Another Crab Shack Question

ready2cruzagain

The menu for Royal Princess was just slightly different than what was in Post #52. I had the Peel and Eat Shrimp, and we asked for a sample of the Mud Bugs, to which they gave us an entire bowl, free of charge. Just ask, and maybe they'll throw in some sausage and extra potatoes. The pictures from Post #57 were from when I ate at the Crab Shack.

15191990983_785646f459_b.jpg

That would be disappointing without the King Crab legs. On the Emerald Princess, that was my favorite part. I wouldn't pay the extra for this menu.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order 2 appetisers and a soup, rather than struggling with trying to crack crab claws (physical disability, travelling alone, and unsure of wrist strength)? I'm happy to double up on the appetiser, I'm a known Shrimp-a-holic! Sad isn't it, but yummy! Have already noted to bring an extra outfit, plod back to the cabin and change, then go to the Laundromat and wash it. I am famed in the family for wearing my food-if anyone clumsily spills their drink, it's usually me!

Crochetcruise :cool:

I had the King Crab and each piece came cut lengthwise and very easy to open and pry the meat out. The bib that is supplied is a HUGE cloth type..will cover your clothes nicely.. its long too! Maybe someone will post a picture of the bib..I'm sure many passengers have been photographed wearing one of those..:eek:

Hi,

My husband really wants to do this but I don't care for crab.Does anyone know if its possible to order the entrees with shrimp and no crab?Thank you!

I'm sure you can order any combination you like.. At least on the Grand, they were very accommodating to any change from the menu.. You can always ask .. go to the Crab Shack on a day prior to your reservation and ask the Head Waiter/Manager to be certain..

I had a bit of information for anyone wanting a window table.. Those that show up first for the 6pm reservations always ask for the windows.. (come at 5:45P) and the windows seem to open up at about 7:30p for the next round...

I noticed the same thing! I wonder if different itineraries offer King Crab where it is more readily available in ports?

No, as it's all frozen and not fresh.

Or it has been on the ships where we have eaten at the Crab Shack.

Mike:)

I have a question. The question is: Is Crab Shack like the other extra cost venues, in that formal wear would be expected on formal nights, or would I not look out of place in an open neck shirt with a blazer. Please don't start taking me to task. I am trying to avoid formal wear, but both of us have enough and simply do not feel like lugging it along. We have always participated in formal night, on 20 plus cruises, but it becomes kind of a pain in the neck.

Neither of us wants to offend anyone by underdressing, but would like to avoid it, and not eat at the buffet.

I have a question. The question is: Is Crab Shack like the other extra cost venues, in that formal wear would be expected on formal nights, or would I not look out of place in an open neck shirt with a blazer. Please don't start taking me to task. I am trying to avoid formal wear, but both of us have enough and simply do not feel like lugging it along. We have always participated in formal night, on 20 plus cruises, but it becomes kind of a pain in the neck.

Neither of us wants to offend anyone by underdressing, but would like to avoid it, and not eat at the buffet.

Yes it is like the other specialty restaurants in that smart casual dress is always proper even on formal evenings.

Mike

Crab Shack was not offered on formal night on my cruise last week, however one of the things I was shocked about was just how, informal the actions of the wait staff were, if an MDR wait staff member had acted like what I saw with the buffet staff at the crab shack they would probably be fired on the spot. This was from the top down, and included such actions as the head waiter / maitre'd putting on his suit coat while walking between the tables, etc. This is not to say that the service was bad, other than being paced very slowly, just that it was an extremely casual environment, even more casual than one would expect at most casual dining restaurants.

Is Crab Shack like the other extra cost venues, in that formal wear would be expected on formal nights, or would I not look out of place in an open neck shirt with a blazer.

On Princess, unlike some other lines, the extra cost venues (specialty restaurants) do not expect formal wear on formal nights. Of course some people do go there in formal attire, but it is definitely not expected. So you would not look out of place dressed as you describe. :)

I had the King Crab and each piece came cut lengthwise and very easy to open and pry the meat out. The bib that is supplied is a HUGE cloth type..will cover your clothes nicely.. its long too! Maybe someone will post a picture of the bib..I'm sure many passengers have been photographed wearing one of those..:eek:

Thank you!

I'll have time to sample another cocktail after a good, filling meal to sop up the alcohol. Already been warned not to start drinking until after afternoon tea (when the sun's over the yardarm) and make sure I alternate with soft drinks and mocktails to minimise getting tipsy! I rarely drink alcohol so wary. And I did note pizza for a late-night snack, a margarita would be very nice indeed!

Please don't shoot me down in flames for being cheeky, but I feel Cruise Critic is like your own personal Tutoring System, a wide variety of interests, abilities and needs so most questions can be quickly and comprehensively answered. Frequently with information I would never have had the chance to learn. I regularly log off feeling a bit of a headache from concentrated reading on a small screen, but do I pick up lots of useful information? Every single time, the headache does nicely as a reminder to take the evening medication and snuggle down to dream of cruising!

I regularly log off feeling a bit of a headache from concentrated reading on a small screen, but do I pick up lots of useful information? Every single time, the headache does nicely as a reminder to take the evening medication and snuggle down to dream of cruising!

32" monitor like mine and problem solved! :)

At the Crab Shack if dh and I were to order the same item, say we both ordered the King Crab Legs with shrimp, would they serve it in one bowl for us to share or would they serve in two bowls.

I am sure they would serve in two bowls if we ordered 2 different menu items but not sure if we ordered the same thing.

We asked for two seperate bowels, and two sets of silverware. Why do you ask? :p

I will be travelling solo in two weeks, do you think I can dine in the Crab Shack solo?:D

Thanks for your help!

Janie

I went solo on the Star Princess in December 2013. I posted my pictures earlier. It was great and they treated me very well. No problem with eating solo.

I've read that on some ships they do not split the crab leg' date=' but on the Grand they do. What was your experience? I want to try it next week on our cruise but my husband doesn't like to have to "work" at eating crab.[/quote']

OK to crack the crab shells with teeth unless he wears dentures. I had to remove my dentures to eat the crab. But, you get a set of crab crackers, and oyster forks to pick out the crab meat from the legs.

Enjoy your crabs. :)

They were not split on Emerald Princess last week, the supplied crackers were nice though, not the cheap kind you find many places. Overall the only real issue I had with cracking was a couple of joints that were too large for the crackers, and a couple of legs that were too soft to crack.