Cruise medical crisis on Reflection (our experience)

qualtek

Hoping you have managed to secure your luggage and that you will all soon be able to return home to Canada. When sickness hits there is a comfort in going home to familiar comfortable surrounding. Please keep us posted on dad's progress.

Thoughts and prayers from all corners of the globe, in my case Australia.

OP, came across your thread after you posted a link on the Travel Insurance Forum.

First, thanks for sharing and best wishes to your dad for his speedy recovery. Hopefully you will all be back home soon, if not already.

If you have a chance down the road, please post your insurance filing and payment experiences back on the Insurance Forum thread.

Our prayers are with your family too. It's so good that your parents had cruise insurance, and they seem to have been treated very well by the insurance company. And Celebrity and Embassy Suites also deserve kudos.

But things might have worked out even better had your parents also joined MedjetAssist. For a reasonable annual fee they add evacuation by air medical transport services to the hospital of the member's choice in their home country and other benefits. For us, that would bring us straight home to NY. For your parents, straight to Toronto. [i checked, the basic membership is available to residents of the United States, Canada and Mexico.]

We joined on the basis of solid recommendations from Cruise Critic posters, including their reports of good experiences using the promised benefits. [Thankfully we haven't had occasion to test out the benefits ourselves.]

Once again, we're praying for a complete recovery and a return to cruising!

I purchased an AirMed annual policy for my husband and I this year. $360 for the two of us

Definitely wish your dad a speedy and complete recovery. I totally agree with your comment on the importance of travel insurance. Most people think of travel insurance as cancellation insurance and some choose to self insure. I personally do not worry about cancellation - I can affored to lose a few thousand dollars if I have to cancel. However, I would never think of traveling outside the US without travel insurance which includes good medical coverage (secondary is fine) and most importantly, substantial evacuation coverage. Also, many seniors do not realize that Medicare does not cover anything outside the US and Medicar Supplement Plans have very limited coverage. Medicare Advantage Plans have full coverage outside the US, but this does not take the place of travel insurance. Also, travel insurance coverage can get tricky if you become ill due to a previously existing medical coverage and have not purchased insurance with the waiver. This usually means that you must purchase the insurance within 10 days of INITIAL DEPOSIT and must insure 100% of nonrefundable costs including airfare. which is considered nonrefundable.

Also, travel insurance coverage can get tricky if you become ill due to a previously existing medical coverage and have not purchased insurance with the waiver. This usually means that you must purchase the insurance within 10 days of INITIAL DEPOSIT and must insure 100% of nonrefundable costs including airfare. which is considered nonrefundable.

I never have understood this part of travel insurance. Why MUST you insure airfare when you can get a future flight voucher from the airline? I do realize that one would have to pay a change fee. Is the exchange fee refundable?

We do insure our overseas air, but not the cruises that go to the Caribbean. For instance,we plan to only insure the cost of our cruise for our upcoming cruise in February. We will insure through CSA Luxe because it can be purchased, to include pre-existing conditions, at final payment instead of the initial payment. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

You will not get the waiver for preexisting conditions unless you insure all nonrefundable costs. Airfare is considered nonrefundabe unless you purchase a refundable ticket. If you do not include all nonrefundable costs and submit a claim based on preexisting medical conditions, the insurance company will REFUSE YOUR ENTIRE CLAIM AND WILL NOT PAY ONE PENNY! Most people do not understand travel insurance. I have attended travel insurance seminars and was told by an insurance rep that travel insurance companies look for ways to deny claims. You need to read the policy. The requirements for gettind the preexisting conditions waiver are clearly spelled out!

I never have understood this part of travel insurance. Why MUST you insure airfare when you can get a future flight voucher from the airline? I do realize that one would have to pay a change fee. Is the exchange fee refundable?

We do insure our overseas air, but not the cruises that go to the Caribbean. For instance,we plan to only insure the cost of our cruise for our upcoming cruise in February. We will insure through CSA Luxe because it can be purchased, to include pre-existing conditions, at final payment instead of the initial payment. ;)

Most airlines are non refundable with no future vouchers or at least a change of $100+ and the other benefits I.e. Missed connection, etc.

Most airlines are non refundable with no future vouchers or at least a change of $100+ and the other benefits I.e. Missed connection, etc.

Agree, not sure about most but my return from Europe is absolutely non refundable, no changes, no vouchers, nada!

If the cruise line were to cancel our cruise I would lose every cent of a business class ticket (for 2).

The only way to cover this is with high end Third Party coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will not get the waiver for preexisting conditions unless you insure all nonrefundable costs. Airfare is considered nonrefundabe unless you purchase a refundable ticket. If you do not include all nonrefundable costs and submit a claim based on preexisting medical conditions, the insurance company will REFUSE YOUR ENTIRE CLAIM AND WILL NOT PAY ONE PENNY! Most people do not understand travel insurance. I have attended travel insurance seminars and was told by an insurance rep that travel insurance companies look for ways to deny claims. You need to read the policy. The requirements for gettind the preexisting conditions waiver are clearly spelled out!

Which is why a good Senior Advantage policy, integrated with Medicare, takes care of all the medical expenses anywhere in the world. They don't care about pre-existing conditions since they are our primary health provider.

What we are interested in is medical evacuation. Medicare Senior Advantage covers "fixed wing, rotary wing, and ground ambulance" anywhere in the world for a $100 copay. However, most medical evacuations are pay first/get reimbursed. So, we have purchased an annual AirMed policy for $360 for the two of us. I'll cancel it next year after we finish our planned travel, and start up the monthly charge when we need it again.

Agree, not sure about most but my return from Europe is absolutely non refundable, no changes, no vouchers, nada!

If the cruise line were to cancel our cruise I would lose every cent of a business class ticket (for 2).

The only way to cover this is with high end Third Party coverage.

I've noticed that two of my credit cards have sent me information on their enhanced travel coverage. You might want to see what your credit card has to offer.

pcur, could you point me to the document that specifies that Medicare Senior Advantage provides this:

Medicare Senior Advantage covers "fixed wing, rotary wing, and ground ambulance" anywhere in the world for a $100 copay.

I'm not at all taking issue with what you posted. I'm really interested in knowing about how this works as I've never heard anything about it.

Betsy

pcur, could you point me to the document that specifies that Medicare Senior Advantage provides this:

Medicare Senior Advantage covers "fixed wing, rotary wing, and ground ambulance" anywhere in the world for a $100 copay.

I'm not at all taking issue with what you posted. I'm really interested in knowing about how this works as I've never heard anything about it.

Betsy

Nor have I and this is important info... What insurance company offers this on the supplemental coverage???

I've noticed that two of my credit cards have sent me information on their enhanced travel coverage. You might want to see what your credit card has to offer.

Typically secondary insurance. I don't bother but some might. Lots of fine print.

Betsy

No problem. It's directly from the 2015 (same benefit as 2014) Evidence of Coverage for our Kaiser Senior Advantage insurance we have. It's integrated with Medicare, and we pay $22 a month over our Medicare premiums for it.

5-star CMS rating.

I am one of those people that does her homework: I used to work for Blue Cross. :D:D

I see no mention of Medical Evacuation in my Medicare Advantage Plan. However, even if it was coveredn I am not sure how the upfront cost would be handled and who would make all the arrangements. The advantage with travel insurance is that they make all the arrangements and guarantee payment. Also, if you do get sick in a foreign country, where do you go for treatment? With travel insurance, you just call the worldwide number, and they have people to direct you to the appropriate doctors or hospitals and they speak the local language. NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE WITH APPROPRIATE MEDICAL AND EVACUATION COVERAGE. Cancellation coverage is your choice since it is peanuts compared to the cost of a real medical emergency.

Betsy

Frankly when something seems or sounds too good to be true, then I am very suspicious! Having a hard time believing this one, sorry.

I see no mention of Medical Evacuation in my Medicare Advantage Plan. However, even if it was coveredn I am not sure how the upfront cost would be handled and who would make all the arrangements. The advantage with travel insurance is that they make all the arrangements and guarantee payment. Also, if you do get sick in a foreign country, where do you go for treatment? With travel insurance, you just call the worldwide number, and they have people to direct you to the appropriate doctors or hospitals and they speak the local language. NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE WITH APPROPRIATE MEDICAL AND EVACUATION COVERAGE. Cancellation coverage is your choice since it is peanuts compared to the cost of a real medical emergency.

Look under the ambulance benefit. Mine's on page 50 of my Evidence of Coverage for 2015:

Ambulance benefit.pdf

Frankly when something seems or sounds too good to be true, then I am very suspicious! Having a hard time believing this one, sorry.

See my post just above. I've attached a copy of the ambulance benefits page.

The reason I have AirMed insurance in addition, is so that a medical evacuation is taken care of by them coordinating benefits with Kaiser. Kaiser will pay first, but AirMed will be on the hook to provide the transportation through my policy with them. It's like having double coverage for air evacuation, and not having to pay out the total in advance.

As a back-up we have a high limit credit card with a zero balance that we keep for emergencies only.

To the OP

T&P that your dad is on the mend and on his way home.

I can think of a bunch of reasons -- our main one is

They can have limits on how long they are valid- Usually only a year from the purchase date, not the fly date. If we are booking some of the travel with miles - things are booked early so we have the most choice. Do you know if you will be able to travel again by the use by date? I never know if it is going to be a quick thing or a major thing that cancels a trip. Will I use the same airline if/when we rebook the trip?? Don't know- the schedules change all the time.