vegetarians/dining

singelsethc

I just wanted to comment for others who may be in same boat I am. I just got back from Getaway out of Miami. more options than Carnival, but hated the food. hurray for meat lovers out there, but that's your choice. norwegian didn't make a lot of accomodations for me, and healthy options seemed limited. you can eat salad every night, and a banana. but that's bound to get old. Vegetarian items were not marked. Many vegetable dishes - and I mean something that should be simple like broccoli side, had beef or something in sauce. Minestrone soup, if there even was a possible vegetable option - chicken stock. It could very easily have been made without to please both but no attempt to do so. I asked about a soup from a crew member, and she said yes vegetable it's vegetarian, but when I further questioned her and said "no meat?" she said let me check first, as if that was some magical phrase. but what bothers me is vegetable and vegetarian were both the same to her and she was going to misinform me, so to hell with you if you make this choice. grill cook making hot dogs and flipping burgers while he's making my vegetable burger. needless to say I didn't bother with that again. disappointed. most of what I had to eat was sides no main dishes. no tofu. at asian bar you can have something stir fried vegetables only, some gloop that may be spicy on Indian side. I ended up going to kids section a lot, just to get some macaroni and cheese and seeing what pasta they have. that's really pathetic. I actually feel there was more for me on Carnival. I cant even be sure I didn't eat something that they decided to sneak some chicken bouillon or something in there, because nothing is marked otherwise and staff can't understand English well enough or are trained to distinguish anything like that. If you are a diabetic I hope you don't go into shock, because you are on your own:eek:

Question - Did you mark off on your booking that your Vegetarian / Vegan and did you call the special events or spoke to the Maitre'd of the MDR(s) that you can't eat meat so they can make a special dish for you? That also helps for the Kosher, diabetics and low sodium / sugar diet people as well.

Since your Lacto Vegetarian due to eating Mac & Cheese, did you see if they had dairy products to supplement your choices in the buffet? Just curious....and no offense, why would you eat at the buffet that doesn't list out the ingredients in a meal (I know Carnival doesn't; had to guess if that's chicken stock in Aloo Gobi because it definitely taste like powdered chicken broth).

they did know I was vegetarian. actually I've eaten in dining room before, but we like variety upstairs and that style seems to work for us. more options.

lacto-ovo, yes. well as far as dairy options, there was. but there was more potato and pasta items instead of vegetable. I ask if I'm not sure, but I just felt pissed off that they made it so hard. I think you're probably right that dining room is best choice, but I just can't help but feel annoyed that it has to be like that. Ive cruised and aside from yes Carnival and this, it was always indicated. This was my first cruise on NCL, so it was a trial by fire

I sympathize with restaurants at sea and ashore these days. They put menus together, but there seems to be so many people with different needs nowadays.

Vegetarians, Vegans, Diabetics, Lactose free, Gluten Free, Salt Free, Nut allergies, the list goes on.

How people managed 30/40 years ago I have no idea. To be honest I think if folk are not able or don't want to eat what's on offer, the onus should be on them to discuss their options with the Maitre'd, and where possible discuss with NCL prior to the cruise.

The buffet should be quick moving, and making special requests or standing there discussing ingredients just slows the service.

No offence meant, but maybe a lesson for anyone with special dietary needs to talk before you book/board.

I sympathize with restaurants at sea and ashore these days. They put menus together, but there seems to be so many people with different needs nowadays.

Vegetarians, Vegans, Diabetics, Lactose free, Gluten Free, Salt Free, Nut allergies, the list goes on.

How people managed 30/40 years ago I have no idea. To be honest I think if folk are not able or don't want to eat what's on offer, the onus should be on them to discuss their options with the Maitre'd, and where possible discuss with NCL prior to the cruise.

The buffet should be quick moving, and making special requests or standing there discussing ingredients just slows the service.

No offence meant, but maybe a lesson for anyone with special dietary needs to talk before you book/board.

You,sir, are a fountain of knowledge:)

they did know I was vegetarian. actually I've eaten in dining room before, but we like variety upstairs and that style seems to work for us. more options.

lacto-ovo, yes. well as far as dairy options, there was. but there was more potato and pasta items instead of vegetable. I ask if I'm not sure, but I just felt pissed off that they made it so hard. I think you're probably right that dining room is best choice, but I just can't help but feel annoyed that it has to be like that. Ive cruised and aside from yes Carnival and this, it was always indicated. This was my first cruise on NCL, so it was a trial by fire

Unless you're a strict vegan that can't have yeast in their bread which you're not because you eating pasta that made was probably made out of animal shortening (and most commercial pasta are). You're Lacto-ovo, that means you can have eggs, milk, butter(dairy product), mayo(egg product), legumes, cheese, the different types of breads that is offered in buffet including croissants, ice cream, french fries, mozzarella sticks; archichoke dip, desserts like bread pudding and chocolate cake; pasta; on top of different lettuce and raw spinach choices, salad toppings, Indian vegetarian choices, cole slaw, potato salad, baked potato, and whatever other vegetarian choices there are in the buffet. Some of food options I listed can be found at O'sheenan bar and grill. No offense, the cruise line didn't make it hard, you limited yourself when you decide to get all picky at a buffet - vegetarians (or anyone else for that matter) can't be all that selective when they're 'starving'.

Pretty much this - the buffet is for quick bite to eat; you want something specially made for you then expect to wait for a while or go to MDR where they can make it more quickly or O'sheenan where the food is fried in vegetable oil.

Edit: Regarding Carnival listing what's in the food; not on the ship I was on most of the time; there's was this grits with sausage and onions that didn't say non-vegetarian or meat product (Forgot the name of the food). But it was delicious. The only vegetarian items during dinner buffet was one item, usually green string beans with almonds and salad topping with lettuce. The only other vegetarian choices were open during lunch time; Indian food and Stir Fry and they were usually crowded and of course, not open for dinner.

Edited by maywell

I just wanted to comment for others who may be in same boat I am. I just got back from Getaway out of Miami. more options than Carnival, but hated the food. hurray for meat lovers out there, but that's your choice. norwegian didn't make a lot of accomodations for me, and healthy options seemed limited. you can eat salad every night, and a banana. but that's bound to get old. Vegetarian items were not marked. Many vegetable dishes - and I mean something that should be simple like broccoli side, had beef or something in sauce. Minestrone soup, if there even was a possible vegetable option - chicken stock. It could very easily have been made without to please both but no attempt to do so. I asked about a soup from a crew member, and she said yes vegetable it's vegetarian, but when I further questioned her and said "no meat?" she said let me check first, as if that was some magical phrase. but what bothers me is vegetable and vegetarian were both the same to her and she was going to misinform me, so to hell with you if you make this choice. grill cook making hot dogs and flipping burgers while he's making my vegetable burger. needless to say I didn't bother with that again. disappointed. most of what I had to eat was sides no main dishes. no tofu. at asian bar you can have something stir fried vegetables only, some gloop that may be spicy on Indian side. I ended up going to kids section a lot, just to get some macaroni and cheese and seeing what pasta they have. that's really pathetic. I actually feel there was more for me on Carnival. I cant even be sure I didn't eat something that they decided to sneak some chicken bouillon or something in there, because nothing is marked otherwise and staff can't understand English well enough or are trained to distinguish anything like that. If you are a diabetic I hope you don't go into shock, because you are on your own:eek:

I totally agree about labeling the vegetarian options on the buffet. A simple "V" on the display card would solve a lot of confusion.

A lot of people don't know this, but If you ask one of the Maitre'ds or food service officers that are always in the buffet area, they can make you a batch of anything you want on the buffet without meat. So, if the vegetables you see have bacon in them, or the stir fry has meat, they will make you a fresh plate without it. We sailed on the Getaway two weeks ago as well, and a friend of mine was having the same issues as you were. She spoke with the head of food service at the meet and greet and this is what he told her to do. It worked, but if does take a little while to prepare the items, so it may not be a quick in/quick out buffet experience.

You should never have to go hungry on a cruise because of dietary restrictions, you just need to ask one of the higher ups (not a general buffet worker) and they will accommodate you every time.

Hope this helps for your next cruise.

You should never have to go hungry on a cruise because of dietary restrictions, you just need to ask one of the higher ups (not a general buffet worker) and they will accommodate you every time.

This has been our experience as well...

Vegetarian or vegan? You need to talk with the right people. They can manage to help but they need to know you are there.

You wouldn't eat the 'burger' patty because the cook used utensils that touched other food? Well darn, that does make it real tough to accommodate your special needs. It is difficult to believe that they are being sneaky as they are doing their jobs but it isn't difficult to believe that they might get a bit frustrated.

Edited by luddite

Question to the OP: Did I understand you to say that since the grill cook was cooking hot dogs and burgers at the same time he was as grilling your veggie patty, you decided not to return to the grill again?

I am not the OP but the reason is that the grill was "contaminated" with the fat and juice of the meat.

I have been a veg. for over 40 yrs. and I do find it easier on cruise ships nowadays.........but still frustrating sometimes....you have to ask, ask, ask is this made with any animal stock etc.

I find the best person to ask on the buffet is an East Indian on the line, they understand:D

well what is problem is not that he was cooking other things while he's preparing mine, it was that he's using same spatula for everything, so the grease from hamburger is all over my veggie burger. I've had veggie burger many other places without any problems, they make accomodation and prepare it separately. on princess they used a pan to keep it off the grill. I brought issue up to supervisor at that station and he told guy and he was supposedly going to make me another one, but he decided to put hot dogs all over the side grill that he had just put my veggie patty on, so I wasn't going to do that. the supervisor was working other areas. it was the spatula, and what seemed a lack of protocol for how it was to be prepared and general situation.

Vegetarian or vegan? You need to talk with the right people. They can manage to help but they need to know you are there.

You wouldn't eat the 'burger' patty because the cook used utensils that touched other food? Well darn, that does make it real tough to accommodate your special needs. It is difficult to believe that they are being sneaky as they are doing their jobs but it isn't difficult to believe that they might get a bit frustrated.

It is not so "tough" utensils can be changed in the blink of an eye;)..I have had a stir fry cook go back in the kitchen to get me a clean pan for my meal.............at the buffet, on Celebrity.

As with any special food needs, you need to be proactive. Dd11 has Celiac, so we had to have meals ordered for her, ahead of time. If she wanted gluten free food in the buffet, we either had to make arrangements ahead of time, or just choose food that is naturally gluten free, and asking questions if we were unsure (especially regarding seasoning).

All specially prepared food is prepared in a safe kitchen, so you don't have to worry about cross contamination.

I think the crew is trained in situations of allergies. As far as situations like this where it is a personal preference and there is no risk of the passenger keeling over dead, they probably don't appreciate the seriousness of keeping things uncontaminated.

I'm not trying to make things harder for them, and since I did tell them I was a vegetarian I don't see how it's a sabotage. this isn't rocket science. they should know better. if I wanted to eat the grease and fat from the hamburger why not just order the burger..which is essentially what's happening if they put the spatula on hamburger and then flip my veggie burger. if that's such an inconvenience and frustration for him, then so be it. but it IS his job.

We have several family members who are on specialized diets - either by choice or due to actual allergies and I understand and do my best to accommodate them in my home for the occasional family get together. All organic, even down to the oil that the food is cooked in? Check. Vegan? Now what type of Vegan? - is it meat, meat and all dairy, or maybe milk is OK? Lactose intolerant? No soy? Only soy? Can't or won't eat gluten? No food from CANS? Why certainly I can accommodate all of that. It's one meal right? Now if I miss a step, and the canola oil is not organic, will you die or just be annoyed? If I had to satisfy those requests in a commercial setting for a minimum of 3 meals a day, for a very small percentage of passengers, I would be pulling my hair out.

I know that this may come off as disrespectful to OP. I can see that they are as frustrated as those of us with the burden of accommodating them.

I will continue to do everything in my power to welcome my dietary specific loved ones into my home, and OP will just have to continue to incorporate his limited dietary decisions into a mass market vacation destination. Or not - I understand that "staycations" can be very relaxing.

I totally agree about labeling the vegetarian options on the buffet. A simple "V" on the display card would solve a lot of confusion.

A lot of people don't know this, but If you ask one of the Maitre'ds or food service officers that are always in the buffet area, they can make you a batch of anything you want on the buffet without meat. So, if the vegetables you see have bacon in them, or the stir fry has meat, they will make you a fresh plate without it. We sailed on the Getaway two weeks ago as well, and a friend of mine was having the same issues as you were. She spoke with the head of food service at the meet and greet and this is what he told her to do. It worked, but if does take a little while to prepare the items, so it may not be a quick in/quick out buffet experience.

it does. this was actually my first time on Norwegian, I wasnt prepared. we've done Royal and other cruised quite a bit, but it was mostly on ships where eating in buffet wasn't an issue, and items were marked with that "V". green beans doesn't really help if they decided to garnish it with bacon bits, it just seemed unnecessary and going without then someone like me could have had it. it just became frustrating. I've done both dining room and buffet, and buffet is convenient and always more to eat, so we go there. And have more time for evening activities

We have several family members who are on specialized diets - either by choice or due to actual allergies and I understand and do my best to accommodate them in my home for the occasional family get together. All organic, even down to the oil that the food is cooked in? Check. Vegan? Now what type of Vegan? - is it meat, meat and all dairy, or maybe milk is OK? Lactose intolerant? No soy? Only soy? Can't or won't eat gluten? No food from CANS? Why certainly I can accommodate all of that. It's one meal right? Now if I miss a step, and the canola oil is not organic, will you die or just be annoyed? If I had to satisfy those requests in a commercial setting for a minimum of 3 meals a day, for a very small percentage of passengers, I would be pulling my hair out.

I know that this may come off as disrespectful to OP. I can see that they are as frustrated as those of us with the burden of accommodating them.

I will continue to do everything in my power to welcome my dietary specific loved ones into my home, and OP will just have to continue to incorporate his limited dietary decisions into a mass market vacation destination. Or not - I understand that "staycations" can be very relaxing.

Stay at home???? Wow, very understanding:rolleyes:

NCL used to have a small area on the buffet that was all veg. It was wonderful.

I have worked in many kitchens, large and small as a chef, and it is your job and duty to take care of ALL of your customers. It is not a "burden".

I'm not trying to make things harder for them, and since I did tell them I was a vegetarian I don't see how it's a sabotage. this isn't rocket science. they should know better. if I wanted to eat the grease and fat from the hamburger why not just order the burger..which is essentially what's happening if they put the spatula on hamburger and then flip my veggie burger. if that's such an inconvenience and frustration for him, then so be it. but it IS his job.

Maybe I've worked too long with strict vegan that doesn't bread with yeast, lactose intolerant, shellfish allergies, Muslims and strict observant Hasidic Jew, and a diabetic that can't eat red meat and stuff with acid like tomatoes; so you know getting catering lunch / making reservations for those people is not easy. So unless you have serious problems that can kill you or send you to your religion's version of damnation; you have to be proactive with speaking to the food management and/or expand your food palate.

Question: Why would have your veggie burger cooking on the same grill that also has hot dogs and beef burgers grilling too? The whole grill is contaminate with the fats and juices of meat, not just the spatula. Just because the veggie burger was cooking in a area that look meat-free doesn't mean meat wasn't cooking there before....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

it does. this was actually my first time on Norwegian, I wasnt prepared. we've done Royal and other cruised quite a bit, but it was mostly on ships where eating in buffet wasn't an issue, and items were marked with that "V". green beans doesn't really help if they decided to garnish it with bacon bits, it just seemed unnecessary and going without then someone like me could have had it. it just became frustrating. I've done both dining room and buffet, and buffet is convenient and always more to eat, so we go there. And have more time for evening activities

Don`t you just love it when they put meat in almost everything:mad: salads, mac and cheese, vegetables.........as if there is not enough everywhere else.

Maybe I've worked too long with strict vegan that doesn't bread with yeast, lactose intolerant, shellfish allergies, Muslims and strict observant Hasidic Jew, and a diabetic that can't eat red meat and stuff with acid like tomatoes; so you know getting catering lunch / making reservations for those people is not easy. So unless you have serious problems that can kill you or send you to your religion's version of damnation; you have to be proactive with speaking to the food management and/or expand your food palate.

Question: Why would have your veggie burger cooking on the same grill that also has hot dogs and beef burgers grilling too? The whole grill is contaminate with the fats and juices of meat, not just the spatula. Just because the veggie burger was cooking in a area that look meat-free doesn't mean meat wasn't cooking there before....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

If I want to eat at the grill I ask if it could be cooked on a pan or tin foil.....No biggie for them.