Sell me on the Carribbean

txflood33

If you head away from the shopping and beaches, that's where the interesting stuff is.

Very true. The OP says he is into history. These islands have an interesting history, but most people don't care. They need a winter break. If you don't need that, save your money and travel somewhere you really want to see.

Yes, there are differences between the 3 I listed....but Jamaica was a dump and many of the places are very commercialized.

I just got back from a Med tour and it was amazing. The buildings in Rome and Athens were enormous. I've read the history and didn't really do a tour, I wanted to see the massive structure. It was truly an amazing trip...3 continents, 5 countries round trip in 14 days. Sitting in a street cafe in Rome is different than sitting in a cafe in Mykonos. How different are they in Aruba compared to St Croix?

If I am looking to travel and see different people/cultures, I need to know what to budget. Caribbean cruises allow domestic airfare. Am I missing something in the Caribbean? Are the cultures that different in the islands? Or will my trip look like snorkeled on this island, parasailed on this island, zip-lined through the jungle on this island, drank a lot and went home?

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking this vacation. I'm simply asking if there is more to the islands than meets the eye. From my experience, and from both good and bad reviews I have read, they seem similar.

Yes of course the differences between Caribbean islands are a whole lot more subtle than those between European countries, though Greek islands for instance are less varied than those in the Caribbean.

But you're talking a whole different experience at a whole different cost.

And I'm guessing your Med cruise wasn't mid-winter.

The Caribbean is closer & cheaper for most Americans.

And for Europeans it's more varied than any other winter hot-spots for the same money.

Want cheaper, easier, laid-back & lazy, a lot warmer than home?

The Caribbean is probably the best choice.

Want to see iconic sights, soak up history, experience different cultures, look to sea-days for re-charging your batteries in a hectic itinerary?

The Med is one of the top contenders.

Each to their own, but many of us have no loyalties & will vary our choices according to circumstances.

JB :)

Guest maddycat
Okay, then go to Bermuda, as that is not Caribbean.

I agree. Bermuda is actually different than the Caribbean. It's very interesting. And of course, if you want something different and beautiful, there is Alaska.

Many of us are sitting in a mid November deep freeze so any cruise to the Caribbean beats this!

Personally, I don't find the history in the Caribbean all that interesting, once you've had the basic introduction. The triangle of trade that took place there is not part of the grand history of the world, with the slave and rum trade being part of the colonial experience.

Alaska is God's country and traveling around Europe on a Baltic or Mediterranean cruise are SO much more interesting.

The Caribbean gets the nod for a cheaper vacation in the winter, though.

For us, after nearly 80 cruises, the ship is the destination, not the ports in the Caribbean. No cooking, cleaning or hassles of home for 10 days or more. We might get off the ship and walk around some, but staying on the ship IS the vacation.

Yes, the insane airfare for a 7 day cruise doesn't seem right, but why only a 7 day cruise? Take a 14 day cruise and go the South Pacific or cruise to Hawaii. How about doing a Panama Canal cruise? That's very different and might interest you. But if you're stuck with only doing 7 days, no one here will be able to convince you or talk you into why you should spend your money on something you obviously aren't interested in doing.

Well

I was basically sold on the islands and clear blue waters/ white sand beaches in the Caribbean along with its historic value like St kitts/san juan fort.. (the pictures/adventures on CC was really the bargaining chip)

And the ironic thing is...I'm from a year round summer place and Im going to the Caribbean.

:cool: