Pacific Princess Cabin choice

jilly08

I am trying to decide which cabin I should choose for my FP cruise on Pacific Princess.

I currently have cabin 6036 which is an obstructed view--with a pretty decent view between life boats. However, it's a sideways cabin and does not have a sofa.

My other choice--for the same price, is a porthole cabin on deck 3 and I was told these cabins do have a sofa.

How do these cabins compare in size?

I'd like some opinions. All of the obstructed cabins with a reasonable view on deck 6 are now sold. There are quite a few porthole cabins left.

Thanks!

Jill

I am trying to decide which cabin I should choose for my FP cruise on Pacific Princess.

I currently have cabin 6036 which is an obstructed view--with a pretty decent view between life boats. However, it's a sideways cabin and does not have a sofa.

My other choice--for the same price, is a porthole cabin on deck 3 and I was told these cabins do have a sofa.

How do these cabins compare in size?

I'd like some opinions. All of the obstructed cabins with a reasonable view on deck 6 are now sold. There are quite a few porthole cabins left.

Thanks!

Jill

I haven't sailed in the deck 3 cabins (though I have been on the Pacific Princess.) The people I have talked to who were in them say they are quite nice, cozy and quiet. There are some pictures somewhere I have seen of them.

You will have more room on deck 3 then you will with the sideways cabin.

The deck 3 cabins have the sofas (really love seats). The sideways deck 6 cabins are smaller, and do not have the sofas.

Also, 6036 is odd as it is surrounded by blank space (per the deck plan), which is really cabins assigned to entertainers, as I understand it.

I had been curious so I asked the Circle Host about the cabin and the blank space.

I had been upgraded from an inside, into that cabin. I got switched to deck 3. Ultimately, I got upgraded to full outside deck 4 cabin, before cruising.

The deck 3 cabins have the sofas (really love seats). The sideways deck 6 cabins are smaller, and do not have the sofas.

Also, 6036 is odd as it is surrounded by blank space (per the deck plan), which is really cabins assigned to entertainers, as I understand it.

I had been curious so I asked the Circle Host about the cabin and the blank space.

I had been upgraded from an inside, into that cabin. I got switched to deck 3. Ultimately, I got upgraded to full outside deck 4 cabin, before cruising.

We have been in the first balcony behind this area and the blank space is for entertainers. The lead dancers/entertainers have been there as well as some of the features entertainers.

I found deck 4 and below to be a little musty on the Pacific Princess last winter. Probably because they don't get enough fresh air turnover. I have allergies and asthma so I may be more sensitive than most. I think they replaced the carpet when it was in Vancouver in May so that may not be a problem now. I prefer decks that have some balconies on them so there is more opportunity for airing out. The sofa is nice in most of the Pacific Princess staterooms, although my hubs usually takes it over with his loom.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

6036 is a decent(ish) cabin for an obstr. OV (there is less view than decent obstr. OVs on bigger ships) but very small - about 140sq ft

Deck 3 cabins are bigger but if the seas are rough, the steward will close the porthole cover so that you will then have, effectively, an inside cabin.

Depends if more space and a sofa is more important to you than the (smallish) risk of having no daylight.

And, altho' this isn't a big ship so deck 3 isn't too far away, I find deck 6 a convenient location - it's so close to everywhere.

Edited by jollyjones

6036 is a decent(ish) cabin for an obstr. OV (there is less view than decent obstr. OVs on bigger ships) but very small - about 140sq ft

Deck 3 cabins are bigger but if the seas are rough, the steward will close the porthole cover so that you will then have, effectively, an inside cabin.

Depends if more space and a sofa is more important to you than the (smallish) risk of having no daylight.

And, altho' this isn't a big ship so deck 3 isn't too far away, I find deck 6 a convenient location - it's so close to everywhere.

Thanks Jolly! I guess I should have said, I am a solo cruiser. Perhaps people's opinions would be different.

I am slightly concerned about the life boats banging up against the side of the ship all night. That happened on another cruise line......

Honestly, I'm leaning toward a porthole cabin.

Jill

Edited by jilly08

We have done our last 6 cruises in a row on Pacific and Ocean Princesses. We love these ships and we always book an obstructed OV Guarantee cabin. We have yet to be assigned one of the deck 6 Obstructed OV cabins, we always get deck 3 if we aren't upgraded to something better.

We love deck 3, nice and quiet down there! We have had 2 days out of the 22 days spent on deck 3 where the port holes were closed. I am sure deck 6 would be nice as well and I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as the lifeboats banging against the side if the ship! I have watched them load and unload the tenders a lot and can say without any hesitation that that they aren't going anywhere.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

We have done our last 6 cruises in a row on Pacific and Ocean Princesses. We love these ships and we always book an obstructed OV Guarantee cabin. We have yet to be assigned one of the deck 6 Obstructed OV cabins, we always get deck 3 if we aren't upgraded to something better.

We love deck 3, nice and quiet down there! We have had 2 days out of the 22 days spent on deck 3 where the port holes were closed. I am sure deck 6 would be nice as well and I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as the lifeboats banging against the side if the ship! I have watched them load and unload the tenders a lot and can say without any hesitation that that they aren't going anywhere.

Terry

Thank you for that information Terry.

Jill

Thanks Jolly! I guess I should have said, I am a solo cruiser. Perhaps people's opinions would be different.

I am slightly concerned about the life boats banging up against the side of the ship all night. That happened on another cruise line......

Honestly, I'm leaning toward a porthole cabin.

Jill

I'm a solo cruiser too and the deck 6 cabins are fine for me because I never really use a sofa, I always sprawl on the bed to read. OTOH, I am claustrophobic and the risk of having the porthole cover shut keeps me away from deck 3, otherwise I'd have no real problem down there.

No banging lifeboats on deck 6!

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

I am still undecided!! If I wait long enough, the decision will be made for me as more cabins are sold. :)

Jill

You might try and princess and see if you can change rooms. I have been looking and there are a lot of balcony rooms not sold out on floor 7. I am on floor 7 and am a platium member and hoping to be upgraded to a mini suite. They may also upgrade you for a small increase the closer we get to leaving.

I'm a solo cruiser too and the deck 6 cabins are fine for me because I never really use a sofa, I always sprawl on the bed to read. OTOH, I am claustrophobic and the risk of having the porthole cover shut keeps me away from deck 3, otherwise I'd have no real problem down there.

No banging lifeboats on deck 6!

Hi Jolly, Do you happen to have any pictures of the deck 6 obstructed cabins? I'm having a hard time picturing how they are configured.

thanks,

Jill

Hi Jolly, Do you happen to have any pictures of the deck 6 obstructed cabins? I'm having a hard time picturing how they are configured.

thanks,

Jill

No pictures, sorry, and I have to make a small confession in that I am talking about Oceania's Regatta but all the R class ships are the same, there's no real way that Princess would have configured the cabin differently, there isn't room.

As you enter, the bed takes up pretty much all the space to one side of the door, headboard up against the wall adjoining the next cabin (no noise issue tho'), and the bathroom is to the other side. Beyond the bathroom on the end wall (the one adjoining the cabin on the other side) is a fairly spacious closet, and the desk/vanity/whatever is on the outside wall between the closet and the bed. The window is over the bed. I had a small round table in the space between the bathroom and the desk, not sure what Princess offers, as a solo I didn't use it and the cabin would have been much more spacious without it.

OP, is this for your Pacific Princess cruise in September 2015? If so, I would say keep an eye on the prices and see if you can get upped to a balcony. From what I understand, the views of French Polynesia are totally worth it--especially if you get a deal.

Here's what happened to us: Because we had our hearts set on a holiday sailing, we thought we'd only be able to afford an interior room. The cruise was pricey, but we booked it and just hoped for a price drop. Well, we got our wish. There was a massive price drop on Memorial Day weekend, so I called to get a price adjustment--which Princess was happy to grant us. That dropped the price of the cruise in HALF. Unfortunately, at that point they only dropped the interior staterooms and the oceanview rooms. They did not discount the balconies. Although we could have upgraded to the oceanview room, we decided not to pay extra just for the porthole.

Months pass, but I kept an eye on the prices, hoping that maybe the balcony stateroom prices would drop. Again, we got lucky. Not long after our final payment deadline there was a massive price drop on the balcony staterooms. It ended up being just $200pp more than we paid for the interior room (for most of the year it had been nearly $1500pp more for a balcony), so we called in and asked for an upgrade. The first Princess rep I spoke with wasn't able to accommodate the change, so I asked to speak to a manager. At first they offered to upgrade me to an obstructed ocean view stateroom for free. When I explained that I was willing to pay for an upgrade to a balcony at the new guest price, she immediately upgraded us and charged my card the difference. We ended up with a really nice balcony stateroom on a holiday sailing for the same cost as an obstructed ocean view stateroom.

So...as I said, keep an eye on the prices and see if you can get upped to a balcony as it gets closer to your cruise date. We saved a ton of money and got a far nicer stateroom because we kept an eye on the prices.

OP, is this for your Pacific Princess cruise in September 2015? If so, I would say keep an eye on the prices and see if you can get upped to a balcony. From what I understand, the views of French Polynesia are totally worth it--especially if you get a deal.

Here's what happened to us: Because we had our hearts set on a holiday sailing, we thought we'd only be able to afford an interior room. The cruise was pricey, but we booked it and just hoped for a price drop. Well, we got our wish. There was a massive price drop on Memorial Day weekend, so I called to get a price adjustment--which Princess was happy to grant us. That dropped the price of the cruise in HALF. Unfortunately, at that point they only dropped the interior staterooms and the oceanview rooms. They did not discount the balconies. Although we could have upgraded to the oceanview room, we decided not to pay extra just for the porthole.

Months pass, but I kept an eye on the prices, hoping that maybe the balcony stateroom prices would drop. Again, we got lucky. Not long after our final payment deadline there was a massive price drop on the balcony staterooms. It ended up being just $200pp more than we paid for the interior room (for most of the year it had been nearly $1500pp more for a balcony), so we called in and asked for an upgrade. The first Princess rep I spoke with wasn't able to accommodate the change, so I asked to speak to a manager. At first they offered to upgrade me to an obstructed ocean view stateroom for free. When I explained that I was willing to pay for an upgrade to a balcony at the new guest price, she immediately upgraded us and charged my card the difference. We ended up with a really nice balcony stateroom on a holiday sailing for the same cost as an obstructed ocean view stateroom.

So...as I said, keep an eye on the prices and see if you can get upped to a balcony as it gets closer to your cruise date. We saved a ton of money and got a far nicer stateroom because we kept an eye on the prices.

Thank you for that advice. I will watch prices!

Edited by jilly08