Crown Princess arrival in San Pedro delayed 24 hours

IECalCruiser

We have friends currently on the Crown. Due to a medical emergency they had to backtrack 350 miles to the Marquesas Islands to drop off a passenger. They are just about there but the detour will delay their arrival in San Pedro by 24 hours. A lot of passengers needing to make flight changes :( Hope the passenger is OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Underway using Engine

Speed/Course: 21.5kn / 30°Destination:

LOS ANGELES ETA:

2014-11-16 13:00 (UTC)

Received:43 min ago

(AIS Source: 388 Patrice)

UTC (Time Zone) Sunday, 16 November 2014 at 1:00:00 PM UTC is

Los Angeles (U.S.A. - California) Sunday, 16 November 2014 at 5:00:00 AM

Edited by lindaANDjohn

Hope they have good medical evacuation policy. Only a very small, limited hospital on Nuka Hiva. Serious cases are evacuated to Papeete Tahiti. If they need evacuation from there it would be very expensive.
Which is why I have MedJet Assist. :)

Which is why I have MedJet Assist. :)

So do I. I first got it before a vacation in Tahiti after reading about the cost of a medical evacuation from there. The 50k from the cruise line insurance would probably not be enough back to US.

Actuals can always vary but in circumstances like this Princess usually provides limited assistance. For outbound passengers, if they booked through Princess ezAir they will often handle it. Independent air they MAY cover the change fees in some form for outbound pax. They will also usually allow free calls/internet to make arrangements.

Inbound pax will most likely see OBC for 1 days missed travel and possibly discounted hotel rooms.

Question for you sailors out there...

If we sail late Sunday afternoon, is it possible to reach our first port of call (Puerto Vallarta) by Tuesday morning? Just wondering since we were originally scheduled for two full days at sea in the beginning.

Sure hope the person is doing well now. Shame this happened, but know I would want help for my loved one no matter what. I recall a port we missed due to a young man and broken leg. I could not believe the comments we overheard in the dining room. Yes, it is unfortunate if you have to miss a port, but you must keep it in perspective as to how you would feel if it was your family/friend.

So do I. I first got it before a vacation in Tahiti after reading about the cost of a medical evacuation from there. The 50k from the cruise line insurance would probably not be enough back to US.

Ironically I am booked on the Crown and also am on the delayed Golden Princess.

I broke my arm ashore in Tahiti. The hospital is new and I would have trusted them to operate on my arm had they deemed it necessary. Not luxurious, but not a problem.

I fully expect the schedule to be impacted (we're on the cruise next week too). It takes a full sea day at least just to reach Cabo from LA. I'd recommend being prepared for it.

It's about 340 miles between Cabo and Puerto Vallarta. Your guess is probably correct. Good chance either Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan port stops will be affected.

We have friends currently on the Crown. Due to a medical emergency they had to backtrack 350 miles to the Marquesas Islands to drop off a passenger. They are just about there but the detour will delay their arrival in San Pedro by 24 hours. A lot of passengers needing to make flight changes :( Hope the passenger is OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Was the medical emergency a passenger or crew? Either way not a pleasant situation.

Did your friends on board indicate?

I know the roll call for the 28 day was a chatty one,before they left,but haven't heard a live from or anything under their roll call from any of the passengers.

Marine tracker says arrived at the Port of Taiohae, F.P. on 11-10-2014 at 14:58 and left at 15:40.

ETA to Los Angeles/San Pedro is 11-16-2014 at 13:00 UTC.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

Marine tracker says arrived at the Port of Taiohae, F.P. on 11-10-2014 at 14:58 and left at 15:40.

ETA to Los Angeles/San Pedro is 11-16-2014 at 13:00 UTC.

There is a good amount of ocean out there where the ship is out of range of the standard tracking. Once they do get back in range in several hours, they should have an updated eta to San Pedro.

Ironically I am booked on the Crown and also am on the delayed Golden Princess.

I broke my arm ashore in Tahiti. The hospital is new and I would have trusted them to operate on my arm had they deemed it necessary. Not luxurious, but not a problem.

Yes the hospital there is well equipped for a lot of things (broken bones is relatively simple from a medical perspective). I am thinking more of conditions with internal organ involvement. The issue is leaving if you have a medical condition that would prevent you from flying standard commercial air. Because of the location a medical evacuation back to the US can easily be in the 50-100k range. That means your choices would be limited to remaining for an extended period of time until the condition resolves (could be very very expensive depending if your insurance covers non-US hospitals) or pay (also very expensive if you don't have medical evacuation coverage). In either case one could easily exhaust a travel insurance policy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post

Which is why I have MedJet Assist.

This will be our 1st cruise with MedJet Assist. After reading all of the stories here on CC we just couldn't see not having it for our version of this same cruise next year. We are keeping the passenger & family in our prayers!

Mike

Bummer. When will they let us know? And what happens in these kind of situations, does Princess compensate us for a hotel or flight change?
This is what would come under "trip interruption" through your insurance. Since this was not a mechanical or Princess problem, they're not required to compensate you. However, for PR, they might. They will give you a refund or OBC for the missed day but other than that, anything would be a guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post

Which is why I have MedJet Assist.

This will be our 1st cruise with MedJet Assist. After reading all of the stories here on CC we just couldn't see not having it for our version of this same cruise next year. We are keeping the passenger & family in our prayers!

Mike

We are going to get medjet assist too, first time, for our next cruise in a couple of weeks. We have a bunch of cruises coming up over the next few months and we are getting older. It is time.

I'm not sure why it isn't a Princess problem? It's not the fault of the passengers waiting for the ship to arrive. :confused:

It's definitely a problem for them trying to keep everyone happy in such situations, That's why cruise lines also have insurance !

They'll do their best to sort and help etc, but there will always be a few who'll want far more. There was a cancelled Princess cruise out of Australia earlier this year. They got all their money back plus the equivalent for another cruise and a bit extra. Still people jumped up and down on TV current affairs shows because their holiday was stuffed! At least they get to take another...........

Edited by lindaANDjohn