Why is it so hard ?

Minoushka

To contact tour operators in Tahiti ?

I gave tried numerous ones...no replies or letter sent back ..wrong emails

Can we find tours beaches. Snorkeling when we get there ....how far are they from where we dock ...is there local transportation to nice places ...language not an issue

Getting this trip on the way is very difficult ..help

You could also ask in the Paul Gauguin subforum--someone named "Emdee" knows many of these local operators and perhaps could give advice if you posted there, and there are other local experts as well. Or, tahiti-explorer.com which is dedicated to French Polynesia and also has some local experts. I think everyone has trouble with this, but you should have an advantage being francophone. Getting the right email addresses may be the key. What islands are you interested in?

Oh, and another thought--have you checked your roll call? There may be people who have already organized private excursions and you may be able to join in.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

This is pretty normal for this part of the world. The operators do not check email all the time. You can contact some operators through the Tahiti Tourism Board on line. You may also want to check Tripadvisor in addition to the subforum on Cruise Critic for tour operators and excursions.

I have tried contacting different individuals .....yes in French ...so far got one nibble .....one is sick others are booked solid .I know I got this cruise late .....last week to be exact ...but contacting people has proven rather difficult

Can we find people on shore when we arrive ...language is not a barrier .I am a French teacher

People on our roll call do not seem to want to respond ..or have so much

OBC that they are taking ships tour and are not organizing private ones ....i have looked at getting ships tours but no confirmation yet ...I really do not want to stress it out so much ..I realize these are island people ...but .....

Basically im looking to enjoy the sea .....snorkeling is my goal .....not too sureabout island tours and mosquitoes ...thinking deep woods off ...is that good?

Can we get to beaches or snorkeling areas without tours ?

Open to suggestions

I have tried contacting different individuals .....yes in French ...so far got one nibble .....one is sick others are booked solid .I know I got this cruise late .....last week to be exact ...but contacting people has proven rather difficult

Can we find people on shore when we arrive ...language is not a barrier .I am a French teacher

OBC that they are taking ships tour and are not organizing private ones ....i have looked at getting ships tours but no confirmation yet ...I really do not want to stress it out so much ..I realize these are island people ...but .....

Basically im looking to enjoy the sea .....snorkeling is my goal .....not too sureabout island tours and mosquitoes ...thinking deep woods off ...is that good?

Open to suggestions

These islands are small and there aren't many excursion operators so they book very quickly. It could be that that your fellow cruisers have booked private tours and they are filled up. Depending on the islands you may be able to find people to take you on an excursion but the ones where you snorkel and go to a motu picnic are usually prebooked. Do you have a list of islands that you will be visiting? I would compile a list of islands and post of the "Pacific Islands" board below requesting and excursion operators.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Open to suggestions

Bonjour MmeMichele,

If you could let us know your itinerary we could pass on some of our info.

Yes it can be very long to get a response but keep trying. Yes- you should bring bug repellent for inland excursions (anything with deet)

It will be difficult to pick up quality tours at the dock at most islands but Raiatea had many vendors port side. Lagoon excursions are best for snorkeling as there are few areas to swim within walking distance of tenders.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO happy to share my trip research with you.

Merci for all your help

We are on Oceania Marina ..ports are

Moorea,

BoraBora overnight

Raitea

Rangiroa

Huka nuva ..2days

I have found one response for Bora bora ...130$ for snorkeling lunch etc with somone who knows Maeve ....i accepted still ho confirmation

I was actually desperate enough to bite the bullet and book with the cruise line ...not cheap for many outings

Do you know about transfers to port ?we are arriving at 5 am ...not sure when we can board to crash ....our flights and wait time will be very very long ...sigh ....im not good on long journeys ...this should show me how not good ...LOL

Coming back thru Minnesota ...snow country ...bummer

Tahiti is a dream for me I hever thought possible so my making the most of it

When are you going?

Edited by mmemichele

I've been active on the roll call, and your experience is typical; while we arranged things (months ago), many of the providers were slow to respond, and some of the tours are full. I included (on the roll call) contact info for all of our providers. I don't know that there's anything else I can do but commiserate about the slew responses. Definitely, read the whole roll call carefully. Good luck, and I look forward to meeting you aboard!

Same as Europe. Some of these indep. cruise operators hire friends, businesses etc. to do their communications as they do not have a computer, speak,read,write English or know how to communicate well. I have also found that when they have full excursions they will NOT respond.

Is this the January 4th trip? (Or thereabouts.) There is an active roll-call for this cruise, if so. I know, because I have friends on this cruise, and have been giving them advice about excursions. Nuku Hiva seems to the most difficult, since Oceania is not providing anything.

We were on Paul Gaugin last year and you should look at their RollCall or look at the excursions they offer for suggestions. Getting around could be a challenge without ships tours because most of these islands are based around the resorts and what they have to offer. Not many taxis, getting around without tenders etc could be a real challenge. Probably bit the bullet and make it easy and relaxing for yourselves with the ship tours. It is beautiful and the waters are spectacular.

We were on Paul Gaugin last year and you should look at their RollCall or look at the excursions they offer for suggestions. Getting around could be a challenge without ships tours because most of these islands are based around the resorts and what they have to offer. Not many taxis, getting around without tenders etc could be a real challenge. Probably bit the bullet and make it easy and relaxing for yourselves with the ship tours. It is beautiful and the waters are spectacular.

We too were on the PG last year. They had some nice things offered at no charge, and I think we took one tour. It was booked through the ship...

The OP is on the roll call, but most tour providers are working with individuals, and many are full at this point.

Glad the OP is on the roll call, and yes, many are full. But may get some leads there. When it comes to Nuku Hiva, it's pretty lame of Oceania to simply opt out and say that the tourist infrastructure doesn't exist. It's difficult, especially with such a large ship. When we were there, the Paul Gauguin did manage to organize several tours on that island.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I have been to NukuHiva several times. It's too bad no tours are offered. Maybe the Aranui3 is in port at the same time? The last time I was there, they had booked all available transportation. This ship has been going to the Marquesas regularly for a long, long time. It's the islands' essential lifeline.

NukuHiva has no coral reef, hence no snoreling. The volcanic mountains rise abruptly from the ocean. You can walk along the water front to the cathedral, best to read up on its history, very interesting. On the way, there is a cabana with local vendors who do excellent wood carvings. Herman Melville wrote a short - possibly autobiographic - novel in which he described his life with the islanders: Taipivai.

If you can find transportation, have the driver take you up to the crater rim for a marvelous view of the bay, well worth it. You might even ask in one of the small stores whether anyone is willing to take you up for a fee. I never did this, but the islanders all know each other and each others' business. :) Enjoy this beautiful island, one of my favorites.

I have communicated with loads of operators. In French to make it easier ..most have not responded except the lady in Bora bora but she has yet to confirm

I have written countless emails ...still waiting ...not that easy

I guess i will speak to people when i get there if ship excursions do not work out

After all my French should come in handy ...hopefully ....LOLI am French not French Canadian so my accentt might make a difference

Im not really giving up ..but hey ...i did book this late cannot expect miracles

You should have no problems then with your French as they speak proper French not the Quebecois.

With all due respect nothing wrong with French spoken here it is only a matter of accent and local expressions ...I can do both ...talk to Frenchmen their way and joke in Quebecois ...the best of 2worlds ..plus speak English like a New yorker I am told ...plus Spanish and Italian

You should have no problems then with your French as they speak proper French not the Quebecois.

When we talked to the local folks, on our recent trip to F.Poly many do not have 'warm fuzzy feelings' toward the French from France...so I introduced myself as a CDN who speaks french :(

To contact tour operators in Tahiti ?

I gave tried numerous ones...no replies or letter sent back ..wrong emails

Can we find tours beaches. Snorkeling when we get there ....how far are they from where we dock ...is there local transportation to nice places ...language not an issue

Getting this trip on the way is very difficult ..help

First they are fiercely French and second Polynesian.... it is a combination of laidback nonchalant.... "don't do today what you can do next month"

Everything runs at not 1/2 but one quarter speed..and that's just fine. Some weeks they might just decide not to come in and go fishing or surfing...

Second, there are very very few businesses outside the hotels.. except for Bora Bora...( the Orlando of the Pacific) and they have all the work the either want or can handle. There is not the depth that you might expect in the Carribe, south America, Europe, There is not a big interest in tech-no stuff most don't have internet....

and also the ship will have had its agents tieup all the good things for their tours and you will not be allowed to be an independent.

Customer service to most means "you" serving their needs. You will NOT find it easy to pick up tours, snorkel trips etc on arrival there just are not many... it is a VERY small place..

As to beaches...most are private owned by a hotel of village and you have to pay to visit them... and the only good ones are not on the island but in the lagoon..."moutu" where you will find sand rather than mangrove swamp, coral and mud

Transportation in Tahiti proper is easy but on the outer islands can be difficult and very expensive Most have an open air flatbed truck....called "Le Truck" it circles the island...it is not a hop on hop off... cost like $5 each time you get on. the schedule is when the get there and leave....That's the way it runs

In summary, this is a very remote place with a culture that is not at all into western hype and speed. Service will be slow, everything will seem to run at half speed... This is the south pacific ...I lived here for 10 years.. you have to just accept it or it will drive you crazy.

This is a place that if you don't have a totally locked up arrangement ( pay by credit card) chances are 80% that you will not get anything. In the Marquseas that rises to 100%

Good luck and go with the flow...its pointless to worry... give then a month or so... maybe 2 to get back to you

I totally get the manana mentality however I barely have 2months to get my act together

I did get 2responses so far for Nuka Hiva and Bora bora

Can we do things on our own ..I do speak French which should help

Can we hire taxis

Can we go to beaches ?nearby

All i want is to bask in the waters and snorkel to my little hearts content ...is that feasable or a tad difficult

How about Moorea,Raite or Rangiroa ....any people near ship offering visits or transportation to nice places to snorkel ...bus?

Im open to suggestions

Michele

fwiw, we're going to Seville, Cordoba, and Granada next August/Sept pre a river cruise and then staying on in Lisbon. We are having trouble booking many of the tours because they are already sold out! :eek: Multiple ocean liners, tour groups, and other river boat cruises have everything booked up this far in advance! In Spain, any of the tour operators take 36- 48 hours to respond to your emails. So you put in a tour request wait 2-3 days and it comes back denied and told to try another date. Do the process all over again, and it comes back denied again. Finally got a date to work on the third try and nearly 2 weeks later. This is Europe, can only imagine that the islands, with fewer options, are a lot slower by nature.