Yorkey's Knob / Cairnes

Looking for advice. Had our planned excursion cancelled in Cairnes, Aus.

Going into Yorkey's Knob. Not interested in Great Barrier Reef as have been there. Would like to do the Kuranda Cable Car (Skyrail) but transportation to and from seems to be tricky.

Can anyone recommend best way to do the Skyrail? Not really interested in the train ride. Is the ship excursion the best route to take?

Thanks for the help!

Another alternative is to go to the cable car by taxi. There are usually several taxis available at Yorkey's Knob and if there isn't one waiting, one will arrive within a few minutes. I can't tell you how much the taxi ride would be, but it would not be expensive. You can check on line to see what the cable car ride will cost you.

Why do you say it would not be expensive?

It's a long trip out so I'd expect it to be dear... and Australian taxis aren't known for being cheap.

For myself, I did the trip out via a shuttle transfer at extra cost, but it was organised through the train so I'm not sure if it's available by cable car alone.

Looking for advice. Had our planned excursion cancelled in Cairnes, Aus.

Going into Yorkey's Knob. Not interested in Great Barrier Reef as have been there. Would like to do the Kuranda Cable Car (Skyrail) but transportation to and from seems to be tricky.

Can anyone recommend best way to do the Skyrail? Not really interested in the train ride. Is the ship excursion the best route to take?

Thanks for the help!

Hi there!

One of my favourite things to do when I visit Cairns is to take the Kuranda train up, wander around Kuranda, have a little lunch then take the cable car back down to the coast.

It truly is an amazing day so please don't dismiss the train trip as it's just as amazing as the cable car.

Don't know about how to get there from Yorkeys Knob as I've only ever been on land trips in that area but if you can share a taxi with another couple the price shouldn't be too prohibitive - but surely the ship will offer a shuttle.

Regards - Gae

The Skyrail terminal is closer to Yorkey's Knob than it is to Cairns, about half the distance in fact.

The scenic train leaves from Freshwater, which is a couple of kms closer to Cairns. The train trip really is worth doing. I think it's even more scenic than the Skyrail, however it's best to do both as you can get off the Skyrail at a couple of places and have a walk around the rainforest.

There is much more to see in and around Cairns than spending the whole day on the train and skyrail. There is so much to see especially on the Atherton Tablelands and l presume you will want to see as much as you can in the one day you are there. Send me an email and l might be able to help you in regards to what to see and how to do it.

You are coming a long way and you should make the most of it......who knows if you will be back downunder again in the future.

The reason I said it would not be expensive to go from Yorkeys Knob to the Skyrail terminus is simple - it isn't expensive. :) The skyrail goes from Smithfield not from Cairns and I think the taxi fare of $45 quoted would be from Yorkeys Knob to Cairns. As far as I can estimate, it is only about 10-12km to the skyrail terminus.

Another option is the public bus that runs every hour from Yorkeys Knob down to Cairns. That would be much cheaper but also much slower.:)

KarateMan's photos of the Barron Falls look good, but I haven't seen it looking like that on any of our trips. When we were there a couple of weeks ago we were told that they let the water out of the dam at 3.30pm every day to run the hydro plant. Maybe the photos were taken at this time.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Just over 7km from the Yorkey's Knob marina to the Skyrail terminal, and close to 15km from Cairns Port, according to Google Maps ;)

I was over-estimating the distance just to be safe. Checking further this is what I have found for a taxi trip from Yorkeys Knob to the Skyrail terminus.

Estimated Trip - Distance: 6.0 km Duration: 7 mins Start Price: A$4.30 6.0 km x A$2.23 : total price A$13.32

Maybe count on close to $15. Certainly not expensive for two people - or maybe four people sharing.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

The reason I said it would not be expensive to go from Yorkeys Knob to the Skyrail terminus is simple - it isn't expensive. :) The skyrail goes from Smithfield not from Cairns and I think the taxi fare of $45 quoted would be from Yorkeys Knob to Cairns. As far as I can estimate, it is only about 10-12km to the skyrail terminus.

Another option is the public bus that runs every hour from Yorkeys Knob down to Cairns. That would be much cheaper but also much slower.:)

KarateMan's photos of the Barron Falls look good, but I haven't seen it looking like that on any of our trips. When we were there a couple of weeks ago we were told that they let the water out of the dam at 3.30pm every day to run the hydro plant. Maybe the photos were taken at this time.

Yes that is the price to Cairns forgot OP was wanting to go the skyrail ,you are right cab fare would be minimal , if you look on the link I gave you can see how much closer it is than Cairns but if the OP gets the chance to do the train it is worth it

I went on a similar cruise last year and the sky rail have a mini bus transport option that will pick you up and drop you back to Yorkeys Knob. Look on the skyrail website for further details. I booked it over the phone.

Found this maintenance schedule for the train. It effects my Dec 5 day in Cairns so thought might be useful for others.

2014/15 Kuranda Scenic Railway Maintenance Closure Dates

April: Monday 7, Tuesday 8 2014

May: Thursday 1, Friday 2 2014

October: Monday 20, Tuesday 21 2014

November: Thursday 6, Friday 7 2014

December: Thursday 4, Friday 5 2014

Kuranda Scenic Railway

Planned maintenance closures 2015

All Kuranda Scenic Railway services are cancelled on the following dates due to planned maintenance on

the Kuranda Range:

Thu 30 April 2015

Fri 01, Thu 28 and Fri 29 May 2015

Thu 15 and Fri 16 October 2015

Thu 12 and Fri 13 November 2015

Thu 03 and Fri 04 December 2015

The 8.30am Cairns–Kuranda and 2.00pm Kuranda–Cairns Kuranda Scenic Railway services are cancelled

on the following dates due to planned Skyrail maintenance:

Thu 07, 14 and 21 May 2015

Thu 03, 10 and 17 September 2015

The 9.30am Cairns–Kuranda and 3.30pm Kuranda–Cairns Kuranda Scenic Railway services will run as

normal.

All Kuranda Scenic Railway services are cancelled on Christmas Day.

The above dates have been carefully selected with consideration to visitor trends during these months.

When I did the Kuranda Scenic Railway in 2008 it was part of the Aurora world Cruise where I did a sector from Sydney to Hong Kong.

In the weeks leading up to my visit, Queensland got an absolute drenching with rain and there was plenty of floodwater around the surrounding areas. The waterfall at Stoney Creek and Barron Falls was gushing due to excessive rain.

Overall I was very impressed with the railway. I could possibly do it again if I was there. The Sky Rail does seem interesting now by all accounts I have read here.