Book now?

gskimmel

I am sailing on my first Oceania cruise in January. There is a 2016 sailing that I am interested in and I see until the end of the year there is a promo for booking 2016 sailings (reduced deposit, book early savings reduction, OBC, and Internet minutes for concierge and above). My TA told me that I can book in January when I am on the Riviera to get the on-board booking perks. However, I'm wondering if the price could increase once the promo is finished because it is no longer a super book early savings. Do you suggest that I book now and lock in the price or do I wait until January?

Another factor is we want to make sure we like Oceania. I'm debating between a 14 night Miami-Miami (Riviera) or a 10 night Seattle-Seattle (Regatta). Ideally we'd like to wait until January to book to see what we think of Oceania but I also don't want to be kicking myself if the price increased by then. I know it is impossible to predict price changes but as I'm unfamiliar with Oceania, I do not know their general pricing patterns.

Would I be able to lock in the price now by booking and then rebook the same cruise in January so that I can get the on-board booking perks? I don't recall if Oceania had a cancellation fee.

Thank you!

I will probably get flamed.... :D

First off what type of cabin. If it is a PH and above I would say book early. Especially on a R ship. They do sell out. Also for the Alaska cruise book early as they do sell out.

For anything else -- Oceania has too much capacity now and a lot of competition. They have been sweetening the deals for the Caribbean and many European cruises since summer. Every day it seems another email with more cruises being added to the list.

Examples --

• Our Amazon/Caribbean cruise - offering free internet, OBC and grats after the final payment date. We booked a year+ early and got zero!!!
  • Our April 15th 2015 (which we cancelled) - Bangkok to Istanbul. They just added $1000 OBC to the cruise.

Oceania is very reluctant to refare (almost nil) these after final payment.

also use a TA, they WILL transfer this booking to your agent.Then ask for ALL the perks(get a copy) that are offered, have always gotten them when persistent.Also, have TA check BEFORE final payment for any extra deals.They seem to have more power than cruiser who books on own.

I even had to switch dates after onboard booking and got same deal,but think it s only once on that.

They always have a lecture onboard with upcoming cruises and deals, then I book.;)

First off what type of cabin. If it is a PH and above I would say book early. Especially on a R ship. They do sell out. Also for the Alaska cruise book early as they do sell out.

quote]

That's a good question that I haven't decided on yet. In January, we are going to be in a concierge room. I figured that would give me an idea if we want to stay concierge go to PH for the 14-night option. But if we go with the 10-night Alaska on the Regatta, I'm leaning towards PH because of the extra space and balcony. Although there are some aft A2 (concierge) rooms that look ideal for Alaska. They are sandwiched between two corner suites. I am also considering Regent for a 7-night Alaska, but the PH that I placed a hold on is a few thousand more than the 10-night Oceania.

quote]

That's a good question that I haven't decided on yet. In January, we are going to be in a concierge room. I figured that would give me an idea if we want to stay concierge go to PH for the 14-night option. But if we go with the 10-night Alaska on the Regatta, I'm leaning towards PH because of the extra space and balcony. Although there are some aft A2 (concierge) rooms that look ideal for Alaska. They are sandwiched between two corner suites. I am also considering Regent for a 7-night Alaska, but the PH that I placed a hold on is a few thousand more than the 10-night Oceania.

We have never been to Alaska but are exploring a cruise for 2016. We have always sailed Oceania. However, there is a very interesting thread on the Oceania boards regarding differences between cruise lines for Alaska that may be of interest to you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121462

Hey GS,

If you book now for 2016 you will have many months after your January cruise to decide if that is what you want.

You should get a full refund of your deposit.

Check with your TA.

Good advice from Terrier.

Ira

We have never been to Alaska but are exploring a cruise for 2016. We have always sailed Oceania. However, there is a very interesting thread on the Oceania boards regarding differences between cruise lines for Alaska that may be of interest to you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2121462

Thank you for that link. Part of it was comical (the guy pushing Princess) but overall I found it helpful. I think I will release my Regent hold and go with Oceania Regatta.

Oceania's incentives to book on board are not as lucrative as they once were. Depending on the cabin category yo're booking, you may be money ahead to book now, then apply the $200 certificate you receive at the end of your next cruise.

In my opinion, if you seen a promotion for a cruise you are seriously considering, I would book it immediately. We booked our upcoming cruise a few months ago when they were running a promotion with included internet and gratuities. Once the promotion was over, it was not run again.

A promotion may not mean a savings.

When they run promotions months after the cruise initially became available for booking, you might end up paying more than you would have paid had you booked the cruise when it first came out without incentives. If they raised prices and added "incentives" you are not saving anything. It's the "net" that counts.

On board unlimited internet e.g. is only worth around $350 for a 20 night cruise. If the cruise price went only 500 pp there is no savings at all.

A promotion may not mean a savings.

When they run promotions months after the cruise initially became available for booking, you might end up paying more than you would have paid had you booked the cruise when it first came out without incentives. If they raised prices and added "incentives" you are not saving anything. It's the "net" that counts.

On board unlimited internet e.g. is only worth around $350 for a 20 night cruise. If the cruise price went only 500 pp there is no savings at all.

I agree. I saw a promotion for a free upgrade from inside to oceanview ... but the price of the inside had gone up to the previous oceanview cost.

I tend to look at the cost and if I think it's value for money I book it with a good TA.

First consideration though is always the itinerary.

In my opinion, if you seen a promotion for a cruise you are seriously considering, I would book it immediately. We booked our upcoming cruise a few months ago when they were running a promotion with included internet and gratuities. Once the promotion was over, it was not run again.

I pulled the trigger and booked a corner aft PH (7135) for the Riviera Sunny Getaways sailing. I understand that this suite is slightly smaller than other PHs but is more than made up for the wrap around verandah. If there is a better deal when I'm on the ship, then my TA told me to go ahead and book that one and she'll make the necessary changes. But for now, I'm happy with the price and ecstatic with the suite location. I love corner aft suites and I don't care that we aren't on the same deck as the other suites.