December/Christmas Onboard

maryann92201

It was a pleasant surprise when we sailed on Holland America last year to learn that every one of their ship sails with a priest and that religious services are conducted every single day. This can be an enormous plus when sailing during religious holidays, like Christmas. I was curious as to why they do this, specially in these times of religious intolerance. More than for the passengers, they do so for their crew members. Whatever the reason, it was a nice departure from what we've experienced on most cruises during the last two decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where is the Rabbi, Episcopalian priest, Baptist preacher, etc. i find it hard to believe that the entire crew is Catholic.

I am not intolerant of religion. I am intolerant of the in your face publicness if all things Christian especially the holidays that pervade even my kids pubic schools.

Where is the Rabbi, Episcopalian priest, Baptist preacher, etc. i find it hard to believe that the entire crew is Catholic.

It's overwhelmingly devout Catholic, and that's why that cruise line has chosen to address something that is vital for these crew members, who spend months at sea, without a place to worship, take communion, or attend mass services. I believe that HAL should be applauded for doing something of this nature for these employees that don't get to go home everyday.

I respect your point of view, however this situation is different. That passengers get to benefit from something that HAL does for their employees should be considered something good, not a reason for disharmony or to claim offense or discrimination.

If you ever sail on HAL, a priest onboard won't affect you one bit. Except for that little entry on the daily activities bulletin, you won't even know that they are there. Why make a big deal out of it?

Edited by Tapi

find it sad that the Chanukiah has to be hidden off to the side and is treated like a circus by non-Jews. Look kids, lets watch those people celebrate their holiday surrounded by all the Christmas decorations while having to listen to constant Christmas music.

And you know it's like this on the ship how?

I take offense because they probably don't know what Hanukkah even means!

I am intolerant of the in your face publicness if all things Christian especially the holidays that pervade even my kids pubic schools.

This sense of Christian entitlement is very offensive to me.

It sounds to me like you somewhat enjoy being offended and look for reasons to be so. Good luck with that.

Edited by Stacy_C

I'm an atheist. I'm not offended by either religion being recognized on board during the holidays. If I was on board during the Jewish holidays, I'd attend the lighting ceremony because I am interested in other facets of culture.

The Christmas decorations aren't religious at all. Some red and green here, a nicely decorated tree there, some holly. I don't recall seeing one baby jesus. I don't even remember a lot of christmas music and I've said twice after thanksgiving.

I think it's rather silly to get up in arms over there being so much Christmas stuff. Of course there is, Christianity has been the religion of the majority in the US a very very long time. Of course it's more visible than any other religious holiday.

I take offense because they probably don't know what Hanukkah even means! Do they know why candles are lit at this time of the year? Do they know the significance of 8 candles for 8 nights? I am sure that the story of the Maccabees won't be related each night for non-Jews. I don't appreciate what is meaningful in Jewish history being treated as an after-thought just because it falls in December.

Pardon me, but as an educator, I find your response to this posting absurd. It is beneficial for members of society to be exposed to different religions and cultures. You are acting like people observing the ceremony and taking interest is somehow being disrespectful. If you believe that your ceremony should be private and that Christians and those from other faiths should be barred for lack of understanding, you are out of your dang mind. THAT is the kind of thing that causes damaging stereotypes. As for "being treated as an after-thought," it sounds to me like Carnival pulls out quite a few stops for your holiday, such as serving traditional food for the ceremony. I'm Catholic and I have no expectation of receiving mass while I am on board on Christmas. How nice is it that you have the opportunity to celebrate your religious ceremony on board!

We are going to be in St. Lucia on Christmas day. We are Catholic. It would be nice to have a priest on board to perform a Catholic Mass but we have already decided that we are going to the Catholic Mass at the Catholic Cathedral in Castries. It should be something. We get Mass and a shore excursion all in one.

Edited by rferr

We are going to be in St. Lucia on Christmas day. We are Catholic. It would be nice to have a priest on board to perform a Catholic Mass but we have already decided that we are going to the Catholic Mass at the Catholic Cathedral in Castries. It should be something. We get Mass and a shore excursion all in one.

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!!! Duh! Did not even think about finding a church to visit. We will be in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Christmas Day. It would be very interesting to find a church that is holding mass that day. We happen to be Lutheran baptized/Episcopalian by practice, but would love to find a church to visit. Many years ago, while living in Germany, we attended church on Christmas Eve. I was so excited to sing Silent Night in German (up until the moment the lights were dimmed and we were attempting to read the hymnal by candlelight). It was a wonderful experience for our family. I think I will check with a friend from PR about where we could attend a service without being overly invasive. Thank you for mentioning an idea that I should have considered!

Thought this thread was about celebrating the spirit of the season...not a religious studies debate.

Considering that the "spirit of the season" is based on religion, I believe it's appropriate.

Pardon me, but as an educator, I find your response to this posting absurd. It is beneficial for members of society to be exposed to different religions and cultures. You are acting like people observing the ceremony and taking interest is somehow being disrespectful. If you believe that your ceremony should be private and that Christians and those from other faiths should be barred for lack of understanding, you are out of your dang mind. THAT is the kind of thing that causes damaging stereotypes. As for "being treated as an after-thought," it sounds to me like Carnival pulls out quite a few stops for your holiday, such as serving traditional food for the ceremony. I'm Catholic and I have no expectation of receiving mass while I am on board on Christmas. How nice is it that you have the opportunity to celebrate your religious ceremony on board!

They may be exposing themselves but if they don't know what it is about how is that helpful? I could stand around and watch some people turn on a few light bulbs and sing but if I don't know what it means then it will have no impact and not make me think. I won't have learned a darn thing. Do the people who want to "participate" know that next year Hanukkah won't fall on the same days so if they cruise every year the week of Christmas they may not see the same thing.

I don't think Carnival or any cruise line is trying hard enough. No mention of Hanukkah music being played at all during even the eight days of celebration. If they are going to do something then it should be all inclusive just as they are doing for Christmas. Are they serving latkes every night or only a select one? Why is there a special meal in the dining rooms on Christmas but the traditional Hanukkah brisket meal not served as a special selection? This is why I think they are treating it like an after-thought.

As an educator you should be more concerned that people are actually learning something when they experience something new.

Let's just get one thing straight. Carnival does not celebrate a religious Christmas, let alone a traditional religious Christmas. Carnival celebrates the modern, post-religious mass-media holiday called Christmas. They decorate with holly, decorated trees, Big fat Santa's that give out presents to kids, serve ham on Christmas day, etc. That is not the Christian holiday. There are no special church services, unless there happens to be a member of clergy on board willing to oversee. There is no mention of Jesus or his birth.

So just because Carnival has catered to the mass-media creation of what modern Christmas has become does not mean they cater to Christians.

I have been very considerate up to this point for travelgirlmq's point of view.

Right now though , I have to say that as another Jewish person, even I take offense at your attitude about folks of different faiths watching religious ceremonies! BTW"brisket" is not traditional for all Jews as a meal for Chanukah!! The only "tradition" for food is to eat things cooked/fried in oil! "Latkes" (potato pancakes) are traditional for Jews from Eastern Europe not from the whole world. Nowadays in Israel, sufganiyot(filled doughnuts) are the tradition.

If you cannot understand how nice it is that Carnival tries to demonstrate respect for our holiday in addition to having Christmas decorations and activities, then no one can really explain it to you!

This is one reason that people in the world have trouble getting along!! It is quite sad(IMO)

They may be exposing themselves but if they don't know what it is about how is that helpful? I could stand around and watch some people turn on a few light bulbs and sing but if I don't know what it means then it will have no impact and not make me think. I won't have learned a darn thing. Do the people who want to "participate" know that next year Hanukkah won't fall on the same days so if they cruise every year the week of Christmas they may not see the same thing.

I don't think Carnival or any cruise line is trying hard enough. No mention of Hanukkah music being played at all during even the eight days of celebration. If they are going to do something then it should be all inclusive just as they are doing for Christmas. Are they serving latkes every night or only a select one? Why is there a special meal in the dining rooms on Christmas but the traditional Hanukkah brisket meal not served as a special selection? This is why I think they are treating it like an after-thought.

As an educator you should be more concerned that people are actually learning something when they experience something new.

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE

As an educator, I know that exposure and experiences are VITAL to student learning. I could talk and talk about whatever I want to my 1st graders, but seeing it happening in real life will always be more meaningful.

Christmas Trees and Jingle Bells are NOT religious. The person who posted above me said it best, the Christmas that the ship celebrates is mass market media, NOT the Christian holiday. YOU are actually getting a more religious experience than is afforded to Christians (and I'm not complaining about it!) Until they have a nativity scene and you have to watch the reenactment of the nativity, you can stop complaining.

Santa and Christmas Trees are not religious. Some agnostics and atheists will choose to "do" Santa and Christmas trees and they are NOT Christian.

Your Menorah IS religious.

You are being ignorant. I certainly hope you do not approach your everyday life with the same "me vs. them" attitude you have going on right now.

You already have a Christmas tree why should you get anything else? This sense of Christian entitlement is very offensive to me.

A Christmas Tree is not a religious symbol. I take offense to your sense of entitlement. Why is your religion any different then mine? I however, did not start this thread to debate religion. I was looking to see what my family might encounter on our upcoming cruise. If you want to debate religion please take it elsewhere. There is no need for it here.