FV for 3 Adults on the Constellation

bhealy

Hello,

I was able to book a corner FV for a European cruise next year. We decided to invite my MIL to go with us, but after reading some posts I am wondering if we made a mistake. We have taken her on two cruises, but both times she had her own room/bath. The only alternative cost wise is to book two insides. The two insides would be 1k less, but don’t include the 1,2,3 promo. We currently have free grats and free drink packages for two.

What would you do?

The answer to this might be different for everyone, but personally, I wouldn't want my MIL in my cabin. I wouldn't mind cruising with her at all but I'd want more privacy then having MIL in a FV would provide.

The FV cabins on the M class ships do not have a totally different bedroom. There is a sitting room that can be patitioned off a bit with a sliding room divider but it is not going to block out noise like a separate room. The sitting room has two sofa beds each with a slightly different configuration for the extra guests. In order to get from the sitting room to the bathroom or out of the cabin the sitting room occupant must pass through the main part of the cabin. Also, in order to get from the main part of the cabin to the veranda you must pass through the sitting room. Keep in mind there is only one bathroom in the cabin. While the sitting room does have some cabinet storage space there is no separate hanging closet in that room although there should be plenty of closet space in the main part of the cabin for three.

I have photos of a couple of these cabins (several years old) on my photo site:

Edited by Lsimon

I wouldn't worry too much about it. We brought my father-in-law with us last year in a regular veranda cabin and we were just fine.

I'm assuming you're talking about shared spaces like the bathroom and such. Just try to time things right. Figure out who takes the longest to get ready and always start with that person. If your running behind someone can always go shower up at the spa/gym. That is a suggestion I've heard plenty of times on CC.

Edited by chrismakris

We were in a Concierge Class C1 Sunset Aft Cabin on The Summit (Southern Caribbean - January 2013)

There were 4 FVs and 4 C1s in our hallway. The majority of the FVs were occupied by 3 Adults at that time of year

From what we saw / heard from our Neighbours they had plenty of room and it wasn't an inconvenience or intolerable (many report here on CC that the FVs are the next best thing to a suite) situation for 3 Adults at all

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

My spouse and I had the great pleasure of sailing in a corner FV on the Infinity last year. It's an incredible cabin and the balcony (really a private deck) is fantastic. But the drawback of adding another adult is that there's only one bathroom (as you know) AND that bathroom can only be accessed by walking through the "main" bedroom. So if, for example, your MIL needs to get up and go during the night, she'll be walking through your bedroom. Also, the divider between the two rooms is not a solid door, only a translucent slider.

I'm not big on sharing a bathroom or a hotel room or a ship's cabin with anyone but my spouse, but that's me. Only you know your relationship with your MIL and can really assess the privacy and other issues.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

(I wanted to post some pix of the FV here, but the Photobucket site is not responding. You can certainly find plenty doing a search here and also on YouTube.)

Thanks everyone.

The room arrangement is what has me concerned. If only there was a separate hallway to the bathroom and door. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable coming through the room to exit or use the bathroom. The solution may be for us to take the sofa bed since she is the early riser. We really don't want to give up a balcony.

The points Lsimon brings forward would be the ones I too would consider.

We have stayed in a corner FV on several "M" class ships, and for us having the M.I.L. share the cabin would not have worked at all.......never.........ever.....but your mother in law may be different.

There is only the one standard sized bathroom, accessible through the main bedroom. The slider separating the area is as pointed out a translucent divider. While there would be enough closet space, once again as pointed out all the closets are in the main bedroom.

The FV option in my opinion could work for a family with children but not with my mother-in-law.

Thanks everyone.

The room arrangement is what has me concerned. If only there was a separate hallway to the bathroom and door. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable coming through the room to exit or use the bathroom. The solution may be for us to take the sofa bed since she is the early riser. We really don't want to give up a balcony.

Here's a photo showing the main part of the cabin and the second room (with the sofa beds) behind it; the room divider is open in this photo. The door to the bathroom is on the right in the foreground. If someone is sleeping on a sofa bed, the path to the balcony is blocked. If someone is sleeping in the main room, anyone wanting to use the bathroom (or enter or leave the cabin) has to walk past them.

Infinityourcabin1024x789_zpsde66cf26.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

The points Lsimon brings forward would be the ones I too would consider.

We have stayed in a corner FV on several "M" class ships, and for us having the M.I.L. share the cabin would not have worked at all.......never.........ever.....but your mother in law may be different.

The FV option in my opinion could work for a family with children but not with my mother-in-law.

Agree, it's great with the kids - absolutely loved our FV on Infinity, but wouldn't consider sharing with MIL or even my own DM :eek:. There's no privacy and as others have stated, the one bathroom is an issue if someone needs to use the toilet during the night. Difference with kids is that they wake you anyway if they want to use the bathroom (that's if you're not already awake :rolleyes:). Always put my DH on the side closest to the kids, even when we have connecting cabins, just for that reason :D.

Hello,

I was able to book a corner FV for a European cruise next year. We decided to invite my MIL to go with us, but after reading some posts I am wondering if we made a mistake. We have taken her on two cruises, but both times she had her own room/bath. The only alternative cost wise is to book two insides. The two insides would be 1k less, but don’t include the 1,2,3 promo. We currently have free grats and free drink packages for two.

What would you do?

What I would do in that situation would be to try to book the MIL into the nearby inside cabin.

That way she would have a regular, comfortable bed to sleep in instead of the uncomfortable couch, with her own bathroom and closet, and everyone would have privacy.

All of you could still share the large FV balcony.

If the additional cost of the inside cabin is a concern, she could invite a friend or another family member along to share it.

Since those inside cabins are not very inviting, they would probably only be in there to sleep, use the bathroom and change clothes, so the tight space should not be a problem as they could share your large balcony the rest of the time.

You could even give each of them a key to your FV cabin and let them know they were free to use it even when you were not there.

In addition to giving you privacy, another big advantage is that

it would enable you to enjoy the use of your FV living area because the couch in there would not be made up as a bed every evening.

No way would I want to have a third adult sleeping in there, needing to walk back and forth through my bedroom each time to get to the bathroom or the closet, or to enter or leave the cabin.

Those translucent sliding panels just divide the room in half but they do not provide any real privacy.

Edited by fleckle