Amtrak Cascades at Night?

GatorGirl57

I am looking at booking our Amtrak Cascades trip to Vancouver for a Carnival cruise that leaves on a Monday afternoon. I want to take the Sunday night train (leaves at 6:50pm and sunset is 7:43pm) so that I can have two days in Seattle (Saturday and most of Sunday) and still see a little of Vancouver Monday morning. I am hesitant because it seems the train ride is very scenic and I don't want to miss that either if it will be too dark. Thoughts?? Or will it still be nice in the dark??

We took the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle after a cruise a couple of years ago in September. The train left at about 5:30 PM. The views in Canada were gorgeous, and we reached the US/Canada border at about sunset. After that it got dark very quickly, and we couldn't see anything from the border to Seattle.

It's still a good, cost effective way to travel, and I would do it again. Another possible discount is the 10% one offered for AAA members.

It's a gorgeous trip so if you can I would recommend you do it during the daylight hours. One caveat, it rains a lot in the NorthWest. Can you be flexible? i.e. nice day go early, rainy day go later?

And one nationalist house-team plug here. I've been to both cities and Vancouver wins by a long shot!

Edited by DirtyDawg

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to book the train for Monday morning and miss seeing Vancouver for this trip - I decided it was better to see one place well, rather than two places a little bit. It also seems I would really be missing out if I took the night train. Thanks!

During most of the summer it is not really a "night train" but a "sunset train".

The prettiest part of the trip is immediately south of Bellingham, between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon. The train leaves Bellingham at 7:49 and Mt. Vernon at 8:19. You didn't say when your cruise was, but if it is in June or July in particular, remember our days up here are long. It will be light until 10pm, and the sun will not have even set when you leave Bellingham. You will have a beautiful sunset view out over the Puget Sound. There will some light in the sky until you almost get to Seattle.

By September the days will have shortened up considerably and it will be dark a lot sooner, but if you coming in mid-summer, you will have plenty of light.

Edited by zephyr17

OP, I would suggest booking Business Class if you can/want to. Your luggage is pulled off and Business Class passengers are allowed priority disembarkation when you get to the station in Vancouver for Canada Customs and Immigration. Trust me, if the train is full this will make a HUGE difference. :)