Will this be better than RCCL excurison? Do I even need to book an excursion?

Jessie2013

I'm excitedly ready to book excursions for our upcoming cruise NEXT MONTH! :) This is extra exciting because it's my in-law's first cruise & our retirement gift to them. The anticipation is building rapidly!

We'll be in St. Thomas on December 17, RCCL FOS. I'm not seeing anything that I want on RCCL site for excursions. I basically want to go up to the Mountain Top to see the beautiful view, stop at a few scenic stops on the way up there & be left at Charlotte Amalie at the end for shopping.

Unless I'm missing it, I don't see that RCCL offers anything like that? However, on our TA's website I found an excursion that meets my needs. It's $50 pp and I'll have 5 people. Is it necessary to spend $250 total for the 5 of us to be taken on that route? Is there another option?

If we can arrange transportation from the pier to take us up there, what will the transportation be? We'll have myself, hubby, 4 year old son & in laws. We will all need to be together in one vehicle. How much will it cost? Thank you, thank you!

This is the description of the excursion that appeals to me:

This is a two-hour orientation tour of St. Thomas, with stops at some of the island's highlights and exciting views of the island itself.

St. Thomas is a mountainous island with one long ridge of hills running east and west through the center of the island, with smaller ridges branching off. The island is thirteen miles long by four miles wide, encompassing a little over 31 square miles. The highest point is Crown Mountain at 1,556 feet.

St. Thomas has a history that dates back to 1500 B.C. and the Ciboney people. They were replaced by the Arawaks and then the Caribes, long before Christopher Columbus first saw the island in 1493 on his second voyage to the “New World.” Unfortunately, almost all signs of the pre-Columbus days have been lost to time.

Most of the structures and ruins that remain date from the 16th and 17th century and include Blackbeard's Castle (Skytsborg), Fort Christian and Bluebeard’s Castle (Tower Fort). During your scenic orientation drive you will be able to see them on nearby hilltops.

Riding along the crest of St. Thomas on "Skyline Drive," visitors are treated to vistas of Charlotte Amalie town, harbor as well as Hassel and Water Islands to the south; the Atlantic Ocean, Magens Bay and Inner and Outer Brass and Hans Lollick islands to the north; and the chain of cays leading to St. John and the British Virgins to the east.

Your driver/guide will make stops at various scenic overlooks as traffic / safety allows. You will pass by Drake's Seat, believed to be the spot where Sir Francis Drake himself watched for enemy vessels. A stop will be made at Mountain Top, where you will take in the most amazing views from the balcony of the shopping arcade, and if you choose, purchase a “world-famous” banana daiquiri.

At the end of the two-hour driving orientation, you will have the option of being dropped off in downtown Charlotte Amalie to experience its world-famous shopping or be taken back to the cruise ship dock.

Please Note: Guests departing in downtown will be responsible for their transportation back to their destination. Depending on the number of guests participating, tour will be conducted in vans or open air safari buses.

In our experience you can almost always find people as you get off the ship to take you on a tour of the island. If you know what you want to see tell them and see if they will do it and the cost. You don't have to take the first one if you don't like the price or they won't take you where you want to go. Usually when our family is along (5 of us) they will give you a better price, but just my hubby and I took a 2 hour tour in St Thomas in 2012 for $25 per person. Since we had been there before we wanted dropped off at Coki beach but then had to pay our own transportation back to the ship $9 pp

We found a driver (Van cab) to take us to Mountaintop for $10 a piece. But then we had to find another driver to take us back. $15/2 That was a Safari cab.

The first driver told us it was just a drop off. She wasn't going to wait for 2 people and wanted to find other fares.

We probably spent about 3 hours at Mountaintop, enjoying the view and shopping and drinking. It was a nice afternoon. :)