First cruise EVER!! Royal C. question.

I'm soooo excited. whew, never going to make it until May. :)

Anyway, just booked our first ever cruise. We were supposed to go next year but our doggie needed surgery and I am sooo a pet mom.;)

so I'm all booked on RC Oasis of the Seas doing the Eastern Caribbean on May 30th. Got a jr. suite.

Did I mention, I'm really excited. :D

Question: where do I book restaurants and shows. I've been playing on RC's website and either my coffee hasn't kicked in yet or I'm really confused.

could some one push me in the right direction??

TIA

Dancing over the moon, Camp

P.S. what's a "meet and mingle"?

Edited by camptalcott

Anyway, just booked our first ever cruise. We were supposed to go next year but our doggie needed surgery and I am sooo a pet mom.;)

so I'm all booked on RC Oasis of the Seas doing the Eastern Caribbean on May 30th. Got a jr. suite.

Question: where do I book restaurants and shows. I've been playing on RC's website and either my coffee hasn't kicked in yet or I'm really confused.

TIA

The new Dynamic Dinning does not open for booking on Oasis until Jan 1, 2015. The entertainment usually does not open up for 180 prior to sailing, so if it's not loaded yet, just keep looking.

You picked a great ship for your first royal cruise!

Here is a review I did on the Oasis last Fall: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942611

A meet and mingle is an icebreaker event put on by the cruise line that gives you the opportunity to connect with other cruisers. If you go to the Roll Call forum and find the one for your cruise, you'll be able to get to know some of the people you'd meet at that event.

Meet-N-Mingle Is a Party / get together put on by RCCL where they have a private room for all the people on CC who signed up for the party to meet each other who you have been chatting with online pre-cruise. They will have an invitation in your cabin for you to fill out with the place and time which has a name badge and an entry form for a door prize. Show up a few minutes early and meet your CC friends enjoy some snacks, coffee, water, juice, pastries etc. you will get a gift just for showing up they will raffle off door prizes like internet pkg., bottle of wine, RCCL LOGO stuff, and other. Some parties are just so so and some are fantastic. It all depends on your group and your RCCL activity Staff. We had a good group a couple weeks ago on Freedom and along with a huge crowd we also had many activities planned. We had a Cake for a Honey moon couple, T-Shirts for the Cruise, Wine Crawl/Cabin Crawl, Custom imprint Wine Glasses, and Poker Run. It is all what you make it.

I recommend doing the roll call and then the meet and mingle , cabin crawl is fun and you get to see what the cabins you didn't book look like.

check. Oh that does sound like fun.

One more question. I know some of the restaurants have additional charges but a few are included with the price of the vacation.

Are reservations required with all the dining. Or is there opportunity to simply "wing it".

for example, if I don't make dinner reservations because I'm lying around the pool like a sea lion :D is there opportunity to grab a light meal some where or is it better to have reservations every night?

Edited by camptalcott

check. Oh that does sound like fun.

One more question. I know some of the restaurants have additional charges but a few are included with the price of the vacation.

Are reservations required with all the dining. Or is there opportunity to simply "wing it".

for example, if I don't make dinner reservations because I'm lying around the pool like a sea lion :D is there opportunity to grab a light meal some where or is it better to have reservations every night?

There are several free venues around the ship for snacks/light meals - from hot dogs to pizza to Panini's and sandwiches. There's also the Windjammer (a buffet restaurant) that offers a wide range of food choices from breakfast through dinner, and room service available 24/7 (small service charge after midnight). One thing for sure, you won't go hungry:)

Congratulations on booking you first cruise - you will absolutely love it.

Am also a former southern Jerseyite moving from Essex county to Ocean county (although if you're from the Philly area - south Jersey is from Atlantic City to Cape May).

My first cruise with RCL was also on the Oasis in a JS, which was upgraded to a GS with a promotion at the cost of a land based excursion.

Best decision ever.

By being a GS holder you get a Gold Card, which gives you access to the CL and (currently) 3 drink vouchers put on your sea pass card for use in any bars during the 3 1/2 hours the CL is open, plus unlimited drinks in the CL for that time frame.

Means buying a drink package is not really necessary.

Entertainment is great on the Oasis and your Gold Card means that you will have reserved seating, so making reservations becomes a moot point.

There are other perks also - look on RCL's website.

Check prices on website until final payment and keep a look out for the e-mail they will send regarding upgrade.

After we boarded the Oasis somehow we wound up on deck 8 (Central Park ) and had lunch at the Park Café, eating a roast beef sandwich that tasted so good we found ourselves booking another cruise on the Oasis while we were on board.

That turned out to be one expensive sandwich - which was FREE by the way - LOL.

You will have so much to do and fun doing it as you try to see everything on the ship and doing the land excursions that you will surely make as a first-timer.

When you get home you'll need a vacation to recuperate and probably wind up being hooked on cruising.

At least I was as I count the 22 cruises I've been on in the last 2 1/2 years - LOL

Best advise - go at your own pace and enjoy yourself - just like all the other like minded cruisers on the ship. No one has ever spent good money to have a bad time - time to get excited (wink,wink).

The new Dynamic Dinning does not open for booking on Oasis until Jan 1, 2015. The entertainment usually does not open up for 180 prior to sailing, so if it's not loaded yet, just keep looking.

You picked a great ship for your first royal cruise!

Here is a review I did on the Oasis last Fall: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942611

Thanks Mike,

Very much enjoying this review and the pictures. May I ask, what is a "diamond club"

C

Edited by camptalcott

Thanks Mike,

Very much enjoying this review and the pictures. May I ask, what is a "diamond club"

C

Diamond Club (same as Diamond Lounge) is a venue restricted to Diamond level and above Crown & Anchor (Royal's loyalty organization) members. Diamond level is attained with 80 nights at sea, or 40 nights if in a suite.

The lounge offers free drinks and snacks in the evening, continental breakfast in the morning, and 24 hour free specialty coffee.

Edited by clarea

I've been playing on RC's website and either my coffee hasn't kicked in yet or I'm really confused.

TIA

Their website is notorious for being a bit difficult to navigate. Do you see your reservation on it? If not, that will be the first step. Don't give up and come back here for questions - most everyone is happy to help!

Their website is notorious for being a bit difficult to navigate. Do you see your reservation on it? If not, that will be the first step. Don't give up and come back here for questions - most everyone is happy to help!

thanks Tgnorton,

I'm trying to take it slow with the questions. I don't want folks to start "virtually" running from me whenever they see me coming. :D

"oh no here comes that crazy Jersey girl with 10 thousands questions".

with that it mind.

Formal night. Is that a requirement? does everyone attend or can you just hang out on another area of the ship? I would love it, my teenage sons? not so much. They get mad because I won't let them wear shorts and sneakers to church. LOL. "but mom, is the summer, dress codes are relaxed"

thanks Tgnorton,

I'm trying to take it slow with the questions. I don't want folks to start "virtually" running from me whenever they see me coming. :D

"oh no here comes that crazy Jersey girl with 10 thousands questions".

with that it mind.

Formal night. Is that a requirement? does everyone attend or can you just hang out on another area of the ship? I would love it, my teenage sons? not so much. They get mad because I won't let them wear shorts and sneakers to church. LOL. "but mom, is the summer, dress codes are relaxed"

If you (or your boys) don't want to dress up for formal night, you can go to the Windjammer in shorts! For the main dining room, khakis and a polo shirt will be fine, even on formal night. Shorts are not usually worn for dinner, ok for breakfast and lunch.

Ask your questions. We were all newbies once!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

TIA

I do not think that dining reservations are opened yet for your cruising. Usually everything opens 90 days prior to sailing. I am sailing the Oasis in Feb 2015 and was able to reserve all my shows and excursions. I do not ever eat in specialty restaurants and Dynamic Dining is not available until March 14, 2015, so I'm all set there. I, too, am all psyched about this cruise! Last year was my 7th cruise, but 1st on Royal, and I LOVED IT!!!! Booked this cruise the same week I got home off the Independence!! Have a wonderful cruise! Once you sail, you will be hooked forever!! :)

It just hit me that this is your first cruise (slow brain day - it's pouring cats & dogs here:(). I read this on another thread so I don't exactly understand how it works, but if you go out to mlife dot com and sign up for their loyalty program, you get reciprocity with Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor loyalty program. Once you have your mlife membership number, call RCL's Crown and Anchor desk and give it to them and they'll issue you a C&A membership number. You will then get some discount coupons loaded on your cabin key (sea pass card). Sign your spouse up, and you'll both get the benefits.

TIA

Congrats on your first cruise. You chose a fantastic ship! We were on the Allure (the "almost" identical twin-sister ship of the Oasis) last year and have two upcoming cruises on the Oasis.

Sounds like most of your initial questions so far have been addressed, but you will have more as time goes by, so come back to Cruise Critic for the answers. Most everyone is friendly and helpful.

Happy Sails!