Emerald Princess Still In Houston

R&S

We have pulled away from the dock and tugs are fighting to keep us in the channel. Captain says we have 4 tugs helping us. We had to do a 120 degree turn once we pulled away from the dock. Our cabin is on the very back of the ship and we have a tug tied up to the back that is trying to keep us straight. Captain said it would take about 2 1/2 hours to get through the channel. Dang it's COLD out there!

Just spoke to Princess. I too am on the cruise leaving on the 7th and was concerned that I saw no change from the bridge cam this morning. So I called and the rep said it was a strong wind delay. They're on their way now.. but they haven't made any call on what will be dropped from the itinerary due to the delay. We've never gone out of Houston before, and this makes me fairly certain that we won't again. Crossing my fingers for the 7th!

Sounds like they are playing it safe, we only had 2 tugs last Tuesday and as I mentioned in a post a few hours ago at one point during a particularly strong gust of wind the starboard side tug was being pushed backwards near the edge of the channel while it was at full throttle.

[quote name='Topo Gigio']Looks like you are going to miss Roatan or another port of call.[/QUOTE]

Looks the the emerald princess has finally sailed ...I spoke to both princess and the port authority ... Seas and very high winds where the problem ... Were leaving next Sunday hope we don't have issues like this ... It seems that at this time of the year fog plays a roll why don't they just move the sail time ???

[quote name='SLCfirsttimer']Any word on missed ports and if compensation for the delay is being given?[/QUOTE]

I will be sailing out on the EP on the Nov 30th cruise, and had considered doing a B2B for the 7th. :eek: Being at the dock wouldn't be so bad if it was 75 degrees - like south Florida - but we won't go out on the balcony with the cold winds Houston is having now. If there are OBC/ future credits/ or compensation provided by Princess for this current cruise would someone mention it later? Might be good to know (not that they can afford to do it every cruise).
And thanks for the advice about the wine - we will definitely bring some. :D

[quote name='flip side of fifty']I will be sailing out on the EP on the Nov 30th cruise, and had considered doing a B2B for the 7th. :eek: Being at the dock wouldn't be so bad if it was 75 degrees - like south Florida - but we won't go out on the balcony with the cold winds Houston is having now. If there are OBC/ future credits/ or compensation provided by Princess for this current cruise would someone mention it later? Might be good to know (not that they can afford to do it every cruise).
And thanks for the advice about the wine - we will definitely bring some. :D[/quote]

I am on the same sailing as you, am trying to keep the good thoughts going for our sailing :) As we get closer I am obsessively checking the extended forecast and hoping to see some higher temps and clear skies.

Not exactly, but close I understand, the fees end up being quite under the average for other ports (when all is factored in like labor). There was some discussion of this last year when there was that issue with the spill that blocked the channel and several ships were stuck.

[quote name='QueenofEverything']Pretty sure the port is actually paying Princess to use Bayport[/quote]

I can't believe some of you people. Did you get a refund ? - did they compensate you ? - let us know if there is an obc, future credits or compensation offered from Princess. Since when has Princess been responsible for the weather???

Just like hurricane cruises. It has been all over cc that Bayport had weather issues last year and also if you are cruising during hurricane season, you could have issues. So, why did you book a cruise when you knew there could be a chance of issues. And why didn't you purchase insurance? Oh, that's right, you booked a cheap inside and are hoping Princess will compensate you so it will turn into a free cruise.

I'd be fired as a customer service rep for Princess if you called and asked for compensation because of weather.

And Traveler67 - I agree with you - see no reason to get rattled about a cruise you are not on and to call Princess. Or call a news station.

That is probably why the noro outbreak news is all over the internet - someone called a news station. Why do people have to be the FIRST to post bad news or rumors about things?

[quote name='mysaddlebred000']I can't believe some of you people. Did you get a refund ? - did they compensate you ? - let us know if there is an obc, future credits or compensation offered from Princess. Since when has Princess been responsible for the weather???

Just like hurricane cruises. It has been all over cc that Bayport had weather issues last year and also if you are cruising during hurricane season, you could have issues. So, why did you book a cruise when you knew there could be a chance of issues. And why didn't you purchase insurance? Oh, that's right, you booked a cheap inside and are hoping Princess will compensate you so it will turn into a free cruise.

I'd be fired as a customer service rep for Princess if you called and asked for compensation because of weather.

And Traveler67 - I agree with you - see no reason to get rattled about a cruise you are not on and to call Princess. Or call a news station.

That is probably why the noro outbreak news is all over the internet - someone called a news station. Why do people have to be the FIRST to post bad news or rumors about things?[/QUOTE]

Deleted Edited by SLCfirsttimer
Deleted

[quote name='mysaddlebred000']I can't believe some of you people. Did you get a refund ? - did they compensate you ? - let us know if there is an obc, future credits or compensation offered from Princess. Since when has Princess been responsible for the weather???

[/quote]

While I would agree with true weather delays, but after getting delayed due to wind last Tuesday, you would think that after seeing a similar forecast for yesterday that Princess would have scheduled additional tugs to help yesterday. Of course it may have been an availability issue on the tugs, but either way they could have kept the passengers better informed of the issue, both today, and when I was aboard last Tuesday. In the case of Tuesday it is true we were about 90 minutes behind schedule when boarding started due to morning fog, but that does not explain being almost 5 hours late pulling away from the dock, with no announcements about the cause of the delay.

Sail away 10:52 AM Nov 17, 2014 in Gulf of Mexico 1:17PM Nov 17, 2014. Looking to stop using Bayport many. Carnival looking at options. Not a hole lot. C Magic, C Triumph, Navigator of the Sea, and another Carnival Ship using Galveston Now. Norwegian Jewel and Emerald Princess using Bayport.
Just like the Florida East Coast there is not a lot of docking space available. PC just added new terminal for RCL and they will be running three of there older ships out of there. DCL has three right now. Carnival has two or three and there are other off and on visitors. You cannot get anymore ships in at other two ports. Cruise industry is on fire and there are more new ships coming.

I live about 10 minutes from Bayport and we have had very unusual weather, high winds and cold, brrrr. I totally agree, I would be very upset with any cruise line at any port that did not keep their passengers aware of what is going on when delayed. However, I think most lines have delays, granted not 18+ hours but that's a chance we take when we cruise and an excellent reason to have travel insurance tho I'm not sure it would help, something like this is not the fault of the cruise lines. Yes, it is unfortunate to have an issue and a disappointment to miss a port but these are the same people that would be jumping on the bandwagon if passengers were injured due to the negligence of the cruise line. Sometimes you can't win for losing.

Hope everyone has a great cruise...you're on vacation! Woo hoooo

Parents are on the EP and I would get a laugh when I'd see mom calling me to give a status update. She's not really that upset, but sometimes the human mind builds that impatience up when the first glimmer of inconvenience is experienced. The problem here was that there was only a single announcement made between yesterday evening and 10am this morning. As much of a good time as they're having (with my aunt and uncle, who are first-timers), she did mention that this will be the last time they'd like to cruise out of POH, due to the precedent that was set with last winter's delays in/out of that port.

But lo, before she powered off, she said all is going well and the group of 4 is excited for the week.

That is probably why the noro outbreak news is all over the internet - someone called a news station. Why do people have to be the FIRST to post bad news or rumors about things?[/QUOTE]

You are so correct. Princess has no control over the weather and why do all these people express their negativity at the cruise line???
I have lived in the Houston area for over 30 years and this weather we are having this week is very unusual, so just go with the flow and accept it. If you are so concerned, cruise from another port...these prices from Houston are phenomenal .
We leave on Feb 1 on the Emerald and possibly again on March 1st because it is an easy get away.....
Last year we dealt with fog and just had to deal with it...so just suck it up and enjoy your trip!!! Some people will just whine and complain about everything..

[quote name='eclue']You are so correct. Princess has no control over the weather and why do all these people express their negativity at the cruise line???
I have lived in the Houston area for over 30 years and this weather we are having this week is very unusual, so just go with the flow and accept it. If you are so concerned, cruise from another port...these prices from Houston are phenomenal .
We leave on Feb 1 on the Emerald and possibly again on March 1st because it is an easy get away.....
Last year we dealt with fog and just had to deal with it...so just suck it up and enjoy your trip!!! Some people will just whine and complain about everything..[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI the New Orleans new cruise terminal is under construction ... Rumor has it that it will be home to both princess and disney cruise lines ! It will be located at Poland ave and is suppose to be complete sometime next year .
Also it will be capable of handling some of the larger ships due to the depth of the Mississippi ...

[quote name='eclue']You are so correct. Princess has no control over the weather and why do all these people express their negativity at the cruise line???
Last year we dealt with fog and just had to deal with it...so just suck it up and enjoy your trip!!! Some people will just whine and complain about everything..[/QUOTE]

People didn't whine and complain. Several of us asked a few questions about how Princess was handling the situation and if Princess had offered compensation. I do not see where anyone blamed Princess for the weather nor where anyone demanded Princess open the coffers and give everyone a refund or handfuls of OBC.

While I am not on this cruise knowing this information is important to me as I will be sailing from Houston on the 30th and would like to know how things were handled by the cruise line in this situation.

[quote name='RJ2002']Sounds like you are on board. What are they saying about refunds?[/QUOTE]

I have to chuckle with this question. There are no refunds when "weather" issues affect this port. Princess says suck it up for choosing to sail out of a problematic Houston. They will quite readily refund any port fees for all of the ports that will be missed, but that is all. We were on the Thanksgiving cruise from Bayport last year that was nothing but problematic, and my view is still to avoid at all cost with other ports being available for getting our Princess fix.

[quote name='Cruisedolls']Just an FYI the New Orleans new cruise terminal is under construction ... Rumor has it that it will be home to both princess and disney cruise lines ! It will be located at Poland ave and is suppose to be complete sometime next year .
Also it will be capable of handling some of the larger ships due to the depth of the Mississippi ...[/QUOTE]

Gee... No weather issues there. :)

[quote name='SLCfirsttimer']While I am not on this cruise knowing this information is important to me as I will be sailing from Houston on the 30th and would like to know how things were handled by the cruise line in this situation.[/QUOTE]

Same here. We cruise in December and while I am not going to obsess about the weather conditions 6 weeks from now, I, too would like to know how Princess handles delays.

We were on a HAL cruise in Canada this summer which was delayed leaving one of the ports for several hours. The captain kept us very well informed about what was going on.

Two issues here.

Weather - not much Princess can do except reconsider the port in the future...

Communications - an oft repeated Princess problem. While it doesn't rise to the level of compensation, it consistently bugs me that this is such an easy to fix issue but they never do (and it happens on all ships and at the corporate level every time there is an abnormal operating condition)