Zuiderdam updates needed

penguinscott

Thinking of booking a cruise for next month on Zuiderdam. Has anyone sailed on her in the past few months? I'd love some info beyond the recent reviews.

Who is her current CD (or is there an easy way to find out)?

Any issues we should be aware of?

Offering any happy hour specials?

How is the quality of the burger bar?

Tips, things we should know?

Thank you.

Thinking of booking a cruise for next month on Zuiderdam. Has anyone sailed on her in the past few months? I'd love some info beyond the recent reviews.

Who is her current CD (or is there an easy way to find out)?

Any issues we should be aware of?

Offering any happy hour specials?

How is the quality of the burger bar?

Tips, things we should know?

We were on her two weeks ago. CD was Hamish Davis - nice fellow.

Happy hour specials 4-5 PM in Crows Nest and one other bar. Second drink a $1.

The new Dive In burger bar was great! Try the cheese covered fries. Burgers very good quality.

Did not note any negative issues - other than late in getting luggage delivered to cabins.

Tip - Internet cost is different. 75 cents per minute OR $9.99 for 30 minutes OR unlimited usage for a set fee (on our 11 day I think it was $149). Wi-fi access was weaker the further we got from North America. Great speed at times, poor at other times.

Great crew - everyone very positive and helpful. Best HAL crew we have encountered in 15 trips.

I am sure you will enjoy this ship.

If you are going on a partial Panama Canal cruise - be sure to view the lock operations from the aft as well as the bow. I thought that the aft view was better, being very close to the gates. We did not care for Cartagena at all. Its a short stop (which caused problems in everyone getting back on at 12:30 PM) and the city was not all that much to see (plus the street vendors were in your face everywhere you went - even on ship tours).

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

We were also on Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago. I agree with DaveOKC that the crew was great. However I did hear a few complaints about weak A/C in some cabins and there were some problems with public restrooms. It seemed to me that many were out of service frequently.

Say hi to Roger at the Ocean Bar.

We were on the Zuiderdam last may (more than a few months ago) and had a great cruise. Thought the ship was in top shape. Staff was wonderful and food was very good.

Interesting to see that Hamish is still onboard. He was the CD back in May. Hopefully he's had a vacation. :) One warning.... you may tire of the way he closes his PA announcements. ;)

We thought the Dive Inn was good as well, though on the occasion we dined there at lunch, our hamburger buns were cold, as if they'd just been removed from the refrigerator. Hopefully that was just a one-off.

Don't think you'd be disappointed in Zuiderdam.

Just disembarked Zuiderdam on November 17. Partial Panama 10 day cruise. Our cabin 4152 had air conditioning problems that could not be resolved. Could not get the temperature below 77F. First world problems.

We were offered to be moved to 5113 and given an OBC but the verandah was much smaller. The guest relations manager, Andres worked hard to make us comfortable. We kept our original cabin and were given an inside cabin 4158 across the hall for sleeping. We often entertained our travel mates on our verandah before dinner so this worked well.

Near the end of the cruise we received a letter of apology with a much more generous OBC.

I believe we were treated fairly.

The CD Hamish was a lot of fun and I think he was perfect for the type of itinerary.

The unlimited internet was $149 for the duration of the cruise. I don't think the speed was much better than other cruises but I appreciated not watching the minutes tick away every time I logged on and off. Login was quick and easy. I hope they roll this out fleet wide.

Laundry service was fast. Always next day.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Want to add one tip:

keep your drapes closed as much as possible to help the air conditioning out. It was not bad in our cabin, but we could feel the difference in the hot and humid climates.

Of course, this would not help the other posters who did not have air conditioning at all - so sorry to hear that.

DaveOKC

Internet is for multiple devices. One can be logged in at a time. We are 4 star so no discount for us. Not sure how it works for 5 star

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by senorjim

"Woo Hoo Hamish" is wonderful CD. The "Woo Hoos" are an acquired taste (he tends to be a bit more circumspect when he's announcing from the bridge LOL) He was very personable and approachable around the ship. His good cheer is totally infectious. I'd "woo hoo" with him anytime. Great guy.

Edited by shrimp56

Totally agree with all posters. We were on 10/17 on 10 day canal and loved everything about the ship. The food was great, crew was one of the best HAL has, even though we do like the Noordam. Capt. Thomas is fantastic and liked by everyone.

We were in 6074 and had no AC problems but the afternoon sun can be very hot in the tropics, good suggestion to keep drapes partially closed if sun coming in.

Ship was spotless, there was some worn spots on furniture but you really had to look hard to see them. Service was excellent. We would sail her again. Hope the Maasdam is the same, we are spoiled by the Z.

Don't miss the Caribbean BBQ on aft pool deck, get there early they ran out of ribs which were delish. Unlimited Margaritas were soooo good.

Escargo was excellent, if you like it. Everything we ate was very good, cheese plate is really nice. Lobster, had 2 instead of steak and it was excellent. Any questions I have the Daily Activity. Linda