On board expense account

estruc31

If I'm using a debit card as my option for the account, does it charge everything at the end of the cruise or each time I use it during the cruise?

Using a debit card actually puts a hold on funds daily, and then charges at the end. Depending on your bank, the holds may or may not expire with the charge at the end of the cruise.

An alternative is to opt for a cash account. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay it down. Then on the last night of the cruise, use your debt card to pay off the account. This does have the disadvantage of having to stand in line on the last night, but you will also not get any holds on your account this way.

Edited by clarea

I have used a debit card on my last three cruises with no problems. I have never noticed a hold on my funds and the charges do not hit until the end of the cruise. Since we buy the drink package, we rarely go over $400 in total on board expenses.

We used debit card and when we got back found daily charges on hold plus total charge cleared! Took 7 days for each day to come off. Learned after that to set up cash then use debit card to pay at end. Much simpler. No problems since.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I'm using a debit card as my option for the account, does it charge everything at the end of the cruise or each time I use it during the cruise?

the account is closed out the last night and the hold will be a verty high amount that can take weeks to be realsed.. leaving you UNABLE to access those funds for long after the cruise ends.

if you cannot use a credit card, then consider using CASH to pay it off before debarking.

a US bank debit card is the worst way to secure an on board account

Under no circumstance would I use a debit card.

Too many horror stories.

I agree I just use my credit card, not worth the hassle using debt. Perfect also you dont have to stand in line. Being from Canada if i have some extra us funds on hand around the end of the cruise and there is not a large line i will try to use some of that money up.

Logged a credit card/debit card but pay with cash on the last night.

That'll wat i'll be doing

Even if you pay the bill in cash, using a debit card to secure the account can cause holds to be put on your funds.

For everyone saying. Debit card gets a very high hold on it for weeks, when did you experience this? I sailed in March and September using my debit card and did not experience that situation!

It all depends on how the financial institution processes holds. Some people report no holds, others report holds that holds last a week or more.

Bob, that is my point exactly. What has happened to others, may not happen to you. You should always check with you bank or credit union to see what their policy is when deciding. I just hate everyone telling someone they are going to get this long hold for possibly weeks when it may not be true for them.

Thanks!

Pennie

Bob, that is my point exactly. What has happened to others, may not happen to you. You should always check with you bank or credit union to see what their policy is when deciding. I just hate everyone telling someone they are going to get this long hold for possibly weeks when it may not be true for them.

Thanks!

Pennie

Or the blanket statement that debit cards are not secure :rolleyes: I guess that depends on who you bank with. Ive had my VISA debit card compromised twice in the last few years and my bank cancelled it immediately, gave me another card on the spot (temp card until new one came in) and put the money back in my account THAT DAY both times. Their fraud dept handled it from there and I never heard another word about it.

With that said, I just set my onboard account up as a cash account.

Edited by ryano