using skype aboard

cbb

Even though we've taken many cruises we've not attempted to skype family from aboard ship.

How successful have you all been? Thanks for your help!

Unless things have recently changed, using Skype is not going to happen.

It has been blocked in the past- too much band width taken when people Skype.

I used Facetime multiple times over our 14-day Caribbean cruise in March 2014 to talk to our daughter back home. I know that's limited to Apple products, but it might be an option for you. I am not that tech-smart, but I believe Facetime uses less data (or whatever the term is) than Skype. The connection was generally pretty good, too.

I probably should have been more specific...we're currently using "Google Chat" but that is here in the US.

Mr Wonderful thought perhaps bandwidth would be a problem. Perhaps he can do some additional research. We are not Apple users.

We're signed up to do RTW16 and would like to see faces and hear voices of those I love!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it!

I probably should have been more specific...we're currently using "Google Chat" but that is here in the US.

Mr Wonderful thought perhaps bandwidth would be a problem. Perhaps he can do some additional research. We are not Apple users.

We're signed up to do RTW16 and would like to see faces and hear voices of those I love!

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it!

Mr. Wonderful is correct. Skype uses too much bandwidth. However some people have used it OK at night (audio only) when demand is light.

I don't think so -- would be good since Viber is 30% more efficient..

VIBR works great, especially in off hours (early morning/late night). Skype will work (voice only) about the same, with some distortion/delay depending on where you are. Point being, you can certainly make VoIP calls from the ship's wifi with decent results.

I would like to second the idea of just asking any staff (bartenders tend to be quite helpful) where there is free/cheap wifi in the next port of call. They always seem to know where to go, even if it is a touristy McDonalds! If I want to video chat, this is what I do but again, VIBR and skype voice works pretty well off hours. I know there is an effort to update the technology to improve speeds, but I think the mega-ships are going to be the ones to invest in that first. Think about it 680 - 1200 people vs. the new 5000+ ships? I can't even imagine how they'd sell internet packages!!! The bandwidth must have been INCREDIBLY slow with that many people fighting over a soda straw of bandwidth....

Though internet speed was better than on other ships I have been on -- it is not fast enough for Skype or games really. I played a little of my favorite game late at night but it was very slow and I think there is not a speaker system on the computers in the icafe. The attendant, John, has to be one of the nicest and most patient men on earth as he explained the same issues over and over and over to some elders with less skills than the youngsters of today. My ability to use an older Samsung tablet in my room 4018 was about the same as on the computers up on 9 -- first time I have ever had internet in an outside cabin. Not fast but fairly reliable and acceptable for checking email and reading the newspaper from home and other activities like that. Facebook worked well, gmail worked better than Verizon.net but both acceptable.

• 1 month later...

I have used Skype many times while sailing on various Oceania ships without any problems. Just be certain you have a strong signal. I had one cabin where the signal was weak and I went to the area near the concierge desk to Skype (I also received a ship board credit because the wi-fi router near my cabin was not working properly). Most of the time I Skype with video from my cabin with no difficulty, but I have "taken" my grand-kids on tour of the pool, lounge, and library.

I have used Skype many times while sailing on various Oceania ships without any problems. Just be certain you have a strong signal. I had one cabin where the signal was weak and I went to the area near the concierge desk to Skype (I also received a ship board credit because the wi-fi router near my cabin was not working properly). Most of the time I Skype with video from my cabin with no difficulty, but I have "taken" my grand-kids on tour of the pool, lounge, and library.

Don't think you have cruised on Oceania recently (last 3-4 years) when it has been almost impossible for folks to use Skype.

Edited by orchestrapal

Best advise, go ashore, find a hotspot with a strong wifi signal, and Skype away. O's system cracks down on bandwidth hogs.

Now if we could only get all the cruisers that want to upload 400 pictures to the cloud, in single setting, to do the same! :mad:

Don't think you have cruised on Oceania recently (last 3-4 years) when it has been almost impossible for folks to use Skype.

I used Skype multiple times on my cruise December 2013 to the Amazon from Miami, and July 2014 to Iceland/Greenland from London. I also used it on my cruises in 2012.

Edited by phillymaps