Getting diamonds reset -- would you share your experience please?

CowPrincess

When I started my post (39), I had a point besides showing off my jewelry. ;)

My ring was made of "old gold"; I had some earrings, thin chains, and the gold from the brooch the diamonds came from. We had a hard time finding a jeweler who would use the old gold but we found one in a very unlikely place.

Hahaha :D I can hear my dear grandma saying "Penny wise and pound foolish" .... and it isn't the workmanship cost I'm concerned about; it is all the gold I'll need if I can't re-use what I own :D

Just thought you may like an excuse for a jaunt:D:D:D

I can't see why your own gold can't be used. My DD had a a fair amount of gold from the family which a local jeweller/goldsmith made into a bangle for her. The gold was a mix of different carats (14/18/22) so best as I recall, they weren't able to hallmark the bangle.

When I started my post (39), I had a point besides showing off my jewelry. ;)

My ring was made of "old gold"; I had some earrings, thin chains, and the gold from the brooch the diamonds came from. We had a hard time finding a jeweler who would use the old gold but we found one in a very unlikely place.

RobinAnn, thanks! How "unlikely" was the place you found to do it? I was warned many years ago by a jeweller to let only someone I knew to be 100% trustworthy touch 2 of these diamonds.

Just thought you may like an excuse for a jaunt:D:D:D

I can't see why your own gold can't be used. My DD had a a fair amount of gold from the family which a local jeweller/goldsmith made into a bangle for her. The gold was a mix of different carats (14/18/22) so best as I recall, they weren't able to hallmark the bangle.

Thanks chrispb. The more I hear of this being able to be done, the more I want that as my solution :D

for $2,100.......the only thing they would do is upgraded..for $2,100 more..Diamond was not the Crown of light....as told by 2 diff jewelers, without knowing what the problem was....was an old rose cut.....diamond was set totally crooked.....as the readily agreed!!..the CD picked it up for her, as she was on a tour, and had time allocated otherwise...buyer beware!..another bought diamond er's surrounded by smaller. At a GOOD price, at DI.....she took them to be valued for insurance....another gal was TOOK...as they would only insure for 1/2 of purchased price.

Thanks chrispb. The more I hear of this being able to be done, the more I want that as my solution :D

If you end up being able to do this, I'd love to see how it turns out, I've got quite a few gold necklaces & bracelets, mostly from the early 80's (yes, I had a pendant with my name in gold cursive letters :eek: )

I'd love to do something with the old gold.

If you end up being able to do this, I'd love to see how it turns out, I've got quite a few gold necklaces & bracelets, mostly from the early 80's (yes, I had a pendant with my name in gold cursive letters :eek: )

I will definitely report back, both after I meet with my preferred jeweller and then (if she can't/won't do it) my 2nd choice. And once the item is fabricated, as well. There's been no "forward motion" on this yet, and likely won't be for a while, until our weather improves, and road conditions improve. But I will definitely report back :)

Just about every city of any size has places that will buy gold jewelry. They pay you by the gram. You get the cash and make whatever piece of jewelry you want...... or not. :)

When gold was crazy high a few years ago, my late DH took some of our 'old gold' such as one earring, one cufflink, a bracelet I never liked or wore etc. The jeweler weighed it and gave him the cash. One earring was doing me no good....... :D

Just about every city of any size has places that will buy gold jewelry. They pay you by the gram. You get the cash and make whatever piece of jewelry you want...... or not. :)

When gold was crazy high a few years ago, my late DH took some of our 'old gold' such as one earring, one cufflink, a bracelet I never liked or wore etc. The jeweler weighed it and gave him the cash. One earring was doing me no good....... :D

I know I should be doing this, all those old necklaces are just sitting in a tangled pile in a zip lock bag... I think I might weigh them.

I know I should be doing this, all those old necklaces are just sitting in a tangled pile in a zip lock bag... I think I might weigh them.

Back in 2011 (I think that is when I did it) I sold off some gold on ebay. Have NEVER had anything sell on ebay as quickly as my 3 little lots of scrap gold :D The "sold" notifications came in faster than the "Your item has been listed" notifications.

Made enough to move from a oceanview to a balcony on my next cruise :eek: :D

If I end up having to sell off my current little stockpile of gold (instead of re-using it), I'll be checking ebay's prices in comparison to what the jeweler can give me. There's also an online site (I can't remember the name, it is not one of the well-known ones) that was paying gold value less 10% IIRC. I will check with them too.

Edited by CowPrincess

I sold off some of my old gold stuff last year to help pay the mortgage for the 3 months I was unemployed. Just how many gold necklaces did I need to wear with my various pendants? Next time I'm unemployed, it'll have to be plasma donation...;)

My wedding and engagement rings became too tight (from housework not weight gain) so that I could not remove them without using soap. I became concerned that if I went to the city and someone tried to rob me they might cut off or injure my finger. In addition, the band was becoming thin. I took them to a local jeweler. He showed me his designs. I chose one which he cast in wax to make sure it was right. It is a wide rather than narrow band. The large stone is in the middle with pave diamonds at an angle on one side and curved on the other side. It is a rather contemporary look. This was done over 25 years ago. I still get complements on the ring. I've never seen another one like it.

I inherited my mom's engagement ring. Didn't know what to do with it. After 2 yrs I went to a jeweler who appraised it and set it to wear as a charm on a necklace. It sparkles like fire and everyone comments on it. On my neck it is not exposed to creams and soaps, so it stays clean. I also had my engagement ring set with triangular shape diamond on either side that never stayed clean, I switch the setting and am so much happier. Get whatever makes you want to wear the diamonds more!

Edited by Emmysmomma9

• 3 months later...

An interim update -- finally got to talk to the jeweler/goldsmith and she will use my old gold :D Right now she is using some of my old gold to make a new ring for me. Then on to the bracelet.... I have to be certain I have collected ALL the gold and diamonds I want to re-use before we start on the bracelet. I'd be very upset if a year or two from now I found more that should have been incorporated.

So glad you were able to use your old gold; that will make the finished product even more precious to you. Please continue to keep us posted; I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pieces.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Before my mom passed away she gave me the ring my dad bought her at an estate sale for their 25th anniversary. It was a very old fashioned setting with 2 matching diamonds cut in the 1800"s. She had already designated some pieces to her DIL and granddaughters. She asked me to give one diamond from her anniversary ring to each of my son's when they got engaged. It has been a delight to see my mom's diamond in a pretty new setting on my own sweet DIL's finger!

Before my mom passed away she gave me the ring my dad bought her at an estate sale for their 25th anniversary. It was a very old fashioned setting with 2 matching diamonds cut in the 1800"s. She had already designated some pieces to her DIL and granddaughters. She asked me to give one diamond from her anniversary ring to each of my son's when they got engaged. It has been a delight to see my mom's diamond in a pretty new setting on my own sweet DIL's finger!

That is a lovely idea. Absolutely lovely!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy I found this thread. It brought many emotions to mind.

I inherited various beautiful pieces from my grandmother and for years they sat in my safe deposit box. One of my favorites was a beautiful set of emerald earrings with a matching bracelet. I loved the earrings but didn't particularly like the bracelet. I had thought of having it reset however always felt guilty. Approximately two years ago I had the emeralds & diamonds on the bracelet reset to a beautiful necklace, and kept the earrings as is. The necklace is much more my style and every time I wear it I "feel" my grandmother near me. I finally came to grips with the fact she isn't upset I changed the original design.

Regarding the mention of another poster and her silver and two daughters:

I have two sons and no daughter. During the Christmas break I was polishing the silver and mentioned to them it would one day be theirs..... the response, how much is it worth?? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the diamonds from an old 4ct eternity band combined with some additional diamonds to make a 5ct diamond cluster cocktail ring. I love it and I'm so glad I gave those diamonds new life, I'm much more attached to the new ring than I was to the old ring. Jewelry is meant to be worn and loved!

Edited by ExpatBride

bothluv2cruise and ExpatBride, thank you for sharing your experiences :)

I have found all the old gold jewelry. Took a while, omg. In the meantime, though, I have started selling some of my other vintage jewelry (non-sentimental) and am very surprised at how much some people truly treasure the older stuff. And how they want the stories associated with it. Now I am rethinking this, and may try selling some of the "sentimental" stuff instead of remaking it. That way, the item will continue on, with a new owner, who knows some of the history.

I'm cruising in a few weeks, so am not making any decision right now. I will for certain be resetting Grandma's earrings and my mother's wedding rings for my own use. I am quite stuck about my late DH's wedding band.

In the meantime, though, I have started selling some of my other vintage jewelry (non-sentimental) and am very surprised at how much some people truly treasure the older stuff. And how they want the stories associated with it.

I'm one of these people! I collect fine jewelry from the 20s through the 60s. I have a jeweler in London who does beautiful bespoke work, but who also deals in antique jewelry, and I travel over a few times a year to see what they have. I just got back from buying the Art Deco ring in my avatar.

A lot of the pieces come from auction, but my favorites are the ones that come with the backstory. For me, it's like owning a piece of art and history.

These pieces are becoming more and more rare because people are breaking them up and resetting them. I understand why they do it, but it makes me a little bit sad to think of my lovely pieces broken up and reset into modern pieces.

Selling your pieces on to someone like me would be a lovely thing to do. I know they're special to you, and they will be very special to their new owners, especially since they'll know the history of them.

Selling your pieces on to someone like me would be a lovely thing to do. I know they're special to you, and they will be very special to their new owners, especially since they'll know the history of them.

ExpatBride, thank you for that :D Your words are resonating with me. I'm leaning more and more toward selling some pieces. :)