On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of this cruise which we will be

taking this upcoming October.

Can you recall approximately how long you were at the beach for lunch, swimming, etc? If we decide not to stay for lunch, does the trip include

swimming with the sharks and rays, then heading back to the ship after

letting off the lunch group?

I was going to sign up with our roll call, but it shows $80 per person with lunch, rather than the $50 you indicated. I think we'll just walk on as you did, rather than pre- singing up for the tour.

Thanks again for all your information.

Pam

I was going to sign up with our roll call, but it shows $80 per person with lunch, rather than the $50 you indicated. I think we'll just walk on as you did, rather than pre- singing up for the tour.

7,000.00 XPF = 63.0831 USD

This is the exchange rate just now

Hiro's Website says 7,000 For Tour A

There could be a change in currency exchange rate since we cruised last year. I don't see how it could be $80.00, though. BTW, IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BOOK IN ADVANCE. Contact Hiros by email to ask any questions. He'll likely say just head on over to his boat when you arrive on the tender (Get one of the first tenders)

You may want to google hirotour Moorea (CC won't usually let us post links)

Hiro's was truly a day to remember, one of the best days of the cruise.

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of this cruise which we will be

taking this upcoming October.

Can you recall approximately how long you were at the beach for lunch, swimming, etc? If we decide not to stay for lunch, does the trip include

swimming with the sharks and rays, then heading back to the ship after

letting off the lunch group?

Thanks again for all your information.

Pam

When I got to Hiro's boat and realized you didn't need a reservation through the roll call to sign up I asked if there was any difference in price between a walk-on and someone on the roll call. The answer was that it was all the same price - no roll call discount.

When we paid our money we were given a ribbon to tie around our wrist. A pink ribbon for those just taking the tour and a blue ribbon for those who paid for lunch. Other than that, the tour was exactly the same for both groups. Both groups do exactly the same thing - except eat. Those who don't pay for lunch can enjoy the Motu - swim, snorkel, etc. And I don't think you need the blue ribbon to enjoy the beverages they provide - water, juices and beer.

We were at the beach for maybe an hour and a half to two hours - but you can stay longer and take the next boat back. They run the same boat back and forth between the dock and Motu - so you can elect to take the boat that brought you back to the dock - or take a later one. The amount of time you spend on the Motu is really up to you - until the last boat.

Great pictures. Loved reading about your adventure. We are thinking about doing this cruise and one question pops in mind that I have not been able to find the answer to so far. Are any vaccinations recommended or required ?

Hey beach_fever_4ever, we have been waiting on you to "Jump-on-board"! We would love to have you as our next Roll Call Member!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031190&page=180

Mike, aka RetiredNTraveling

Great pictures. Loved reading about your adventure. We are thinking about doing this cruise and one question pops in mind that I have not been able to find the answer to so far. Are any vaccinations recommended or required ?

None required by Princess or the countries visited, but talk to your doctor about your own health situation. The main thing to remember is mosquito repellant, using it faithfully; this will prevent many of the diseases transmitted that way.

Are there any required or recommended vaccinations for this 28 day cruise?

No, there are no required or recommended vaccinations for this cruise.

Although, to be perfectly honest with you, in the process of preparing for this cruise I did have several shots - mostly tequila, but some rum ones also.:)

The camera I use is an Olympus Tough TG-3

16534322434_6a6fd77238_o.jpg

It is a great little camera - waterproof to 50 feet and has built in GPS and Wi-Fi. I think I paid $349 (maybe $399 - can't remember for sure)for it and it came with card, case, and extra battery. It is fairly popular camera - I saw several people on the cruise using it.

If you get an underwater camera, go online and read up on taking shots underwater. There are a few differences that can make your pictures a little better.

Thank you.

7,000.00 XPF = 63.0831 USD

This is the exchange rate just now

Hiro's Website says 7,000 For Tour A

There could be a change in currency exchange rate since we cruised last year. I don't see how it could be $80.00, though. BTW, IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BOOK IN ADVANCE. Contact Hiros by email to ask any questions. He'll likely say just head on over to his boat when you arrive on the tender (Get one of the first tenders)

You may want to google hirotour Moorea (CC won't usually let us post links)

Hiro's was truly a day to remember, one of the best days of the cruise.

I agree, $80 seems like a BIG jump - too big for just one year. Hopefully there was an error. And you are absolutely correct - no advance reservation is required. And to reinforce what you pointed out - get on the first boat. Try and catch an early tender ashore and head over to Hiro's boat.

Snorkeling was another activity on the Motu. It was not as clear as other sites because the water was so shallow. As a result, there was a lot of cloudiness in the water as waders and swimmers and snorkelers stirred up some of the seabed. Still, there were some very interesting coral and fish to be seen.

17221193002_32b4c64062_b.jpg

17222339431_74bddd7b73_b.jpg

Up close and personal. I was just about to take a picture of a Ray when this fellow swam right in front of my lens just as I snapped the photo.

17035359580_4bae1c481a_b.jpg

The water around the Motu is very shallow - which lets you walk out quite a ways from shore. If you do, you will find some interesting and attractive corals.

17047538639_fca77e5fd0_b.jpg

17207766486_cc2250e430_b.jpg

17047537669_9442be89db_b.jpg

Almost stepped on this fellow - he was in less than two feet of water and just a few feet off the beach.

17045956728_652c43a6b5_b.jpg

The water around the Motu is very shallow - which lets you walk out quite a ways from shore. If you do, you will find some interesting and attractive corals.

Almost stepped on this fellow - he was in less than two feet of water and just a few feet off the beach.

17045956728_652c43a6b5_b.jpg

I LOVED just sitting in the water and letting the rays swim around me.

Totally spoils you for any of the "swim with the sting rays" excursions in the Caribbean! :D

We caught the first boat back to the ship and waved goodbye to shipmates that stayed for a later boat.

17058154669_fbf68c3289_b.jpg

On the way we passed another Motu. This one was a little crowded! Also, the bottom dropped off almost immediately - little opportunity to wade out. Glad we took the Hiro tour!

16624151213_c276269d91_b.jpg

An almost deserted shoreline as we headed back to port.

17243790881_1b49807e02_b.jpg

I LOVED just sitting in the water and letting the rays swim around me.

Totally spoils you for any of the "swim with the sting rays" excursions in the Caribbean! :D

You are absolutely correct. It is sort of a Free Willie thing. Those places in the Caribbean are caged rays. Here in the islands they swim free and the difference is really amazing.

On the way back, our guide sailed in a little closer to the shoreline and we were able to see some of the vacation homes. No idea how much they cost, but probably well worth it.

16632066174_5e199cb10c_b.jpg

This photo was taken shortly after we left the Motu and you can see the orange topped building to the left - that is the port. Shows how close to the port our Motu was - probably less than two miles.

17047106477_d44505ee98_b.jpg

The clouds were starting to settle in a little bit by afternoon, but it remained warm and pleasant.

17047105127_8394a625d3_b.jpg

None required by Princess or the countries visited, but talk to your doctor about your own health situation. The main thing to remember is mosquito repellant, using it faithfully; this will prevent many of the diseases transmitted that way.

I meant to comment on this earlier...we always carry a repellent with us, but I can report that we did not see a single mosquito on this trip. Of course we did not go very far inland on any of the islands and stayed mostly on the coast where you are less likely to find mosquitos. But Karetgv advice is worth heeding.

Our first (very) early morning view of Bora Bora.

17068491617_5d00e144c4_b.jpg

The clouds were hanging low and this was the one port where we had a fair amount of rain.

17274119362_1ce7854b44_b.jpg

The island grew larger as we sailed through the reefs surrounding the island and made our way through Passe Teavuni and headed towards Rade de Vaitape.

17088143618_a9406697c0_b.jpg

You are absolutely correct. It is sort of a Free Willie thing. Those places in the Caribbean are caged rays. Here in the islands they swim free and the difference is really amazing.

I have done "swim with the rays" thing where the rays are in an enclosure, but I think the one you showed in your photos would be much more authentic. The fact that there were sharks there as well would be an added bonus - assuming the sharks were not aggressive. :)