Passport Needed

>> I have never understood why so many Americans are loathe to get a passport.

Uh, because they cost money and many people don't need them. Is that really so hard to understand?

Uh yeah, a little hard to understand,! I've had one since 1965. How 'bout you?

If you can afford the cruise you can afford a passport. They do last for ten years.

Aside from the cost, is there any reason why so many people are so reluctant to obtain a passport? It's good for 10 years, so it's relatively inexpensive, and opens up a world of travel possibilities
Several good reasons exist:

- The books are an antiquated format that doesn't fit easily into a wallet, making it easy to lose. Personally, I'd like to see us move towards a national driver's license, which would hold all the necessary information on a small, compact, waterproof card.

- They are not "relatively inexpensive", especially when compared to FREE (which is the cost of using your birth certificate and your driver's license, items you already have).

- Though the dates say ten years, you're likely to be refused for boarding if you're within six months of expiration, so they're actually good for 9 1/2 years. In contrast, your birth certificate never expires.

- You can't compare America (and our travel) to the rest of the world; our country is so much larger. Thus, most American vacations do not include crossing international lines, so it's easy to travel without obtaining a passport. If you know you're going to travel internationally -- yes, get the passport. But if you're looking at it for just one cruise, save the money.

- You are very, very unlikely to encounter a situation that would require flying home during a cruise. Even if you do have an emergency at home, you may not be near an airport /may not be able to schedule a flight home /may not be able to afford the last-minute ticket /may decide that it's just not worth the trouble to get home one day early. So you're just plain not likely to fly home, which removes the possibility that makes most people buy a passport.

Personally, I don't see why in the year 2014 we still have these old-fashioned IDs.

I am sure most cruisers know this; however if you go to St. Thomas and want to go to Tortula, you MUST have a passport as that is the British Virgin Islands and not the US. We did an excursion in Tortula and we had to have a passport.

When they were checking identification, they kept looking at Frank's passport, looking at him, looking at the computer, back at him, typing things in, calling someone over to look at him, passport, computer, etc. and finally after about 5 minutes or more, they let us pass. I asked him if there was something he needed to tell me :D

Several good reasons exist:

- The books are an antiquated format that doesn't fit easily into a wallet, making it easy to lose. Personally, I'd like to see us move towards a national driver's license, which would hold all the necessary information on a small, compact, waterproof card.

Personally, I don't see why in the year 2014 we still have these old-fashioned IDs.

Not sure what a national drivers license would do for passports, but you can get the passport card if you wish. You won't be able to fly on it, and since it doesn't have pages to stamp entry visas on you'll find that many countries won't accept it, but it'll fit in your wallet.

Uh yeah, a little hard to understand,! I've had one since 1965. How 'bout you?

If you can afford the cruise you can afford a passport. They do last for ten years.

How 'bout me? I have a passport because I need one.

But I don't have - for example - a motorcycle license. Don't need one, not going to go through the cost and bother of getting one.

There are lots of things I can afford... some of which even last 10 years. Doesn't mean I am going to buy all of them, even if many are "nice to have".

I've cruised a lot and almost every trip I hear of someone that thought their birth certificates were good enough. And found out they weren't. They stayed on the dock while the ship left. They tried, begged, pleaded, even cried, to deaf ears.

You need a state certified birth certificate. I don't believe they are free. And the only thing you can do with them is get on a cruise ship.

Passports are the best form of identification as well. I feel if a person is going to travel outside the country, then get a passport....just include it in the cost of the trip.

Just like a driver's license.....even if one doesn't have a car, or can't drive anymore due to illness or disability.....it's good to keep the license active as a form of identification.

It is a personal choice of course, we can only advise...:p

Just flew with my 94 year old mother and TSA refused to allow the use of her expired (3 months) California Drivers License. I told him that he was lucky it was expired (no grin). She did have a passport but that was expired also. Luckily she had her military dependent ID (no expiration date) and they took that. Doesn't seem to make sense to not allow use of an expired ID card if you can clearly see the person is who it says it is. But, heck it's the government!

So my DH and I are leaving in February on the Oasis Of The Seas, sailing to Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Marteen do we need passports for all three ports? Im wanting to make sure before I send out the need paperwork and pictures to get ours renewed? Thank you in advance.

You may not need them but always good to have.

Not sure what a national drivers license would do for passports, but you can get the passport card if you wish. You won't be able to fly on it, and since it doesn't have pages to stamp entry visas on you'll find that many countries won't accept it, but it'll fit in your wallet.
Yeah, I don't think that's news to anyone.

The question is, Why in 2014 are we still using physical stamps in an oversized book? This information could be held on a convenient-to-carry card -- and the national license makes sense because it would be standard across the states, and it'd be useful on a regular basis -- not just for travel. A driver's license card would be more durable than a book. It'd be a step forward from the Luddite concept of a passport book, which has outlived its usefulness.

I've cruised a lot and almost every trip I hear of someone that thought their birth certificates were good enough. And found out they weren't. They stayed on the dock while the ship left. They tried, begged, pleaded, even cried, to deaf ears.

You need a state certified birth certificate. I don't believe they are free. And the only thing you can do with them is get on a cruise ship.

No one's defending the idea of using an incorrect birth certificate. When I was a kid, hospitals used to issue "souvenier birth certificates" -- I have one in my baby book -- however, I'm pretty sure ALL birth certificates are official state-issued documents.

They're useful for a number of things: Registering your kid for school, for one thing. Obtaining a driver's license. Registering to vote. It's one of the documents that can be used in proving your identity for a new job.

No, they're not free, but one copy will last you your whole life. But here's the real kicker: You'll need the birth certificate to get the passport, so IF you don't have a birth certificate already (and I don't see how you wouldn't), you'd have to spend that money ANYWAY before you could get a passport.

Just like a driver's license.....even if one doesn't have a car, or can't drive anymore due to illness or disability.....it's good to keep the license active as a form of identification.
Except that you have to prove that you have insurance before you can get a license. That'd be a big cost for a non-driver to shoulder just so he could have a license in his pocket.

A person who doesn't drive (too young, unable for medical reasons, whatever) could get a state-issued ID card from the driver's license bureau. These ID cards cost less than a license and don't expire. Depending upon a person's needs, they may be a better choice than a driver's license -- and that's a pretty good analogy for the passport. You have choices; consider which one actually fits your lifestyle.

All 3 of us have ours. My daughter has had hers since she was 7-8 months old. Wouldn't think of traveling without one - even domestically.
Why would you carry your passport if you're not crossing an international line? Aren't you just risking loss? What purpose could it possibly serve? Edited by MrsPete

Yeah, I don't think that's news to anyone.

The question is, Why in 2014 are we still using physical stamps in an oversized book? This information could be held on a convenient-to-carry card -- and the national license makes sense because it would be standard across the states, and it'd be useful on a regular basis -- not just for travel. A driver's license card would be more durable than a book. It'd be a step forward from the Luddite concept of a passport book, which has outlived its usefulness.

Except that cards often don't carry the info. It's usually in another database that you access. For your idea to work, every country would have to agree to a format and pay for the infrastructure to make it work. It would not work.

Except that you have to prove that you have insurance before you can get a license. That'd be a big cost for a non-driver to shoulder just so he could have a license in his pocket.

A person who doesn't drive (too young, unable for medical reasons, whatever) could get a state-issued ID card from the driver's license bureau. These ID cards cost less than a license and don't expire. Depending upon a person's needs, they may be a better choice than a driver's license -- and that's a pretty good analogy for the passport. You have choices; consider which one actually fits your lifestyle.

Depends on the state, no proof of insurance is required in ohio prior to obtaining a license. A state ID is much cheaper though.

Aside from the cost, is there any reason why so many people are so reluctant to obtain a passport? It's good for 10 years, so it's relatively inexpensive, and opens up a world of travel possibilities.

And of course, if you miss the boat in a foreign port, or get sick and have to return to the US by air...'nuff said.

Even if it's for 10 years it's not relatively inexpensive for families since they don't let pay by the year.:)

Say you have a family of 5. that's going to be over $600 if you buy them all at once.

Bill

I am sure most cruisers know this; however if you go to St. Thomas and want to go to Tortula, you MUST have a passport as that is the British Virgin Islands and not the US. We did an excursion in Tortula and we had to have a passport.

When they were checking identification, they kept looking at Frank's passport, looking at him, looking at the computer, back at him, typing things in, calling someone over to look at him, passport, computer, etc. and finally after about 5 minutes or more, they let us pass. I asked him if there was something he needed to tell me :D

Im not sure if it makes a difference that you were going to Tortola from another island, but Tortola was a port we visited on one of our cruises and we do not have passports. We had no issue getting off the ship and onto Tortola.

On a side note, just have to say you have an awesome avatar picture! We have an 08 Charger too.

Im not sure if it makes a difference that you were going to Tortola from another island, but Tortola was a port we visited on one of our cruises and we do not have passports. We had no issue getting off the ship and onto Tortola.

On a side note, just have to say you have an awesome avatar picture! We have an 08 Charger too.

Yes, it makes a difference if you're coming from another island.

Thank you. It is the R/T with the sports package but we added a Borla exhaust, exhaust cut-outs, an SRT8 hood and SRT8 suspension. Love my car :) It looks just like the car in my avatar picture :D

And yes, we came from St. Thomas so I believe if you come from another island via an excursion you have to have a passport :)

Why would you carry your passport if you're not crossing an international line? Aren't you just risking loss? What purpose could it possibly serve?

Why not? It is an acceptable form or identification. You can use it when filling out an I9 when beginning employment.

We haven't always, but all it took to convince us was the airline not spelling my name correctly. The first thing out of the TSA agent's mouth was "do you have a passport?" I did, but it was locked in the safe at home. A bunch of random items that I could pull together with my correct spelling later, I got through security in neigh time to walk on the plane and take off.

Yes, it really was the airline's fault. Years ago when you could reprice all airfare and get future credit. Some airlines had you make reservations with the call center to use the credit. When I got the confirmations the next day I notified them if the error. They "noted it in the system," but didn't change it. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Further, I've never been scared of losing my passport. It hasn't happened yet.

Speaking of passports, ours were expiring April of 2015 and our extra pages were getting full so we sent them off for renewal so we would be ready for upcoming trips. I mailed both of them together on October 17th, and we received our new ones on Nov. 1st.

Pretty fast turnaround for regular service.

Btw you need a passport to re-enter the US from Canada or Mexico. And on a cruise not having a passport only works if the cruise leaves and returns from the same US port. I have started using my passport on domestic flights. I know no one expects to be stuck in a foreign country but just read the posts and the increasing number of people who have to get sick are removed in an emergency. Clearly not something any of us plans.

Just makes sense to travel with them.

I dont find it odd at all. There are many many people that will never leave this country and consider a Passport a waste of money.

I agree with you if you had said cruisers instead of adults. I cant for the life me understand why anyone would leave this country on a cruise ship without one but its really none of my business. I will always have a Passport :)

As we have found out just in the last couple of weeks though, its NOT the end of the world if you miss the ship and dont have a Passport. It took a total of two extra days for the OP to catch back up with his family and that included flying back to the US before flying to catch back up with the ship.

Your last statement isnt quite true! He did have his 'expired passport" with him when he was left behind not "no passport" and he stated that he was so glad he did have his expired passport because the embassy or consulate could do an immediate renewal for him to travel,which they did.

There is a huge difference between "not having your passport with you" or having an expired passport and "not having a passport at all"

Thought I would just point that out :)

Edited by fishtaco