Can I purchase and then cancel and rebook same room?

Kind of hard to make sense in the heading. I called Royal today about doing a booking for Feb. 2016. I asked them if I can get the on board credits now or if I can only get them on the ship that I will be sailing on in 2015. They told me to book now and if rates drop I can rebook. I talked to two diff. folks there and neither one was positive if I could cancel my 2016 cruise and rebook the exact same room while on my 2015 cruise thus getting my same room and my obc. I am pretty sure I cannot be the first one to ever ask this so I am asking cruisecritic to help me out as I am sure you folks will know the answer. Thanks.

Kind of hard to make sense in the heading. I called Royal today about doing a booking for Feb. 2016. I asked them if I can get the on board credits now or if I can only get them on the ship that I will be sailing on in 2015. They told me to book now and if rates drop I can rebook. I talked to two diff. folks there and neither one was positive if I could cancel my 2016 cruise and rebook the exact same room while on my 2015 cruise thus getting my same room and my obc. I am pretty sure I cannot be the first one to ever ask this so I am asking cruisecritic to help me out as I am sure you folks will know the answer. Thanks.

Yes, you can cancel and rebook while onboard. There's a small chance you would lose the stateroom.

The way I do it is book a cabin in that same category while on the ship and then when I get home call C and A and have the other reservation number so they can cancel the one with the cabin that you really want and put it on the other reservation that was made onboard.

Edited by molly361

The way I do it is book a cabin in that category while on the ship and then when I get home call C and A and have the other reservation number so they can cancel the one with the cabin that you really want and put it on the other reservation that was made onboard.

Wow that is interesting. Have to let that one settle in for a second. Sounds great.

The way I do it is book a cabin in that same category while on the ship and then when I get home call C and A and have the other reservation number so they can cancel the one with the cabin that you really want and put it on the other reservation that was made onboard.

This is what I did last time.

Make sure you are booking the exact same category: for ex D1 for D1, do not make a mistake and book a D2. That happened to me for one of my categories and I had to choose another cabin in that category when I got back. Some of the deck plans differ in the books they show you onboard so be sure before you go.

When I got home I called C&A and I cancelled each (previously booked) cabin as I was talking to them and they rebooked it for me with the obc. They warn you that you may lose your cabin but I did it for 8 cabins and didn't have a problem.

Edited by marci22

That is some good info.Why can't they do that right on the ship though?

They can. I think what you originally asked and what Marci said are the inverse of each other. If I read your original question correctly, you want to book now (from home) so you can get the cabin you want, and then cancel and re-book the same cabin when you're on board your next cruise so you can get the OBC. If I read Marci's response, she booked on board to get the OBC, then changed to the cabin she really wanted after she got home.

Now my head hurts...:)

I imagine that the LA onboard could do this for you.

That said I believe that they are more geared towards making new reservations than servicing existing ones.

It would be more in my comfort zone (this is just my opinion) to call RCL once home and take care of it that way.

Here it is:

I booked several cabins during the early Bogoho sales and I was cruising on Ex later in May. Once onboard, I asked LA what to do. She said they do not like to cancel the cruises I already booked, and that I should book the same category onboard, and when I get home, cancel the original cruises and have the cabins changed when I do that.

It probably just saves them time. They can book a new cruise and get me out of there instead of cancelling my old cabin, re-grabbing that cabin, and rebooking.

I had several cabins to book and even though I gave her all the info without any hesitation, it still took quite some time to get it all done. (and people were waiting because the people before me had gone over their allotted time by about 1/2 an hour. They had everything booked and then the girlfriend said, 'oh wait, I still have classes during that time!' So they had to start over from scratch. It was very tedious.)

Edited by marci22

Thanks for the clarification Marci. I just got off the phone with the c&a. He told me they can do it on the ship or if I prefer to do it the way you said. I told him that he sounded way more knowledgeable than the folks I met online. They were order takers. Thanks again for the info.

the question isn't about the same CATEGORY the cruiser wants the same SPECIFIC cabin bc its ON THE BUMP OUT... I get what hes trying to say... he would need to know all cabin # above and below that deck so he could keep the same Bump out cabin w the larger balcony

This is very interesting. I had no idea you could do this. I am cruising Jan 2015 and have a cruise booked for March 2016 with no perks. Might be worth a try though I did get it with the BOGOHO. My question is' date=' if I booked through a TA do I have to go back to them or can I call C & A?[/quote']

You can book the stateroom with Royal directly, and then transfer to the TA if you want. You've got 60 days to transfer, as long as the cruise is not paid off.

This is very interesting. I had no idea you could do this. I am cruising Jan 2015 and have a cruise booked for March 2016 with no perks. Might be worth a try though I did get it with the BOGOHO. My question is' date=' if I booked through a TA do I have to go back to them or can I call C & A?[/quote']

I have no idea. You are doing somewhat the same as we are going to do. You should rebook while on your 2015 cruise if the price is better or if there is obc. If the price gets worse then you did the right thing already having it booked. I cannot see how we can lose.

You can book the stateroom with Royal directly, and then transfer to the TA if you want. You've got 60 days to transfer, as long as the cruise is not paid off.

I have already transferred my 2016 cruise to a TA, so I was just wondering if I had to go through the TA to change if I rebook, or can I do it through C & A. It would be much easier to do it directly with Royal.

the question isn't about the same CATEGORY the cruiser wants the same SPECIFIC cabin bc its ON THE BUMP OUT... I get what hes trying to say... he would need to know all cabin # above and below that deck so he could keep the same Bump out cabin w the larger balcony

I understand his question.

You book the cabin you want now. When you get on the ship, you book another cabin, in the same category, to get your obc (assuming the cruise has not gone up in price). It doesn't have to be in the same location, because you are going to switch it with the one you have once you get back home.

When you get home, you call C&A and tell them you want to switch your onboard booked cabin to another one. Then you cancel the one you originally booked, the C&A rep grabs it, and switches it with the one you booked on board.

Now you have the cabin you wanted originally, plus you have the obc from booking onboard.

Edited by marci22

I have already transferred my 2016 cruise to a TA' date=' so I was just wondering if I had to go through the TA to change if I rebook, or can I do it through C & A. It would be much easier to do it directly with Royal.[/quote']

If the price is good, you book the same category onboard and get the obc.

Then when you get home, call your TA, have them cancel the old booking, and grab that cabin to switch with the one you booked onboard.

Make sure your TA will not charge a cancellation fee to do this.

You can, but may not get the same stateroom.

You can, but may not get the same stateroom.

I did this with 8 cabins (booked on one cruise. doesn't include the times I have done this in the past). I did not have a problem.

Book your same category onboard and get your obc (check price first. If price has gone up, it may not be not worth it.) You get home. You call C&A and tell them you have a cabin that you want to switch. When they are ready, you cancel your original booking. They grab it and do the switch.

I am sure there is a 1% chance you could lose your room, but I have done this many, many times with no problem.

Edited by marci22

I have already transferred my 2016 cruise to a TA' date=' so I was just wondering if I had to go through the TA to change if I rebook, or can I do it through C & A. It would be much easier to do it directly with Royal.[/quote']

I'm sort of lost trying to remember the scenario you are considering. If you want to book something now, and then cancel the existing cruise, then you can book the new cruise direct with Royal and then ask the TA to cancel the existing cruise. However, if you are just trying to change the existing cruise, that has to be done by the TA.