Another Crab Shack Question

ready2cruzagain

Some recent photos from the Crab Shack on the Caribbean Princess . From our thread : Cruising the Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094420&page=18

Menu

4b6d3fda-29cd-42d6-9847-991f1ea070f4_zps8228dec5.jpg

Appetizer

DSC00817-001_zpsc87893d6.jpg

Clam Chowder

DSC00819-001_zps216edc6c.jpg

The Royal's Mixed Steamer

DSC00826-001_zpsc0fbb262.jpg

King Crab

DSC00824-001_zps86e984c0.jpg

Dessert Tray

DSC00829-001_zpsc6eaf1ea.jpg

Does anyone know if it's possible to order 2 appetisers and a soup, rather than struggling with trying to crack crab claws (physical disability, travelling alone, and unsure of wrist strength)? I'm happy to double up on the appetiser, I'm a known Shrimp-a-holic! Sad isn't it, but yummy! Have already noted to bring an extra outfit, plod back to the cabin and change, then go to the Laundromat and wash it. I am famed in the family for wearing my food-if anyone clumsily spills their drink, it's usually me!

Crochetcruise :cool:

I would love to eat here .. problem is hubby hates any seafood that is not coated in batter or comes with a pic of the old captain. So can he grab something from the buffet and eat with me????? Or is it completely separate from the buffet like a regular restaurant ????

When we sailed on the Golden two weeks ago we loved the popcorn shrimp and hush puppies. (Totally battered and deep fried!) And the garlic bread was to die for. :cool: You can order as much as you want of anything you like and I promise you your hubby would be happy with these, and perhaps dessert, and you should certainly feel free to bring whatever he would like into the Crab Shack. They are used to special needs and you are married to one.;) (Kidding, of course;)).

We found the crab legs to be snow crab, not king crab, and so over-salted we couldn't eat them.

They do tie an apron around your neck for those worried about drips.

Bon Appetit!

When we sailed on the Golden two weeks ago we loved the popcorn shrimp and hush puppies. (Totally battered and deep fried!) And the garlic bread was to die for. :cool: You can order as much as you want of anything you like and I promise you your hubby would be happy with these, and perhaps dessert, and you should certainly feel free to bring whatever he would like into the Crab Shack. They are used to special needs and you are married to one.;) (Kidding, of course;)).

We found the crab legs to be snow crab, not king crab, and so over-salted we couldn't eat them.

They do tie an apron around your neck for those worried about drips.

Bon Appetit!

Crochetcruise- Order whatever you like. I'm sure your server would be happy to crack the claws if that is your desire. They strive to please. :D

Thanks for posting the photos. We could not get second seating traditional dining on our upcoming 4-day cruise, so I'm planning on doing the things we don't usually try--including the Crab Shack, Crown Grill, and Sabatini's. That will leave one night to eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, or maybe filling up at the evening cocktail party for Platinum/Elite/suite passengers and at the Stammtisch at Vines.

Here are a few more pictures of the offerings at the Crab Shack (the appetizers were the same as pictured above), these taken aboard Royal Princess last year:

Steam Pot for Two

11245226566_715afc766c_c.jpg

Two regular sized steam pot dishes on the left, and the one on the right is a stream pot for two.

11207874316_57691b5b15_c.jpg

Mud bugs that were requested

11245226596_83bb0f00c2_c.jpg

Peel and eat shrimp

11245226866_58d88f2299_c.jpg

Desert and my cappuccino

11245226876_64935aaaa4_c.jpg

11245227216_5e59956405_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Here are a few more pictures of the offerings at the Crab Shack (the appetizers were the same as pictured above), these taken aboard Royal Princess last year:

Steam Pot for Two

Two regular sized steam pot dishes on the left, and the one on the right is a stream pot for two.

Peel and eat shrimp

Desert and my cappuccino

Now I am really getting hungry...we cruise on the Emerald in 1 week!

The three desserts offered with the Crab Shack are not fixed, but will be selected from those offered in the Horizon Court that evening. That was the case on the Grand and from posted photos from other ships that appears to be the case on all ships with the Crab Shack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Steam Pot for Two

Peel and eat shrimp

Desert and my cappuccino

Oh MY!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

So are you now able to make reservations (or just find out which night(s) it is being offered) on embarkation day by either calling the dine line or at the specialty restaurant desk that afternoon? I recall that when Crab Shack was first launched there were reports of passengers being told that reservations are not taken until the opening on a particular night is printed in the Patter the evening before.

So are you now able to make reservations (or just find out which night(s) it is being offered) on embarkation day by either calling the dine line or at the specialty restaurant desk that afternoon? I recall that when Crab Shack was first launched there were reports of passengers being told that reservations are not taken until the opening on a particular night is printed in the Patter the evening before.

The days offered in the Crab Shack were printed in the patter several times during our 12 day Ruby cruise.

Mike:)

On our Royal cruise , we called the dine line when we got to the cabin. We made reservations for the Crown Grill, Crab Shack and Sabatinis with one phone call. We were given the Crab Shack nights available during the call. There were 4 nights on our 7 day cruise one of which was a formal night. It may be different depending on the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We ate in the Crab Shack on the Grand Princess just a few weeks ago.. They used a side aft of the Horizon Court.. the staff was excellent..as well as the food.. As a Celiac, I have very serious food allergies (gluten & dairy) and the kitchen was extremely accommodating .. They prepared me King Crab and shrimp ONLY with specific seasoning that I could have, lemon on the side instead of butter.. Obviously two bowls. Huge ones!

I had seen the ads for Crab Shack on many Princess ships, but never thought I would be able to enjoy this seafood feast.. For other Celiacs out there.. you can. (Hint: I could not have any shellfish because someone in food service told me that some suppliers of frozen clams and mussels, use a combination of wheat flour & others to clean the fresh shellfish before rinsing and packaging..so be careful)

I realize this is a little off subject, but important for a small group of readers..

I'm taking my teen son next week on Caribbean princess, he is recently gluten free so glad to hear that as he has been nagging about what he can eat.

I had no idea they would use wheat to clean the shellfish.

Did they have gluten free rolls etc onboard?

So someone said their crab legs were not King Crab but Snow. Are they suppose to be Alaska King Crab? That is a BIg difference from Snow Crab which every Chinese Restaurant in our area serve on a buffet. I saw the menu which gives options for either snow or king crab. I would hope if you ordered King crab that is what you would get.

Do you get refills as to as much as you want to eat while eating King Crab?

thanks for the info.

So someone said their crab legs were not King Crab but Snow. Are they suppose to be Alaska King Crab? That is a BIg difference from Snow Crab which every Chinese Restaurant in our area serve on a buffet. I saw the menu which gives options for either snow or king crab. I would hope if you ordered King crab that is what you would get.

Do you get refills as to as much as you want to eat while eating King Crab?

thanks for the info.

See the menu in post #52.

That is the menu we had two weeks ago onboard the Ruby and we ate King Crab. Yes they offered to bring more of everything but we declined as there was more food than we could eat.

Mike:)

I just made it home from our 5 day aboard Emerald Princess, here are a few follow up thoughts to add to my quick onboard post meal review from a couple of pages ago, and an attempt to answer a few of the questions that were asked.

1st Crab Shack was offered twice on our 5 day cruise (the last 2 days), reservations were suggested, but not required, we ate there at 8 pm on the first available night with no reservation, and no wait (no one in line ahead of us). Note that the crab shack was NOT listed as a dining venue with the regular list of dining locations and hours in the patter, instead it was only listed in one of the business card style ads. As mentioned above service pacing was VERY slow, and our main dish (bucket) was served about an hour after we were seated. (we opted for king crab and boiled shrimp, there was also a snow crab combo, but I think it had sausage mixed in). The food was technically well cooked, nothing was over or under cooked, etc. but I was a bit disappointed with the flavor profile. The appetizer was advertised as popcorn shrimp and hush puppies, in reality the shrimp were MUCH larger than what is typically considered popcorn shrimp, and I think pan fried in a beer batter (probably the best part of the meal) the the hush puppies were nothing more than fried cornbread balls. The mandatory soup was New York style clam chowder in a weak tomato base, again not bad, but I prefer New England clam chowder, also the clam bits were a bit small. The main course once it arrived provided plenty of food for the two of us, with a mix of crab legs, shrimp, potatoes and mini ears of corn. The seasoning was fairly well done here, the corn was a bit over cooked, but the rest was good. My only possible complaint about the main course was that the shrimp had very thin soft shells making them a bit hard to peel.

Since everyone is posting their Crab Shack pictures, here are mine. This is from the Star Princess 12/2013. It was the best meal I had on the ship during the two weeks I was on the ship. I'll be trying it again on the Grand Princess soon and hope the food is just as good.

By the way, I did make reservations, but I think you could have walked up and gotten a table. My crab legs were not pre-split, but they has wonderful snippers that made it really easy.

DSCN1606.jpg.5b3e5508720fd0e6a8e2f11012c135d4.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg.9593c1a64bb1d29ad5de901bac8122d7.jpg

DSCN1613.jpg.e8cdca647461bc8f8876c8c38793d7bd.jpg

DSCN1615.jpg.bde221847a6b043486bdacefcd890352.jpg

Edited by KruzPrincess

Crochetcruise- Order whatever you like. I'm sure your server would be happy to crack the claws if that is your desire. They strive to please. :D

Thanks, that's great news. I thought so, but I've never actually been on a cruise ship, only the Manly Ferry in Sydney Harbour and there's a HUGEdifference.

Have been sorting my wardrobe, and there's very little I need to buy, only the stockings that get holes and need replacing, so I will put everything in the case ready-I have more than enough clothes to do so, isn't it tragic? I buy on special, and being an awkward size, and preferring certain colours that aren't always available, tend to buy multiples of an item, and store against future need. Some items have been culled to the local charity store, my needs have changed and they are no longer relevant, someone else can enjoy them!

Crochetcruise :cool:

Hi,

My husband really wants to do this but I don't care for crab.Does anyone know if its possible to order the entrees with shrimp and no crab? Thank you!

The menu for Royal Princess was just slightly different than what was in Post #52. I had the Peel and Eat Shrimp, and we asked for a sample of the Mud Bugs, to which they gave us an entire bowl, free of charge. Just ask, and maybe they'll throw in some sausage and extra potatoes. The pictures from Post #57 were from when I ate at the Crab Shack.

15191990983_785646f459_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

The menu for Royal Princess was just slightly different than what was in Post #52. I had the Peel and Eat Shrimp, and we asked for a sample of the Mud Bugs, to which they gave us an entire bowl, free of charge. Just ask, and maybe they'll throw in some sausage and extra potatoes. The pictures from Post #57 were from when I ate at the Crab Shack.

15191990983_785646f459_b.jpg

I notice the King crab legs are missing. :(