Thinking of trying Royal Caribbean

mary80

The serenade sounds like a really beautiful ship. I don't think i really mind the room being a little smaller. It's nice to see some good comments on the food, most places I've been reading said the food wasn't so good with Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done both and price and destination being equal, I really didn't notice much of a difference between the two. My son preferred the Camp on RC (can't remember the name) and we had the best MDR waiter ever on RC and Carnival's cabins are bigger. Other than that, they are very similar. Granted, that was 10 years ago and while we haven't sailed with them since, it's always been because of budget issues and no other reason.

Sorry I forgot to mention that, it's between the dream and serenade of the seas. Both ocean view rooms. My husband is a firefighter, and Royal Caribbean offers a special discount for that, so that's where the lower price comes in. It is nice to see that you have sailed with carnival so many times, but still enjoy other lines.

Go for the RCCL ship and expand your cruising experience. Sometimes brand loyalty is too restrictive.

I had sailed Carnival almost exclusively, but once I tried other lines, I saw what I was missing.

Bring lots of nickles and dimes if you want....a hamburger.

OP: Just to clarify this bit of misleading comment: you can get a hamburger for free on Royal, just like you can get a hamburger for free on Carnival on their respective counter service venues. However, Royal has a sit down, waiter service, alternative restaurant (Johnny Rockets) and for that, you will pay a $5 service charge.

With that said, I hope that you don't let the availability of hamburgers, free or not, to be a reason not to enjoy your cruise.

OP: Just to clarify this bit of misleading comment: you can get a hamburger for free on Royal, just like you can get a hamburger for free on Carnival on their respective counter service venues. However, Royal has a sit down, waiter service, alternative restaurant (Johnny Rockets) and for that, you will pay a $5 service charge.

With that said, I hope that you don't let the availability of hamburgers, free or not, to be a reason not to enjoy your cruise.

If not mistaken, Serenade doesn't even have a Johnny Rockets.

The serenade sounds like a really beautiful ship. I don't think i really mind the room being a little smaller. It's nice to see some good comments on the food, most places I've been reading said the food wasn't so good with Royal.

We found the buffet to be far better on RCI....the dining room food about the same. The cruise experience is more the same than different on these 2 lines. If you have the opportunity to sail them at a great price go for it....you won't regret it. :)

Why in the world do so many people compare hamburger and pizza choices. Cruises are partly about eating good food and not fast food. You can get free hamburgers and pizza on both lines. RCCL has Johnny Rockets, but it also has hamburger stands and some ships Hot Dog stands.

RCCL is an upgrade to Carnival in many but not all categories that really matter. This does not include hamburgers/hot dogs/popcorn/or the size of the room. With RCCL, each class of ship is different in major ways. They each offer a different experience. You can go on four different class of ships, and think you are on a different cruise line.

RCCL can be lower priced than some Carnival ships at different times or different promotions. Many times it is about the same. Difference is if you are just looking at the main price, you will find Carnival starts at a really low price, than they add a few dollars for center of ship, than a few more for the next floor, etc. Than you pay $50.00 to get on faster. With RCCL, the price you see is the price you get. There are no additional options. YOu don't pick price based on different promotions. It is only one. You get only one price. At the end of the day, many people get less products for the same price. Carnival drinks are more expensive. It is really hard to compare prices when Carnival has so many variables.

However, everyone should try different lines, and see how they like it. You may like kids running around unsupervised all night, or you prefer a ship that enforces curfew. Maybe you like listening to drunks in the hallway, or you prefer a quite sleep. Maybe you like the long lines in a buffet watching people load up their plates mile high, or the more calm buffets where it is easy, and without lines, multiple stations, making it easy, at least in appearance not to see the over indulgent passengers.

Save the money, try RCCL, and enjoy!

OP: Just to clarify this bit of misleading comment: you can get a hamburger for free on Royal, just like you can get a hamburger for free on Carnival on their respective counter service venues. However, Royal has a sit down, waiter service, alternative restaurant (Johnny Rockets) and for that, you will pay a $5 service charge..

Not so true on QOTS, sorry I could not resist.....;)

Serenade doesn't have room service? Or doesn't have a late night charge?

Quantum of the Seas will apparently offer some premium items on their room service menu for an extra fee. Somewhat like Carnival offering premium items on their MDR menu for an extra fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Quantum of the Seas will apparently offer some premium items on their room service menu for an extra fee. Somewhat like Carnival offering premium items on their MDR menu for an extra fee.

I thought Quantum pretty much did away with MDRs and traditional dining?

As for Johnny Rockets, it's a diner, not a 5 star experience.

fresh squeezed OJ $4

eggs $3.95 free on other RCI ships for now

pork sliders, chicken wings,angus burger, and margherita pizz $4.95

also Johnny Rockets is ala carte pricing and no cover charge.

Bill

It would appear Johnny Rockets is moot. No 5 star burger on Serenade, it appears.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines with a Johnny Rockets On Board

• Voyager of the Seas
    Explorer of the Seas
    Adventure of the Seas
    Navigator of the Seas
    Mariner of the Seas
    Freedom of the Seas
    Majesty of the Seas
    Liberty of the Seas
    Independence of the Seas
    Oasis of the Seas
    Allure of the Seas

also Johnny Rockets is ala carte pricing and no cover charge.

Bill

It's my understanding that it's a cover charge at Johnny Rockets except for the milkshakes which are extra. At least that's how it was on our last Royal cruise, and that's what's online as well. The only thing that I noticed is that the cover charge has been increased from $4.95 to $5.95.

Edited by Tapi

Well now, we are 3 pages into this thread and the OP probably got a good sense she should save some money and try Royal way back on page one. Since then this thread has turned into your typical hamburger bun fight.;)

Let's pretend that the SOS actually had a Johnny Rockets which charged $5 and the Carnival ship has burgers included in the price. So how many JR burgers would the OP need to consume to equalize the cost of the two cruises? At $5 each the OP and partner would need to eat 60 burgers over 7 days ($300/$5). That's 4.3 burgers each, every single day. :eek:

Now if the OP did manage to eat 4.3 burgers per day - each and every day - she probable wouldn't notice if the RCL ship experience was any better that the Carnival experience - she would be in a COMA!

It's my understanding that it's a cover charge at Johnny Rockets except for the milkshakes which are extra. At least that's how it was on our last Royal cruise, and that's what's online as well. The only thing that I noticed is that the cover charge has been increased from $4.95 to $5.95.

It's a little different on QOTS Tapi, according to reports from the TA anyway. They now have individual pricing on items and counter service (that was my good nature'd little dig on my previous post to you.):)

We have sailed with carnival 4 times, and always love it. We are thinking of cruising in January, and found two cruises, both the same week, and both to key west and the Bahamas. One is with carnival, and one is with Royal. The Royal Caribbean cruise is about $300 cheaper. Have any of you ever sailed only with carnival and then switched to Royal? What did you think? We want to save money, but are afraid to make the switch. It'll be just the two of us sailing. Thanks!

It doesn't hurt to try another line. I tried rcl, and found myself back at carnival, and will stay with carnival. Rcl ships are nice, but ccl, is more of my speed.

We have sailed with carnival 4 times, and always love it. We are thinking of cruising in January, and found two cruises, both the same week, and both to key west and the Bahamas. One is with carnival, and one is with Royal. The Royal Caribbean cruise is about $300 cheaper. Have any of you ever sailed only with carnival and then switched to Royal? What did you think? We want to save money, but are afraid to make the switch. It'll be just the two of us sailing. Thanks!

We have sailed on CC, RCCL, and NCL and really have never seen a big difference between them. It just comes down to the ship, itinerary, and price to us. We will be on the Carnival Pride the end of this month and then on Royal's Allure of the Seas in March.

Have a great time no matter what you decide! :)