prefer the itinerary of NotS, but Quantum being a new ship would make up for its poor itinerary. Such a difficult choice!!!

I like the idea of seeing Galveston, looks interesting.

Another thing I was considering is this trip will most likely just be our family of 3, instead of our usual group of 7-10. So this might be a good time to try DD on Quantum, since it will be easier to figure out just our family's schedule, instead of trying to coordinate show and dinner plans with multiple families.

With the added cost of flying to Houston, Quantum ends up being only about $200-300 more.

That's all?? Hmmmm... what would I do?

Because I have a private little bucket-list item of trying to get on every ship in the fleet somehow/someway as I travel the world, I guess for this smaller difference I would go on Q else run the risk of never sailing on her... she may be gone for a very long time. The reviews on the current Q live thread have been extremely positive

For the small difference, would probably book the Quantum. Also, not sure if you included the additional cost of getting from the airport to the cruiseport.

Thanks for your response. I haven't really factored transportation into the final cost, but I figured it would be pretty comparable. From some research, it appears Galveston is about an hour or so from the airport in Houston. If we choose Quantum, there is no flying involved, only about an hour ride to the cruise port. So all in all, prices will be pretty comparable.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Having just got off the Quantum, I must say that she is not yet ready for Prime Time. I know that they are going to keep working on fixing things, but I do feel that a lot of the things are not going to be fixed quickly

What "things" are you actually speaking of?

I've read a lot of different small complaints, but I didn't see anything that problematic. If we choose Quantum, we won't be sailing until mid-March, so hopefully things will be figured out by then.

What "things" are you actually speaking of?

I've read a lot of different small complaints, but I didn't see anything that problematic. If we choose Quantum, we won't be sailing until mid-March, so hopefully things will be figured out by then.

Well, IT systems are having issues. There is still problems with the Royal IQ and the planner on board. It was not talking nice with the Dinning reservation system and the Customer Services and restaurants actually had to have hard copies printed out for their nightly service.

There were mechanical problems. The elevators broke down several times throughout cruise, and not just during the rough weather. I did get stuck once for about 10-15 minutes.

I know that the baking ovens for breads and cookies broke down more than once in the Windjammer as they ran out of cookies and had to wait for mechanics to come restart the ovens.

They had trouble charging up the bumper cars in the Sea Plex and had to shut down early because all the cars kept running out of juice.

I know a lot of people were having trouble with climate controls in the stateroom cabins.

They are still working out kinks in 270 and also with the Robot bartenders.

Another 4 months and they better have things working right. I dont see them having all of these things fixed for the 23rd sailing though.

Quantum = premium pricing, this 8 day itinerary has to be one of the worst in the fleet, 1st and last day cold(er) weather depending on time of year from Bayonne.

It really is a horrible itinerary. 6:30am to 9 in PC, 1pm to midnight in Nassau, and a day in Coco Cay which is often missed due to sea conditions. I have this booked in March because it is when my kids are home from college, but still thinking about cancelling.

If OP can, I would try to find a better itinerary on Quantum. (I wouldn't want to go out of Galveston either)

Edited by marci22