December/Christmas Onboard

maryann92201

We will be on the same cruise and was really happy to hear John Healds announcement of the caroling, christmas movies, santa mail dropbox and christmas music played through the ship.

We were super glad as well. We love traveling in December. My Mom is hoping the ports will have some decorations as well. Christmas time has always been a big deal in our family. I'm looking forward to hopefully watching from the deck above during a Menorah lighting. I thought it would be nice for the kids to see it. I thought watching from the deck above would be respectful to those who are Jewish and participating.

We were super glad as well. We love traveling in December. My Mom is hoping the ports will have some decorations as well. Christmas time has always been a big deal in our family. I'm looking forward to hopefully watching from the deck above during a Menorah lighting. I thought it would be nice for the kids to see it. I thought watching from the deck above would be respectful to those who are Jewish and participating.

Feel free to be down in the crowd.

Carnival will supply latkes and such. They won't taste like mine or Mom's but, heck, neither one of us are frying up 100s of pounds of potatoes.

You'll probably also be witness to the Great Chanukah Debate-- which way to light the menorah. Left or right, whose left or right. The person in front of or behind the menorah. lol

I'm looking forward to hopefully watching from the deck above during a Menorah lighting. I thought it would be nice for the kids to see it. I thought watching from the deck above would be respectful to those who are Jewish and participating.

Depending on the ship, the Menorah is on the upper level of the Atrium or hidden off to the side.

After the Menorah lighting and songs, latkes (potato pancakes) & sides (applesauce and sour cream), challah and Manischevitz wine are served. None of it is very good, but the cooks try and it is the thought of doing it that counts. There are always non-Jews in line to try the food.

And like all good Jews, there is always arguing about which way to light the candles (or in Carnival's case, turn the lights on):D.

The past 2 December cruises we took, there was a Holiday show on the last Sea Day around 4pm with the kids groups singing and the CD reading The Night Before Christmas. Then, in the Atrium, the tree was lit and it was snowing. There was also an elaborate Gingerbread Village.

I'm doing my first Christmas cruise this year on the Dream. Were in port on Christmas day which will be strange I think, going for a walk around and doing all the sightseeing stuff on Christmas day. Looking forward to it though!

It's not a menorah, it's a Chanukiah. A menorah only has 7 candles to indicate 7 days of the week. A Chanukiah has 9 lights (1 Shamash and 8 days for the holiday).

I find it sad that the Chanukiah has to be hidden off to the side and is treated like a circus by non-Jews. Look kids, lets watch those people celebrate their holiday surrounded by all the Christmas decorations while having to listen to constant Christmas music.

I would love to be able to leave the cold weather behind and vacation during my kids' winter break but the in your face other holiday precludes us from doing that.

We've sailed a few times right after Thanksgiving and would see many decorations around the ship. Each day there would be more! It will put you in the holiday spirit! Enjoy!

Our cruise next year starts in November, but ends December 5th. Do they have decorations up by then or will it most likely not be until the cruise after ours?

My goodness! For most Jews in the USA the lighting takes place on a menorah. IF the word is wrong then it has been wrong in our families for generations!

Not sure why you take offense at people wanting to watch a holiday celebrated that is not their own?

I think it is nice to be able to share with folks of different faiths.

I agree that constant Christmas music gets annoying for those of us who are not Christians. Hopefully the music played won't be totally religious in nature but more of the Rudolf, and Jingle Bells type!

We don't cruise at that time of year for many reasons so hope you can just enjoy the cruises that your family can take during other seasons.

I too thought it was a menorah and I thought I read that the chanukiah and the lighting ceremony would be placed in the lobby and not off in some corner. I am not religious but love the holidays and I for one will make a point to go and watch your ceremony respectfully off on the side somewhere. I will not be mocking it (and very highly doubt anyone else would be either) but more likely enjoying the beauty of seeing a beautiful ceremony and maybe learning something I didn't know before(like the fact that it is called a chanukiah and not a menorah). I'm also pretty sure there will be lots of places to go on the ship that will not be infused with whole ho ho ho spirit.

We've sailed a few times right after Thanksgiving and would see many decorations around the ship. Each day there would be more! It will put you in the holiday spirit! Enjoy!

Oh good! I hadn't even considered that they might be up until this post. Now I'm even more excited. :)

I too thought it was a menorah and I thought I read that the chanukiah and the lighting ceremony would be placed in the lobby and not off in some corner. I am not religious but love the holidays and I for one will make a point to go and watch your ceremony respectfully off on the side somewhere. I will not be mocking it (and very highly doubt anyone else would be either) but more likely enjoying the beauty of seeing a beautiful ceremony and maybe learning something I didn't know before(like the fact that it is called a chanukiah and not a menorah). I'm also pretty sure there will be lots of places to go on the ship that will not be infused with whole ho ho ho spirit.

When I was on the Splendor it was off to the side by the Shore Excursions for part of the cruise. On the first night, it was moved to the Atrium on the other side of the Xmas tree that was there the whole time.

More people know what a Menorah is rather than a Channukiah. Even on the Chabad website it is called a Menorah.

My goodness! For most Jews in the USA the lighting takes place on a menorah. IF the word is wrong then it has been wrong in our families for generations!

Not sure why you take offense at people wanting to watch a holiday celebrated that is not their own?

I think it is nice to be able to share with folks of different faiths.

I agree that constant Christmas music gets annoying for those of us who are not Christians. Hopefully the music played won't be totally religious in nature but more of the Rudolf, and Jingle Bells type!

We don't cruise at that time of year for many reasons so hope you can just enjoy the cruises that your family can take during other seasons.

I take offense because they probably don't know what Hanukkah even means! Do they know why candles are lit at this time of the year? Do they know the significance of 8 candles for 8 nights? I am sure that the story of the Maccabees won't be related each night for non-Jews. I don't appreciate what is meaningful in Jewish history being treated as an after-thought just because it falls in December.

Since it is not typically part of the ceremony to retell the historical story of the Macabees, I wouldn't expect the cruise line to do more than light candles.

If folks want to know more about the holiday it is easy to find information about it. I have often explained things myself to friends who come to our home for Chanukah parties. I think that knowledge about various religions is something that is good to share. I imagine that many folks don't know all the history involved in ceremonies for many many religions around the world.

Cruises like this are for masses of people and they cater to the majority so to me the fact that they even try to bring in Jewish culture is a major positive step!

It's not a menorah, it's a Chanukiah.

I find it sad that the Chanukiah has to be hidden off to the side and is treated like a circus by non-Jews.

I find it even sadder that you can have a Chanukiah but I cant have a nativity scene with a baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph because its considered offensive.

Margie, the nativity scene is never considered to be "offensive". It is just more obviously religious than the decorated Christmas tree. Actually in my opinion ,cruises, as recreational activities, should be free from all specifically religious activities. To me those belong either in people's homes are at their places of worship.

I find it even sadder that you can have a Chanukiah but I cant have a nativity scene with a baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph because its considered offensive.

You already have a Christmas tree why should you get anything else? This sense of Christian entitlement is very offensive to me.

I agree that a cruise should be free from ALL religious activities thereby being inclusive of everyone. I would then be able to have the choice to cruise all year and not just certain months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was a pleasant surprise when we sailed on Holland America last year to learn that every one of their ship sails with a priest and that religious services are conducted every single day. This can be an enormous plus when sailing during religious holidays, like Christmas. I was curious as to why they do this, specially in these times of religious intolerance. More than for the passengers, they do so for their crew members. Whatever the reason, it was a nice departure from what we've experienced on most cruises during the last two decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi