Crown Grill and Sabatini Pictorial

GoofyontheHiSeas

My wife and I were on a four day cruise last month on the Golden. I want to thank all of you for providing us with such great information and suggestions. I did a lot of reading prior to sailing. This was our first Princess cruise since being on the old Regal back in 2006. We had a great time scouting out the ship in preparation for our 14 day Med cruise next year. There have been many great reviews of the Golden Princess’ short West Coast cruises so I thought I would share some pictures I took at Crown Grill and Sabatini. We received some onboard credit so we decided to use it to try these specialty restaurants. I enjoy photographing food as well as eating it. We enjoyed each restaurant and plan on utilizing them in the future. Everyone’s taste is different so I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Crown Grill

Mediterranean-Style Spiny Lobster Cake, Tarragon Foam Cured Olives, Grilled Asparagus

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9935-L.jpg

Black Tiger Prawn and Papaya Salpicon Mustard Seed Aioli

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9937-L.jpg

Marinated Goat’s Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Salad

Baby Spinach, Beets, Opal Basil Vinaigrette

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9939-L.jpg

Black and Blue Onion Soup

Fresh Thyme, Jack Daniels, Roquefort Crust

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9940-L.jpg

At this point we were enjoying ourselves a bit too much as I forgot to take a picture of the Filet Mignon and Lobster. The steak was great, the lobster not so much.

On to dessert:

Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession

Rich and Warm with a Soft Center Double Chocolate Ice Cream

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9943-L.jpg

The Executive Pastry Chef’s Sampling

Lemon Meringue Pudding Tart

(Macadamia Nut Shortbread

White Chocolate Tuile)

Seven Layer S’mores Stack

Graham Cracker, Marshmallow

Milk Chocolate)

Milk Chocolate Peanutbutter Bar with Honey Roasted Peanuts

(Chocolate Journeys)

Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession

(Rich and Warm with a Soft Center

Double Chocolate Ice Cream)

Princess%20Catalina%202014-9944-L.jpg

Great photos Roger!!

I don't think non-cruisers could imagine that cruise food could look this good. I have eaten some of these dishes and can vouch for the flavor.

Thank you.

Norris

Sabatini: I have to apologize for these pictures since it was very dark in here and I did not want to disturb other guests with a flash.

Burrata alla Panna con Carpaccio di Pomodori

(hand-formed cow’s milk cheese with creamy lava center on tomato carpaccio, balsamic syrup)

Sabatinis-0009-L.jpg

Mosaico di Verdure Grigliate e Porcini all’ Olio Vergine d’Oliva

(porcini mushrooms, roasted garlic, grilled zucchini and eggplant drizzled with our own extra virgin olive oil)

Sabatinis-0012-L.jpgInsalata di Gamberi, Finocchi e Cannellini

(marinated shrimp, shaved fennel and white beans, white truffle oil)

Sabatinis-0013-L.jpgSformato di Carciofi Gratinati al Castelrosso

(twice baked artichoke soufflé, castelrosso cheese sauce)

Sabatinis-0015-L.jpg

Penne con Brasato di Manzo

(braised short rib over penne, grana padano)

Sabatinis-0016-L.jpg

Manicotti alla Sorrentina (spinach, ricotta & fontina cheese roulade on tomato coulis)

Sabatinis-0017-L.jpg

Gamberi alla Caprese con Verdurine di Stagione

(garlic infused shrimp with cherry tomatoes and potpourri of vegetables)

Sabatinis-0019-L.jpg

Tris d’Aragosta

(lobster three ways - lobster tail, lobster orzotto and lobster bisque sauce)

Sabatinis-0022-L.jpg

Torta Profumata ai Limoni di Sorrento

(citrus tart and chocolate ribbon with orange and balsamico essence)

Sabatinis-0024-L.jpg

Crema al Caffe

(espresso crème brulee and star anise biscotti with armagnac foam)

Sabatinis-0026-L.jpg

Tiramisu al Cioccolato

(chocolate tiramisu with mascarpone cream and expresso gelato)

*Chocolate Journeys*

Sabatinis-0027-L.jpg

Yet MORE information about what to expect on the cruise! Great help, and actually SEEING the selections (those shrimp look VERY moreish, will make it easier to choose what to have!

Thank you for your time and trouble. I have limited eyesight-only 10% vision which is Legal Blindness here in Australia, and had no trouble clearly seeing the photos taken without the flash.

A polite question, I'm not a big eater-2 or 3 courses is usually my limit, so is it possible to choose between courses? A friend suggested asking for entrée portion size as I have a small appetite.

Crochetcruise :cool::cool:

Fantastic pictures! It makes me even more excited about our upcoming December cruise on the Island Princess. It has been several years since we cruised on a Princess ship. We will definitely plan to eat at both restaurants.

What type of camera did you use?

Yet MORE information about what to expect on the cruise! Great help, and actually SEEING the selections (those shrimp look VERY moreish, will make it easier to choose what to have!

Thank you for your time and trouble. I have limited eyesight-only 10% vision which is Legal Blindness here in Australia, and had no trouble clearly seeing the photos taken without the flash.

A polite question, I'm not a big eater-2 or 3 courses is usually my limit, so is it possible to choose between courses? A friend suggested asking for entrée portion size as I have a small appetite.

Crochetcruise :cool::cool:

At any eating venue on the ship including Sabatini's you can order whatever you want in the quantity you desire. So order as many or as little as you desire and have a good time.

One cruise in the MDR I ordered an entree that turned out terrible to me. The waiter overheard my comments, took the dish away and brought me another choice on his own initiative so if you get something you don't like, send it back and order something else.

Great photos! One of the worst side effects of camera phones and social media is that everyone thinks that they are a professional food photographer and 99% of all food pics make the food look less appetizing than it really is. Taking great (or even good) food photos is really hard (to the point where many professional photo shoots use fake food to stand in for the real thing). But you, sir, have the talent. Keep up the good work.

P.S. What focal length lens are you using? The composition and depth of field are terrific.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Thank you all very much for the kind comments.

What type of camera did you use?

These were taken with a Nikon D4 but any recent DSLR could have taken these.

Great photos! One of the worst side effects of camera phones and social media is that everyone thinks that they are a professional food photographer and 99% of all food pics make the food look less appetizing than it really is. Taking great (or even good) food photos is really hard (to the point where many professional photo shoots use fake food to stand in for the real thing). But you, sir, have the talent. Keep up the good work.

P.S. What focal length lens are you using? The composition and depth of field are terrific.

Thank you Jimmy. I do enjoy shooting food. These were shot with a 24-70 and I like to shoot at around f/6.3-9 but it all depends on the lighting and desired effect.