auto tips and australia

Hawaiidan

Need to get feedback on those Princess ships operated fully in and out of Australia. Will there be the daily service charge of $11.5 a day or will that be written into the fare? As to any charges...if I am solo in a cabin are the charges computed per person?

The same goes with drinks.... will there be an auto tip added or not?

Knowing the Australian custom of not tipping I have been told that all tip like charges are not done on Princess ships out of Australia

What has been your experience?

I recently booked a Princess that's operated out of Brisbane and am un sure what to expect.

I went to Princess because they will book out of the USA. Cruises through Australian agents are priced some 30% higher and include 1.5% surcharge in addition. I can see why Australians try to book out of the US !!! ( a 10 day cruise booked through a Australian agent would cost the same as a 14 day cruise booked in the usa......crazy

Need to get feedback on those Princess ships operated fully in and out of Australia. Will there be the daily service charge of $11.5 a day or will that be written into the fare? As to any charges...if I am solo in a cabin are the charges computed per person?

Knowing the Australian custom of not tipping I have been told that all tip like charges are not done on Princess ships out of Australia

I recently booked a Princess that's operated out of Brisbane and am un sure what to expect.

I went to Princess because they will book out of the USA. Cruises through Australian agents are priced some 30% higher and include 1.5% surcharge in addition. I can see why Australians try to book out of the US !!! ( a 10 day cruise booked through a Australian agent would cost the same as a 14 day cruise booked in the usa......crazy

Drink tips (15%) remain and the auto tip is included in the cost of the fare for Australian bookings only.

"I went to Princess because they will book out of the USA. Cruises through Australian agents are priced some 30% higher and include 1.5% surcharge in addition".

Don't Hal, Celebrity, Oceania etc all book out of the U.S. Why would someone in the U.S. book a cruise through an Australian Agency?

"I went to Princess because they will book out of the USA. Cruises through Australian agents are priced some 30% higher and include 1.5% surcharge in addition".

Don't Hal, Celebrity, Oceania etc all book out of the U.S. Why would someone in the U.S. book a cruise through an Australian Agency?

the OP wanted to book a p&o australia cruise but US agents dont have access to the p&o site so they booked a princess cruise instead

We were on the Dawn Princess in 2012. The tipping rules were different for Australians and NZs and everybody else. Those from down under were not charged an autotip. Everyone else was. I believe it was $10 per day.

There was no tip charged on beverages, it was built into the price. I drink Dewars (Scotch) and water. On US based ships, at the time I was paying $4.95 plus 15% tip or about $5.70 per drink. On the Dawn, the same Drink was $7.60.

On ships operating out of Australia like the Dawn, Sea and Sun Princess the grats are included in the price. Its up to you whether you want to give a tip on top.

I also believe when the Diamond and Golden Princess come down to Australia it will operate the same.

I believe its something to do with the law in Australia.

Also the port charges are included in the price too.

and this is why a lot of australians and nz'ers take the auto tip off when cruising out of usa as we feel paying up to 30% more than americans our cruise price includes the tip.

The Sun P, the Dawn P and the Sea P (when operating out of Australia and using AUD) have the autotip included in the cruise fare FOR AUSTRALIANS. People who book in the USA or UK are still charged the auto tip at the same rate as on other Princess ships. Australians are not charged the 15% gratuity on drinks and I can't see how the bar staff would go to the bother of working out who should be charged the 15% on drinks. As far as I could see, this wasn't charged, but the price on drinks is higher than on other Princess ships.

When auto tips were 'removed' or rolled into the cruise fare from 1st May, 2011, the reason given was that Australians do not feel comfortable with tipping. It is nothing to do with the government or our laws.

By the way, while Sun Princess was operating out of Japan (and on its relocation to Australia from Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago) the on-board currency was US$. Tips were charged during these cruises.

I was on the Diamond last Christmas, between NZ and AUS. I am American and was charged the auto-tip (hotel charge) at the rate of $11.50 a day. All transactions on the ship were in USD. Don't know if this differed for Australians, nor how Americans deal with tipping on P&O.

I was on the Diamond last Christmas, between NZ and AUS. I am American and was charged the auto-tip (hotel charge) at the rate of $11.50 a day. All transactions on the ship were in USD. Don't know if this differed for Australians, nor how Americans deal with tipping on P&O.

the Diamond is a US ship so everyone including the aussie & kiwis would have to pay the auto tip

Cruises through Australian agents are priced some 30% higher and include 1.5% surcharge in addition.

Isn't that 1.5% surcharge a charge for using a credit card?

That is becoming a practice in many parts of the world and not just for cruise fares.

Isn't that 1.5% surcharge a charge for using a credit card? That is becoming a practice in many parts of the world and not just for cruise fares.

Exactly. :) The trader is simply passing on the fee they pay to the credit card company.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Isn't that 1.5% surcharge a charge for using a credit card?

That is becoming a practice in many parts of the world and not just for cruise fares.

this is from princess for aussies & kiwis paying for their cruise with princess

A deposit is required within 3 days of booking your cruise. Note that some special promotions may require different payment conditions. Please refer to promotional Terms & Conditions.

Accepted payment methods for bookings made directly with Princess Cruises include:

Credit/Debit card: (1.5% service fee applies), we accept Visa, Mastercard, AMEX and Diners Club. Please call our Cruise Contact Centre to make payment over the phone

My copy of CRUISING FROM AUSTRALIA & ASIA 2014-2016 provides the following information: bWhat is gratuities (tipping)?Tipping is not required or charged to your onboard account for Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Diamond Princess or Golden Princess cruises departing from and returning to Australia (Golden Princess* and Diamond Princess* commencing 09/29/2015). You are welcome to reward our onboard crew for exceptional service, however, tipping is not required.

For all other Princess Cruise ships, to save you the worry of who to tip and how much, a gratuity will be automatically added to your onboard accountand may be adjusted or removed at your discretion, as follows: USD$12 for suites and mini-suites, and USD$11 for other staterooms, per guest, per day (including children). This charge will be shared among those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others. What is the bar and wine charge? On all Princess Cruises departures except Sun Princess and Dawn Princess departures, or Sea Princess, Diamond Princess and Golden Princess cruises departing from and returning to Australia (Golden Princess and Diamond Princess commencing 08/29/2015), a 15% service charge is shared among the beverage staff and their support team, including cleaners and utility workers.

Pardon the length of the post-I typed out what seemed most relevant in answering your question as I found it on Page 75 of my brochure. HTH.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Edited by crochetcruise
Spelling mistake-blushes in embarrassment

since my cruise sets sail and returns to Australia, even though I booked through a US agent, am I to assume that the 11.5 a day is built into the fare?

Likewise, on the same ship ( the sea princess) that drinks will have built into them the 15% /

If this is so for Australian passengers and we both pay the same fare... then Would I get the added 11.5 a day and 15% of drinks added too?

If not careful that could mean me paying 30% more for drinks and $23.00 a day for cabin/

I do not mind rewarding good and efficient service, but if I am paying a fare that includes the 11.5 a day and they take out another 11.5 a day that is not good. Likewise if a drink has a 15% built into its price it would be greedy to ass another 15% just because of nationality/

Think I will brush up on my oz talk and accent...".righto-0-mate", " fair dinkum, too true". and get and wear a bush hat and talk about playing toad golf....

Seems like there is a potential to rip off non aussies with prices which already were inclisive of tips and service charges......Am I right

I checked and the price I paid was the same in USD and was being charged to forks from OZ !!!!!!!!

Dan

My previous post (post # 9) details what happens (not what is set out in the cruise brochure) regarding tips and 15% drinks surcharge on Princess cruises on Aust-based cruises on the three Australian Princess ships. I base my comment on the experience of many American and British passengers on these ships.

I am not sure why Princess charges overseas people auto tips, unless it is to keep consistent with their other ships. Keep in mind that the stewards on the Aust-based ships are paid at a much higher rate than on the other ships. Their wage brings them to the amount they would expect to receive if they were getting tips.

I don't know if people from USA pay the same amount or less than Australians for an Australian-based cruise, so I can't comment on that.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Its best just to go with the flow over here and you will be right. It is easy to understand the situation better when you are here. I believe some years ago Princess did integrate tips into the fares as too many Australians removed the auto-deductions. Still to this day and age there are Australians who have no idea what "tipping" is.

No matter who you ask you will get a totally different answer. All I can say is that Australia is traditionally a non-tipping country. I did not know what a "tip" was until I was 20 years old. There are some people who don't understand it and may think it is weird or strange for someone to slip them cash. Many Australians do not understand the concept of it so it is best not to ask and to just watch and see how things are done and just go along.

I can guarantee no matter how many Australians respond to questions like this they will all have different answers, ideas and opinions of it.

Its best just to go with the flow over here and you will be right. It is easy to understand the situation better when you are here. I believe some years ago Princess did integrate tips into the fares as too many Australians removed the auto-deductions. Still to this day and age there are Australians who have no idea what "tipping" is.

No matter who you ask you will get a totally different answer. All I can say is that Australia is traditionally a non-tipping country. I did not know what a "tip" was until I was 20 years old. There are some people who don't understand it and may think it is weird or strange for someone to slip them cash. Many Australians do not understand the concept of it so it is best not to ask and to just watch and see how things are done and just go along.

I can guarantee no matter how many Australians respond to questions like this they will all have different answers, ideas and opinions of it.

I agree that tipping is not common in Australia, but the original question was about tipping on the Australian-based ships. There shouldn't be 'different answers, ideas and opinions' - just a report on what happens on these ships.

since the The princess crews are paid a wage equal to that which includes the 11.5 per day charge and That the fare for AUS and USA are the same then I will assume I will not be hit with either the service charge nor a 15% auto gratuity, ( and will assume its already in the price_

Knowing this I will remove and added tip/service from my bill just because I am an American

I am already paying a 100% surcharge for booking single oucc. and going solo.

There is a trick many hotels use like this for room service.... when you order room service in most hotels they tack on a18% service charger.... Then when the waiter delivers your order there is a place to add a tip., which many do forgetting that they already forked over 18%.

The ultimate in tipping happends at a hotel where they had an inservice mini bar,which had an electronic sensor as to what you took out. and charged it directly to your hotel account. The crazy part was that the mini bar fridge added in a tip for its self.....a machine asking for a tip... !!!!

Thanks all I appreciate you candor and opinions...and yes when in rome or in this case OZ....:D:D

Drink tips (15%) remain and the auto tip is included in the cost of the fare for Australian bookings only.

Apologies :o. There is no 15% tip on drinks on Australian cruises. We haven't been on the Sun , Sea or Dawn since the new tip inclusion rule came into force on 1-5-11.Thanks for reminding me Aus traveller.

Edited by Kinkacruiser

The Dawn and Sun operating from Australia do not have auto tips added. I am sailing on the Diamond at Christmas, and at this stage this ship does still have auto-tipping and 15% gratuities. I believe the Diamond will remove auto tipping later in 2015 (perhaps the ship will be going to AUD at that stage?)