Alaska Cruise Basics

thecruiserofships

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about 2016 - only a few lines have those itineraries released.

But for 2015

Carnival will have the Legend as their AK ship.

Princess will have 7 ships:

Grand, Pacific, Coral,& Star Princess doing the 7day one way Voyage of the Glaciers - Van to Whittier.

Ruby and Crown Princess doing RT out of Seattle Ruby will be doing Tracy Arm the Crown will do Glacier Bay.

Golden Princess RT out of San Francisco.

Edited by bonvoyagie

Is there any chance that the Daily Alaska Cruise Tip will start earlier than March?

Also, do you know which Carnival or Princess ships will cruise Alaska in 2016?

I could potentially start the daily Alaska cruise tip in late Feb. 2015, but I will for sure start by March 1, 2015.

See what bonvoyagie wrote for the itineraries part of your question.

But for 2015

Grand, Pacific, Coral,& Star Princess doing the 7day one way Voyage of the Glaciers - Van to Whittier.

Ruby and Crown Princess doing RT out of Seattle Ruby will be doing Tracy Arm the Crown will do Glacier Bay.

Thank you for responding on my behalf!

2016 itineraries should be coming out in the upcoming few months.

I could potentially start the daily Alaska cruise tip in late Feb. 2015, but I will for sure start by March 1, 2015.

Hey that's ok, can understand there's no firedrill in starting the daily Alaska cruise tip.:)

But for 2015

Thank you for letting me know. 2016 itineraries are supposedly coming out in the Spring, according to other areas of the boards.

I understand that you will not start until March. It's ok! Thank you for all the work you put into the site for us to enjoy and learn more about Alaska. It has all been helpful.

I just found your post and website. Thank you so much - I found it very helpful in narrowing down what we will be doing this June. We only have a short day in Juneau and I was hoping to do whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier. Now I think I want to do the tram as well! If we can fit it all in it will definitely be a fun packed day!

Hey that's ok, can understand there's no firedrill in starting the daily Alaska cruise tip.:)

Thanks for understanding! I wish others were as patient and understanding as you!

I just found your post and website. Thank you so much - I found it very helpful in narrowing down what we will be doing this June. We only have a short day in Juneau and I was hoping to do whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier. Now I think I want to do the tram as well! If we can fit it all in it will definitely be a fun packed day!

That sounds like a fun day in Juneau! I really enjoyed the tramway and it was worth every penny. If the weather is not good on your day in Juneau I would advise against the tramway because you will not get as good of a view. Have a great cruise and enjoy your stop in Juneau!

Edited by thecruiserofships

Two seasons ago (2013) I got the amazing privilege of taking an Alaska cruise vacation and really enjoyed Alaska and the cruise.

Since then I (mostly me) and a close family member have spent time writing Alaska tips and posting them on my blog. I shared this here last year around this time to help those that were indecisive about planning for their Alaska cruise vacation or just wanted something to read about Alaska.

I thought I would share this here again this year instead of the typical blog/website section because the information I share pertains specifically to the people here. I try to give tips that can be applied to any cruise line or itinerary, but I also give some itinerary specific information too!

http://www.embarkandaway.com/alaska.html

Please enjoy and ask questions!

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions write away!

We have a long stop in Juneau and rented a car. What are your must see/dos with the car? Also, was thinking of doing the salmon bake in Juneau is that a waste since we have the car? Thank you!

What a wonderful blog of information for Alaska cruisers! The first time we went to Alaska we went without info from Cruise Critic. What a difference the next Alaska cruises were with all of the wonderful informative info provided by fellow cruisers! :)

Edited by luvlake

We have a long stop in Juneau and rented a car. What are your must see/dos with the car? Also, was thinking of doing the salmon bake in Juneau is that a waste since we have the car? Thank you!

Personally, if I were renting a car in Juneau, I would first drive into the downtown area and do the state capital tour. When I went it was free and didn't take too long. It was very informational and something I enjoyed. Here are some official details from the State of Alaska about this tour:

http://w3.akleg.gov/pages/capitol.php

Since you will have a car make sure you take advantage of the fact that you can just drive around the town to look around. You could also stop at some downtown shops if you enjoy port of call shopping.

As for salmon bake, I can't really answer this because I am highly biased against eating salmon. I don't like it!! :) If this is something that you really want to do, I wouldn't consider it a waste, but make sure you enjoy having the car you rented for the day too.

If you still have some spare time consider the Mt. Robert's Tramway or driving to the Mendenhall Glacier. I sure you can easily find a map that would help you get to both of these places.

These are just a few suggestions and if you need more things to do to fill your time there is a visitors center in Juneau that had very helpful staff when I visited.

Keep in mind as you plan your day that you will have to worry about finding parking for your rental car and it may cost a little bit of money to park!

I hope this helps and have a great cruise!

What a wonderful blog of information for Alaska cruisers! The first time we went to Alaska we went without info from Cruise Critic. What a difference the next Alaska cruises were with all of the wonderful informative info provided by fellow cruisers! :)

Thank you for the compliment!

My first 4 cruises were spent without knowing about Cruise Critic. When I found this site I felt like I found a pot of gold!! Cruise Critic is full of useful information and resources for cruisers to use.

Thank you for the compliment!

My first 4 cruises were spent without knowing about Cruise Critic. When I found this site I felt like I found a pot of gold!! Cruise Critic is full of useful information and resources for cruisers to use.

Yup, I agree with all of you, didn't even know there was a search button for Alaska, here on CC, but now that I know, well got lots of info now. The last time, I was up in Ketchikan, took a tour, then ran over to Creek St, saw a few things then went back to the ship. Never knew about the visitors center, sure was blind then, so to speak. Am now doing all the research that I can.

Yup, I agree with all of you, didn't even know there was a search button for Alaska, here on CC, but now that I know, well got lots of info now. The last time, I was up in Ketchikan, took a tour, then ran over to Creek St, saw a few things then went back to the ship. Never knew about the visitors center, sure was blind then, so to speak. Am now doing all the research that I can.

Before I created an account here on Cruise Critic I just lurked around until became frustrated I couldn't view roll calls, photos, or attachments on threads. I gave in and created an account and since then I have been happy I did.

A long time ago I tried writing a review here and could never get my pictures to load (I still can't get pictures to load onto threads). That is one of the reasons why I started my website because I wanted to be able to easily share my photos with others.

Personally, if I were renting a car in Juneau, I would first drive into the downtown area and do the state capital tour. When I went it was free and didn't take too long. It was very informational and something I enjoyed. Here are some official details from the State of Alaska about this tour:

http://w3.akleg.gov/pages/capitol.php

Since you will have a car make sure you take advantage of the fact that you can just drive around the town to look around. You could also stop at some downtown shops if you enjoy port of call shopping.

As for salmon bake, I can't really answer this because I am highly biased against eating salmon. I don't like it!! :) If this is something that you really want to do, I wouldn't consider it a waste, but make sure you enjoy having the car you rented for the day too.

If you still have some spare time consider the Mt. Robert's Tramway or driving to the Mendenhall Glacier. I sure you can easily find a map that would help you get to both of these places.

These are just a few suggestions and if you need more things to do to fill your time there is a visitors center in Juneau that had very helpful staff when I visited.

Keep in mind as you plan your day that you will have to worry about finding parking for your rental car and it may cost a little bit of money to park!

I hope this helps and have a great cruise!

These are good suggestions, but I would also suggest looking into driving to the Mendenhall Glacier.

How many times have you been to Alaska?

I have cruised Alaska once on the Carnival Miracle in 2013. I hope to return many more times to Alaska because it was a great experience and the sights were amazing. As I mentioned in this thread's first post, I have received some help in my writing from a family member whom has cruised Alaska multiple times on different cruise lines. She also did a land tour before her cruise.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to help you or anyone with questions. Have a great weekend! :)

Parking in downtown Juneau is at a premium at best. The museums and other attractions are in doable walking distance, barring any mobility issues. I'd save those types of things til later in the day when you return the car. And I'd highly recommend a stop at Tracy's Crab Shack (new location right in town, so be sure to Google it) for some killer crab legs, crab cakes and crab bisque. Expensive, no doubt, but the food doesn't suck;), so well worth it to us!

After renting a car in Juneau on several occassions, some of our 'go to' stops include the Mendenhall Glacier visitor's center w/a walk to the falls, and then a stop at the Skater's Cabin (for a different perspective of the glacier), out to 'the end of the road' with a stop at Eagle Beach (where we've always seen a ton of eagles, the stream teaming w/salmon during the runs, and just some stellar views), the fish hatchery (particularly when the salmon are running - look for the sealions at the beginning of the salmon ladder with their own private buffet:p), the Shrine of Theresa (where you may see whales from shore if you're lucky), the brewery (check times - they closed at 6PM when we were last there in 2011), and then over to Douglas Island, which has a lot to offer itself.

Have fun!

Parking in downtown Juneau is at a premium at best. The museums and other attractions are in doable walking distance, barring any mobility issues. I'd save those types of things til later in the day when you return the car. And I'd highly recommend a stop at Tracy's Crab Shack (new location right in town, so be sure to Google it) for some killer crab legs, crab cakes and crab bisque. Expensive, no doubt, but the food doesn't suck;), so well worth it to us!

After renting a car in Juneau on several occassions, some of our 'go to' stops include the Mendenhall Glacier visitor's center w/a walk to the falls, and then a stop at the Skater's Cabin (for a different perspective of the glacier), out to 'the end of the road' with a stop at Eagle Beach (where we've always seen a ton of eagles, the stream teaming w/salmon during the runs, and just some stellar views), the fish hatchery (particularly when the salmon are running - look for the sealions at the beginning of the salmon ladder with their own private buffet:p), the Shrine of Theresa (where you may see whales from shore if you're lucky), the brewery (check times - they closed at 6PM when we were last there in 2011), and then over to Douglas Island, which has a lot to offer itself.

Have fun!

Good information! I hope "lovetotraveltx" sees all of these posts with responses.

Eagle Beach sounds enjoyable. I will have to put that on my list of things to visit for the next time I go to Alaska.

@ thecruiserofships

When you cruised on the C. Miracle did your ship have a naturalist?

Thanks,

funcruiser1234

Yes, me cruise did. I believe Carnival tries to have a naturalist every season, but don't quote me on this because I don't know for sure if it is a standard Alaska procedure.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

For those that have been wondering 2016 itineraries are starting to appear. I believe Holland America, Norwegian, and Celebrity have their itineraries out. Last I looked, Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean don't yet.

I know we had been discussing this on here, so I thought I would share. I'm guessing Carnival will keep the Legend doing Alaska in 2016, but that is not yet official.