Table for two etiquette

TwoBadKnees

It really is polite to acknowledge people sitting so close to you. We usually nod and return to our private conversation. Unfortunately, we have had more negative then positive experiences in doing so. Those who want to talk the whole dinner time to a very disturbing experience in the Crown Grill. In this case, we were seated closely to a well dressed couple at a table for two on the first night of the cruise. DH was wearing dockers and I was acceptably dressed (in reference to the jeans thread). I am a "bit" fluffy. This couple observed and commented to each other on what we were eating. This well dressed sixtyish man even made "oinking" and "mooing" sounds directed at our table. What a way to ruin an evening. (by the way, I had the small filet with lobster, in case you were wondering.) So, please excuse me if I do not go out of my way to converse with strangers beyond a simple hello.

What in the world is wrong with some people?! That's just horrible! :eek:

I agree with Potstech....the way I would have handled it wouldn't have been pretty either :mad:

It really is polite to acknowledge people sitting so close to you. We usually nod and return to our private conversation. Unfortunately, we have had more negative then positive experiences in doing so. Those who want to talk the whole dinner time to a very disturbing experience in the Crown Grill. In this case, we were seated closely to a well dressed couple at a table for two on the first night of the cruise. DH was wearing dockers and I was acceptably dressed (in reference to the jeans thread). I am a "bit" fluffy. This couple observed and commented to each other on what we were eating. This well dressed sixtyish man even made "oinking" and "mooing" sounds directed at our table. What a way to ruin an evening. (by the way, I had the small filet with lobster, in case you were wondering.) So, please excuse me if I do not go out of my way to converse with strangers beyond a simple hello.

Oh my gosh! That is unbelievable! So sorry that happened to you. Who do these people think they are?! :mad:

P.S. I can relate to something slightly like this. Once at Disney World, some teenagers made fun of me for eating ice cream!

Edited by metairiegal

This couple observed and commented to each other on what we were eating. This well dressed sixtyish man even made "oinking" and "mooing" sounds directed at our table. What a way to ruin an evening. (by the way, I had the small filet with lobster, in case you were wondering.) So, please excuse me if I do not go out of my way to converse with strangers beyond a simple hello.

That is beyond rude, no matter where you are!:mad:

I can't even begin to imagine what people like that are thinking, or what they must be like in more casual circumstances.:eek:

The only comment I would ever make about what someone else is eating would be, "Wow, that looks good!" And what I feel if I do notice someone really packing it in is envy. I wish I were able to eat more but I'm full way too soon. My mouth wants more (yum!), but my stomach can't handle it. :(

I would have called the matre'd over and asked for a table change. He will probably ask why. When he did, I would tell him exactly how the sort of table mates behaved and also request that it be put on your record that you do not want to be seated with 100 feet of the pair for future meals.

There was no reason for your evening to be ruined because a couple of idiots were sitting next to you.

DON

Good points folks. They were almost done -- enjoying their coffee. Since it was crown grill -- we would not see them again. I assume they were in a suite as they did not get a receipt to sign. Although this is a pure judgement on my part, they did not look like happy people. When you need to put others down to feel good, then Karma catches up with you.

I agree about the tables being so close to each other. We always get a table for two so we can eat at our pace and not have to wait for those who are late before the waiter can take our order.

When we get those tables that are so close it could be a four top, I ask to be seated somewhere else.

However, if we happen to have a chatty neighbor, I'll just politely inform them that we mean no disrespect but that we're on our honeymoon and that we're hoping to enjoy dinner to ourselves. That may come off as rude, but IMHO, it is far more inconsiderate to infringe on other people's vacations. As previous posters said--you wouldn't necessarily chat up the couple sitting next to you at a restaurant on the mainland. Why would it suddenly be socially acceptable on a cruise ship?
As far as I'm concerned, there is NO reason you should have to explain (essentially apologize) why you don't want to 'chat'. Sitting at a 'table for two' should be enough of a hint.

When we want a meal, at our own pace but still want to socialize, that is when we either explain to our waiter or go to Horizon Court.

Sorry for being so late to join in on this one, but we were on a cruise when this thread started last week.

First a little background, we switched from doing late traditional dining to Any time a couple of years ago. Our reason to pick any time is mainly flexibility, partly due to dietary side effects of abdominal surgery I had a few years ago. In the past we have often requested 2 tops in order to have a more private dining experience, but would often get stuck with larger tables. In general I often enjoy the conversation at 4 and 6 place tables, but feel it gets a bit overwhelming at 8 and 10 tops, we also like getting to see a different group of people each time we dine with anytime, instead of the dice roll of hitting it off or not when stuck with the same people every night.

On our cruise last we week due to the any time seating delay when asked preference we would say first available. For each night until the last night of the cruise we ended up at 6, 8 or 10 tops. Then on the next to final night we were seated at a closely set pair of 2 tops, which I was honestly glad about as I was getting tired of the larger 8 - 10 groups. These 2 tops were spaced in pairs with bench seating on one side So == == == etc.. We were seated at the 2 top in position == X= == with all the other seating being vacant, a few seconds later another couple was seated at the next pair of 2 tops over in position =Y X= ==, we greeted them with a basic greeting (good evening, etc.) they responded, and then started talking between themselves about their evening activity plans, we went back to looking at our menus and that was the end of the conversation. About a minute later another couple was seated at the 2 top that was spaced about 3 inches from our table in position =Y XZ ==. We again greeted them with a similar basic greeting they responded and appeared to want more conversation , we asked them about their day in port, they asked about ours, and conversation continued throughout the course of the meal, overall it was pleasant, we found a few things in common, commented on what each other had picked for their main course (3 of us had picked the same thing).

This is all just to say that you can have it both ways, the couple to one side clearly did not want to converse over dinner, and were busy making plans, where the couple to our other side, did. The close table spacing on that side may have been a factor, but was not the only one.

As someone who is not married (with a boyfriend who can't take the vacation time I can) and who often ends up taking cruises by myself (because my friends from work can't take vacation at the same time I can), I often find myself requesting a table for 2 to dine by myself. Given that I often eat out alone when I'm home, this doesn't cause me distress to do so on vacation.

And given that I'm nearly deaf, it's very difficult for me to carry on any sort of casual conversation across a dinner table. It's really much easier for me to eat by myself, especially with a book. If I don't look up when you say "Hello," it's because I didn't hear you, not because I'm being rude.