Crown Princess arrival in San Pedro delayed 24 hours

IECalCruiser

I've expressed my great sympathy to the ill person and please take it as restated in this post.

That being said since it is not there until Sunday rather than Saturday those of us who are not local are incurring expenses.I do not think it greedy to ask that princess in addition to the per diem to pay for our hotel rooms.yes life is valuable but I bet none of the companies that are supplying princess to make up for the time fuel etc. lost are taking anything except cash on the barrelhead.

This is not a delayed flight. A cruise is something special. This is not the cruise that I signed up for 2 ports in six days. That's an awful lot of Sea days for the effort. Cruises cost a lot of money and at least by me are selected carefully princess may not owe us anything contractually, but I think they should go further then they have done to make us happy.

I extend my hearty good wishes to the ill crewman and want to be compensated for my extra expenses. I suspect that is the way that most people affected by this feel despite the effort to compartmentalize us into selfish children out of wedlock.

Edited by Wehwalt

My cousin doesn't LIVE in PV, just near it. So I wasn't content with just sending her an email in the HOPES that she read it before she set out to PV. I was online a good amount of time trying to make sure I got in contact either with her or another cousin that I knew could contact her directly.
This is your choice and has nothing to do with Princess. If the ship had sailed on time and couldn't get into PV for whatever reason, you would have had to contact your cousin. Ports and port times are NEVER guaranteed so I'm sure you would have already had a plan to get in touch with them no matter what the reason.

After speaking to cruise line, TWICE. There is a 20 off FCC(but who really wants that at this time) and a OBC of 50.00. But there is NO help with your added expenses unless you bought trip insurance.

Also I paid over a 100.00 a day for the cruise and55 .00 for package, and I am not getting that 1 day amount back at all& I am out a 200.00 Hotel and 3 extra meal. I feel as a consumer Princess does not care about any of there guests because you have NO choice.

I am sorry to hear about the medical emergency but I shouldn't be punished for

When I talked with them, they claimed the one day per diem was going to be based on 1/7th of your cruise fare to cover that day. This is on top of the $50 obc and FCC of 20% of your cruise fare per person.

Edited by jtcoolk

Exactly!

What happen to customer service?

You mean the customer service that lied to my travel agent twice until I emailed her the position of the Crown Princess and the fact from the port of Los Angeles site that she wasn't due to arrive until Sunday? You mean that princess customer service?

'I think that there is a lesson for us all here when booking cruises, flights, hotels and transfers, whether or not to book direct, through a TA or independently???.......also do you have the right travel insurance or are you travelling with no insurance!' .....If the later is the problem, then you pay the money and takes your chance!

Good news that the patient is doing well :)

............... I suspect that is the way that most people affected by this feel despite the effort to compartmentalize us into selfish children out of wedlock.

OK, I had to ask, what does this mean?

And sympathy to all who got caught up in this mess. There are no winners when this kind of thing happens. :(

Children out of wedlock is a euphemism. Back in the days when there were paper digests of law cases the topic was originally called bastardry then children out of wedlock and still later illegitimate children. In other words I was using an alternative term for the noun implied by the oldest legal term in a way that would not get me censored by administrator.

I should add that I support princess in what she did no one could humanely have done otherwise then to get the man to help I simply think that the compensation offered isnt adequate I would be perfectly happy with what was offered plus my hotel and meal expenses for one day. And I doubt they'd have to pay anything more expensive on meals then in and out burger.

Edited by Wehwalt

O.... We all have to get a hotel room and pay to eat, why should the person with the balcony room or mini-suite get more per diem than I? That part seems strange.

Because they paid more per day for the cruise and are entitled to get 1/7th of their money refunded back too.

Then it really isn't a per diem as I understand the term but rather a partial refund.

Bingo! There is no such thing as "compensation" or "per diem" here. It's a refund of 1/7 cruise fare and the port taxes for PV. Additionally, the 20% is an incentive to get you to come back. Those of us who sail frequently will certainly benefit. Others won't. Clearly, their choice of wording in their email was poor.

I suppose I should quit while I'm ahead based on previous posts.

After speaking to cruise line, TWICE. There is a 20 off FCC(but who really wants that at this time) and a OBC of 50.00. But there is NO help with your added expenses unless you bought trip insurance.
But... but... that's why you buy insurance. Not purchasing insurance was your choice. You're getting a refund of 1/7th of your cruise fare which you can apply towards any additional expenses.

Also I paid over a 100.00 a day for the cruise and55 .00 for package, and I am not getting that 1 day amount back at all& I am out a 200.00 Hotel and 3 extra meal. I feel as a consumer Princess does not care about any of there guests because you have NO choice.

I am sorry to hear about the medical emergency but I shouldn't be punished for

Your $100 per day is exactly what they're giving you back with what they term per diem (1/7 of the cruise fare refund).

As for the $55 package, I assume you mean the unlimited beverage package. If you haven't pre-purchased and paid for it in advance, then you should only be charged for the 6 days once you are aboard. If it was prepaid, then I certainly would be demanding a refund for the lost day.

You mean the customer service that lied to my travel agent twice until I emailed her the position of the Crown Princess and the fact from the port of Los Angeles site that she wasn't due to arrive until Sunday? You mean that princess customer service?

That's a bit harsh. I don't think the rep was sitting there making up a lie. They were most likely just unaware of the situation. They certainly should have taken the extra moment to find the correct info, but they weren't lying.

Bingo! There is no such thing as "compensation" or "per diem" here. It's a refund of 1/7 cruise fare and the port taxes for PV. Additionally, the 20% is an incentive to get you to come back. Those of us who sail frequently will certainly benefit. Others won't. Clearly, their choice of wording in their email was poor.

I suppose I should quit while I'm ahead based on previous posts.

"per diem" means per day. Seems self-explanatory to me.

Per-diem is an industry standard term that means costs incurred (or revenue earned) per day.

So if you spent $700 on your cruise plus pre-paid for a beverage package for $70 (I am using round numbers here to make it easy) and your cruise is 7 days, you should receive a credit of $110 plus a refund of PV specific port fees.

Just to be clear - at no time is it EVER a travel provider's responsibility to reimburse you for events outside their control. That is why there is insurance. If you chose not to buy insurance, it doesn't mean there is magical coverage that appears if something happens, it means that you have selected to self-insure and thus you are responsible for all incurred costs.

Any compensation above and beyond pro-rating pre-paid expenses it a bonus and should never be expected.

Yes that is why you buy insurance however they are compensating people who are on the ship now for their added travel costs. They have no obligation whatsoever to do that. Just like this situation. I'm hoping we will get equitable treatment.

And of course I don't mean that the individual princess agent at the other end of the line was lying to my travel agent personally. What I am saying is Princess at an institution was lying. Somebody decided what would be saidand they stayed with that for over a day until they decided to acknowledge what was going on. In that time people could have been making alternative travel arrangements.

Edited by Wehwalt

....I simply think that the compensation offered isnt adequate I would be perfectly happy with what was offered plus my hotel and meal expenses for one day. And I doubt they'd have to pay anything more expensive on meals then in and out burger.
Did you purchase insurance? I know you think Princess should cover your added expenses due to trip delay, but Princess offered you insurance to cover this exact scenario when you booked your cruise; if you declined it (and did not purchase third party insurance) you also implicitly agreed to self-insure. Any added expenses for this trip delay are on you.

...they are compensating people who are on the ship now for their added travel costs. They have no obligation whatsoever to do that.

As I read it, they are only saying that passengers now onboard may submit their change fees for consideration. Consideration does not mean they will get approved or reimbursed. And change fees does not include increases in airfare, just the change fee itself. Travel insurance is needed to cover increased flight ticket costs. Princess is handling this in the exact same way they always have; they expect trip insurance coverage for typical delay events. Go back to the threads on the Icelandic volcano and the earthquake in Chile and you will see no major difference.

FWIW, in those situations Princess was also slow to officially acknowledge the changed itineraries; I don't ascribe it to lying as much as slow corporate wheel turning. Usually CC beats their press office to the punch. In your case, you had enough time to book a hotel, right? I don't think you needed to wait until they confirmed it to act on the news.

Edited by cherylandtk

Being a situation where coordination between the medical center, local hospitals,local maritime authorities etc. Was necessary and the crew member was priority #1, there may have been times when the plans were in flux and shoreside was awaiting advisement --just a guess

Let's be thankful that they did not suffer the loss of 2 crew members in a month.

It's always so sad when you read of the families at home

Did you purchase insurance? I know you think Princess should cover your added expenses due to trip delay, but Princess offered you insurance to cover this exact scenario when you booked your cruise; if you declined it (and did not purchase third party insurance) you also implicitly agreed to self-insure. Any added expenses for this trip delay are on you.

I have Princess's insurance. That's not the point.

Princess has stated that they are going to give some compensation. At this point, the principle's been established, we're just dickering over the price.

Edited by Wehwalt

We've been on both ends -- once received two extra days at sea while Princess skirted a hurricane, and now having one day less on our cruise.

I booked a motel near the port for under $100, so the per diem plus $50 each will more than compensate and we will be happy to be "encouraged" to take another Princess cruise next year. :)

I hope you cruisers for next week are getting all the "angst" out of your systems so we will be a fun bunch!

I hope you cruisers for next week are getting all the "angst" out of your systems so we will be a fun bunch!

I've no 'angst' to filter out so I'm already in supa dupa cruise mode and having fun now the packing's done, and we still don't leave Australia for another 19 hours. Not really looking forward to having to hear all the complaining on the ship, should pack the ear plugs .

I've no 'angst' to filter out so I'm already in supa dupa cruise mode and having fun now the packing's done, and we still don't leave Australia for another 19 hours. Not really looking forward to having to hear all the complaining on the ship, should pack the ear plugs .

A bunch of whiners would surely put a damper on the cruise. Hope they all stay in their cabin and whine to their heart's content

I have Princess's insurance. That's not the point.

Princess has stated that they are going to give some compensation. At this point, the principle's been established, we're just dickering over the price.

Let's say Princess gives you compensation for your extra hotel day and food, and then you turn around and submit your expenses to your insurance. That's double-dipping and insurance fraud. Not saying you'd do this but we both know some would be tempted. Since it's likely people will submit an insurance claim and Princess has no way of knowing who does or doesn't have insurance, it's reasonable for them to assume people do and by submitting a claim, they'll get reimbursed.

IMHO, Princess has been more than reasonable/fair. Not sure what's left to "dicker" over.